Pup Biting A Lot! And Mainly Females

Mpup89

So I got my Siberian Husky pup (10 weeks) 2 night ago and has been adapting pretty well. Has toilet training pretty much down now. Knows where to sleep (apart from the occasional nap on the bed when I am not looking.

The first 2 days he was pretty good with his biting. He would bite a lot of objects, not just his toys which I know is very normal for a pup.

However, today he has lost the plot. He has been biting absolutely everything in site. Metal cages, wooden cupboards, grass roots, toys and for some reason he has been biting every girl that has come to the house so much more than any of the males. He wont bite me and or of my male friends but he will not stop biting my girlfriend or any other female who comes to the house.

I have sent him outside many times today as punishment for biting too hard. Whenever he bites anything he is not supposed to I put one of his toys near his face and encourage him to bite that. That lasts a whole 10 seconds before he moves onto something else.

SOMEONE HELP!!

Firstly, this is normal, he hasn't gone crazy :laugh: He's feeling more settled, he's comfortable so he's playing and happy.

He is probably biting females more than males because they make a much better squeaky noise than males.

Don't bother sending him outside as punishment - if you want to use 'time out' (which I'm no big fan of anyway) you need to put him somewhere boring and unrewarding - the bathroom or laundry for example - not somewhere there's things to see and something to do.

When he bites the person he is biting needs to react in exactly the same way you react otherwise he's going to learn he can nibble on guests but not on you.

Best thing IMO is a sharp GRR, firmly but kindly grab his muzzle and gently and calmly hold his mouth closed so he can't physically bite, then when he calms down slightly (you can see their body language change), release a little of the pressure and if he moves his mouth away, praise and reward (treat, toy, pat). If he goes for another nibble, repeat just slightly more firmly. There is no need to yell, smack, shake or cause any pain at all but if he doesn't respond to the calmest and most gentle correction you do have to be a touch firmer - just like his mother would have been.

Definitely use his toys as a distraction, but toys that do nothing are never going to be as exciting as people who react.

Also, I suppose everyone is coming to see the new puppy? It wouldn't be a bad idea to separate him from the visitors when they first arrive. Let them come in, sit down, get over the 'excitement' of the arrival - then let the pup out. Excitement is contagious especially with dogs.

today he has lost the plot.

No..today he relaxed and is acting like a normal puppy with inexperienced owners :)

Puppies bite- they don't have fingers & hands.

I do recommend , as you have a breed which will need a lot of direction and smart owners ... that you start N I L I F

There is also good info in THIS LINK

and a good idea or three in THIS LINK , to do with a malamute pup.

Edited by persephone

I foster dogs and the majority of them come to me quite mouthy. Firstly as a pup consider teething issues so make sure you get him some appropriate chew toys and keep them on hand to replace body parts he might be trying to bite (distract method). Other things to try is to squeal in a high pitched voice when he bites you (just as another puppy would do to indicate he is hurting you). I tend to use this when I am attacked from behind unexpectedly. A firm "Uh" command is also worth trying if you are playing and he starts to get rough.

With older foster dogs I have turned mouthing into a 'touch' command. Whenever I go up to the dog I don't wait for him to grab my hand or clothes in his mouth to make contact. I hold a loose fist down low but to the side of his head and say 'Domino touch' and when he does he gets praised. It is hard to latch onto a loose fist so they tend to learn to nose it fairly quickly and of course getting the contact and praise is far more rewarding than what they get by mouthing.

I know it's hard but don't roll around with your pup letting him bite you or your clothing thinking it is cute one minute but then reprimand them for doing the same thing when you are not in the same kind of mood. Consistency is important - no chewing on furniture or curtains or their bedding either.

Firstly, this is normal, he hasn't gone crazy :laugh: He's feeling more settled, he's comfortable so he's playing and happy.

He is probably biting females more than males because they make a much better squeaky noise than males.

Don't bother sending him outside as punishment - if you want to use 'time out' (which I'm no big fan of anyway) you need to put him somewhere boring and unrewarding - the bathroom or laundry for example - not somewhere there's things to see and something to do.

When he bites the person he is biting needs to react in exactly the same way you react otherwise he's going to learn he can nibble on guests but not on you.

Best thing IMO is a sharp GRR, firmly but kindly grab his muzzle and gently and calmly hold his mouth closed so he

can't physically bite, then when he calms down slightly (you can see their body language change), release a little of the pressure and if he moves his mouth away, praise and reward (treat, toy, pat). If he goes for another nibble, repeat just slightly more firmly. There is no need to yell, smack, shake or cause any pain at all but if he doesn't respond to the calmest and most gentle correction you do have to be a touch firmer - just like his mother would have been.

Definitely use his toys as a distraction, but toys that do nothing are never going to be as exciting as people who react.

Also, I suppose everyone is coming to see the new puppy? It wouldn't be a bad idea to separate him from the visitors when they first arrive. Let them come in, sit down, get over the 'excitement' of the arrival - then let the pup out. Excitement is contagious especially with dogs.

*Like* Great advice!

Just wanted to mention, Sandra said that pup is probably mouthing females because they make more fun squeally noises then puppy sniffer suggested a high pitched squeal to let pup know when he's mouthed inappropriately. Could be confusing!

puppy sniffer, hope you don't mind me speaking for you :o - but what she means (I think) is do a high pitched, quick, loud yelp just like a puppy or dog does if you accidentally stand on a paw or something.

The girly squealing us human females do when little puppy mouths come at us is different :)

Never found the high pitched squeal works with high-drive puppies - they seem to go - woo hoo!!!!!!! it squeaked, KILL!!!

:)

after many many years of owning pups/dogs .. I have the gruff/scruff working well... usually only takes one or two attempts for them to realise the consequences.

Thanks to everyone for the replies :)

I have told my girlfriend and whoever else comes to the house that they must be as firm as I. It seems to have worked alright so far. He has been much more well behaved so far today.

Puppy school starts next week for him and I have also contacted a Husky kennel in my state which does specific Husky training which I believe is a must.

Especially for an inexperienced owner like me.

I'm sure I'll come across more problems each day and I'll know where to come for help.

Cheers