Business Must Have Been Bad

Kirislin

Actually, I'm more interested in the source for those stats. Is it the ABS? Probably not because the ABS hasn't started collecting online retails stats yet. Is it Roy Morgan Single Source? Is it the PIAA? What was the sample size of stores and consumers?

I agree, Sheridan. I'd like more info, but would also like the source. My faith in ABS statistics in a number of areas has been shot in the last few years.

1350088220[/url]' post='5984440']
1350079638[/url]' post='5984296']

Actually, I'm more interested in the source for those stats. Is it the ABS? Probably not because the ABS hasn't started collecting online retails stats yet. Is it Roy Morgan Single Source? Is it the PIAA? What was the sample size of stores and consumers?

I agree, Sheridan. I'd like more info, but would also like the source. My faith in ABS statistics in a number of areas has been shot in the last few years.

How so?

Insight into the way they collect and interpret some particular figures - particularly around unemployment.

I used to work in transport planning and policy, and there were real data gaps that many commentators either didn't understand or care about, which meant that the way the data is used can render it misleading at best.

1350098946[/url]' post='5984602']

Insight into the way they collect and interpret some particular figures - particularly around unemployment.

I used to work in transport planning and policy, and there were real data gaps that many commentators either didn't understand or care about, which meant that the way the data is used can render it misleading at best.

Which is the fault of the commentators not the fault of the rigour of the statistics. That there are gaps in the data indicates a lack of money to collect a comprehensive set of data. I have issues with the ABS but it is in the latter not in the rigour of what is collected.

Which is the fault of the commentators not the fault of the rigour of the statistics. That there are gaps in the data indicates a lack of money to collect a comprehensive set of data. I have issues with the ABS but it is in the latter not in the rigour of what is collected.

Agreed - in some cases. However there are other issues with definitions, particularly around unemployment. Eg if you have worked 30 mins one week even doing something ad hoc like babysitting, you're not considered unemployed, even if it was a one off thing for literally 30 mins. If you haven't actively looked for work for a week or so (I've forgotten the exact time period) or have stopped looking for work you're not considered unemployed. Etc etc. It basically means that their figures suggest the unemployment rate is lower than it is. It's just plain wrong.

And lack of money to collect comprehensive data or not, there end point is still a lack of comprehensive data - that's a problem.

1350101392[/url]' post='5984653']
1350100708[/url]' post='5984639']

Agreed - in some cases. However there are other issues with definitions, particularly around unemployment. Eg if you have worked 30 mins one week even doing something ad hoc like babysitting, you're not considered unemployed, even if it was a one off thing for literally 30 mins. If you haven't actively looked for work for a week or so (I've forgotten the exact time period) or have stopped looking for work you're not considered unemployed. Etc etc. It basically means that their figures suggest the unemployment rate is lower than it is. It's just plain wrong.

And lack of money to collect comprehensive data or not, there end point is still a lack of comprehensive data - that's a problem.

I won't disagree with your argument with the definition of employment!

At the Gold Coast Pet Expo recently I couldn't believe the massive stalls set up by more major canine accessory companies and also by new designer style ones. Obviously there is a market out there or they wouldn't bother. Any business has to look at their local market and determine what products will sell to their clientele.

The little pet shop in my local shopping centre recently closed down after 5 years. They sold puppies, kittens, fish and birds from a tiny family run shop and the quality of all the live animals was poor. They also seemed to only stock old fashioned and cheap products for those types of pets on dodgy old shelving. Right next door to them was the coolest florist with designer type homeware gear. Across from them were other interesting looking shops. If the pet shop owner had run with a more designer type of product and open looking shop I think they'd still be in business (without needing to sell animals). Now a Zaraffas coffee shop is in their spot.

I'm not going to jump up and down and say hurray another business has bit the dust because I agree it is sad, but I am certainly happy that at one more location there is no 'for profit' supply and sale of companion animals. How else will the whole BYB and PF issue change?