Dog Door Recommendation

Fozzie

Apologies if there is another thread elsewhere on this but I couldn't find anything recent. I am looking for recommendations on dog doors - specifically ones that go into glass doors. We are moving into a new home soon and would like to put a dog door in for our two labradors. It is not a rental so would prefer to put in something permanent (opposed to an insert). We are looking for something lockable as well. There seem to be some amazing doors available in the US, with special collars to active opening them, but I haven't seen anything like that here.

If you have any experiences, good or bad, recommendations or comments, please let me know :)

My link

I bought patiolink last year, and have been very happy.

We have 2 sliding doors: glass and flyscreen, and had the flyscreen door connected to the patiolink. It can be locked, but to me the lock does not look very strong on our door. Therefore, the sliding glass door is the one we use to lock up properly.

I really love this insert, because in winter it keeps the room warmer, whereas in summer it keeps the bugs out.

Was very lucky, before buying, our trusted local petshop (Pet Depot, Leichhardt) let us try out their 'exhibition/sample' door to make sure it fits properly.

Option A is purpose made insert which comes with 3 deadbolt lock in and key and fits into existing screen surround, has large dog door in base which can be locked if required, trouble is any small human child can also fit through and enter house then unlock inner door for house entry. :(

Option B is also purpose made glass and dog door sliding set up, again size of dog requires large size door which = ease of intruder access.

Both of above options were available through screen and slide door speciality manaufacturers and expensive.

My daughter had one fitted for their British Bulldog and also had a huge heavy dog cage made and it fitted on outside up to area where dog door was allowing dog access in and out of house to pen run during day as a pup and kept him secure as well as house.

My dog refused to use dog door no matter how much luring and rewarding etc so went with indoor downstairs cement area toilet mat, large tarp (waterproof) with newspaper and peice of artificial turf overlay, this can easily be hosed and paper refresed and tarp hosed and also having a few from cheapy shop means I can change around. Dog only uses this when I am away for longer then 8 hours seems very good at holding on, but option is there if he needs it.

sorry - just getting used to DOLF - posted twice accidentally. I meant to add to my post below - some of the companies I approached they wanted to re-design the door, etc. They offered fanciful suggestions. That's why I liked Pet Doors Australia. It was no-nonsense, practical and he delivered on what I wanted (in my glass door). The only thing is I did want a magnetic door but was told that's not possible with the size of my dog (Pomeranian x Spitz), only for very small dogs. Perhaps that's because I asked for this after the original dog door was installed (as I got a cat recently and I don't want the cat using the dog door - but would). Puppy, my other dog, won't use the dog door at all - didn't in my last place either. Just her character.Kisho loves this as he feels special as if it's his own door. Sorry for stuffing up my posts!

Edited by HarperLee

Pet Doors AustraliaHi, this is my first post on DOLF! I recently (June) used Pet Doors Australia to install a custom-made door for my French doors (feature multi-panes). I had just shifted from Canberra to Melbourne and due to my dog, Kisho, having diabetes insipids which means he needs to drink lots and urinate lots - we needed a dog door urgently. I also wanted the best for Kisho and not to ruin the aesthetics of my lounge and doors. They were fantastic. Came out one day and installed the custom-made door the next. Efficient, on-time and most importantly - Kisho is happy and it looks great. I can see you are in Melbourne and they are too. For information, many other companies wouldn't touch it and if you have metal windows / doors, there's now an issue with absestos in the putty so most window/door suppliers won't retrofit. i was lucky the doors had a wood frame (my bay window is metal so this would have asbestos in the putty). Hope this helps.

I have a ' pig in mud' dog door that fits into sliding door.

I love it. You lock it in and when we go away I just slip it straight out for extra security.

I can fit through my dog door but that doesn't really concern me. I figure that if someone wants to break in, they will so I'd rather them not break windows or doors down to get in. Plus anyone who is brave enough to jump into a yard with my two is welcome to anything they want!! They may get in but not get out.

I bought it for my lab x mastiff to fit through years ago and it's still going strong.

Yep, what Baifra said.

I also have a pig in mud door and it is fantastic. I foster dogs and they all learn how to use it in the first day. Easy to move into the screen dOor for summer.

I just put a floor bolt at the back of my door for extra security. But if someone was in my backyard with all my dogs they are going to come in anyway I reckon.

On the opening page of this link, there is a photo of a beagle going through a door. Years ago, I bought one of these from a pet supplies shop and then had a glass company put it in. Because of the sort of glass in my sliding door, they warned me there was a 75% chance that the glass would shatter and then I would need a new door with diffent sort of glass which would accommodate the cutting for the doggy door. Glass shattered :(.

HarperLee, I don't get what they said about magnetic; my door has the magnets and you know the size of my dogs. However, because I have had tiny tiny dogs in the past (and still have one in Myrtie), I have the door propped open most of the time anyway.

If I had the decision to make again, I would get one of those Pig In Mud insert doors.

On the opening page of this link, there is a photo of a beagle going through a door. Years ago, I bought one of these from a pet supplies shop and then had a glass company put it in. Because of the sort of glass in my sliding door, they warned me there was a 75% chance that the glass would shatter and then I would need a new door with diffent sort of glass which would accommodate the cutting for the doggy door. Glass shattered :(.

HarperLee, I don't get what they said about magnetic; my door has the magnets and you know the size of my dogs. However, because I have had tiny tiny dogs in the past (and still have one in Myrtie), I have the door propped open most of the time anyway.

If I had the decision to make again, I would get one of those Pig In Mud insert doors.

Gee - I can't believe they didn't recommend the toughened glass, of course they shatter. The dog door I got for Kisho in Kingston (Canberra), they replaced the whole pane with toughened glass. Quite expensive because it was a very large pane, but worth it. Here in Altona the doggy door is essentially the whole pane because of the style (multi-panes in French doors, very smart!). I think he said it couldn't be magnetic because it is custom-made. If it was a standard off-the-shelf one, which wouldn't fit in my door then it would be ok. I'm glad now I didn't go magnetic as Jem (the kitten / cat) has worked out how to get out while Kisho is coming in - always thought cats would be this clever to do this, even though others have said they wouldn't. Where there's a will there's a way! The ever smart Kisho though won't come through the door when Jem is waiting on the other side. And, if the flap is locked he lets me know he needs to go outside! So we're all happy! :)

...as Jem (the kitten / cat) has worked out how to get out while Kisho is coming in - always thought cats would be this clever to do this, even though others have said they wouldn't. Where there's a will there's a way! The ever smart Kisho though won't come through the door when Jem is waiting on the other side. And, if the flap is locked he lets me know he needs to go outside! So we're all happy! :)

When I had a doggy door that I didn't have to clip open, the dogs soon learned to stand back and wait after one dog had gone through ..... so they wouldn't get whacked on the nose by the swinging door - LOL.

Gussy Cat's door is into my bedroom and she will push through the door, the blinds and the curtains. They is smart !!!

I actually got a couple of quotes for dog doors and installation yesterday - one was $200ish (forgotten exactly) for installation and the door, unless we had toughened glass, in which case it would be $560, because they'd have to replace the whole pane.

I get home and check, and of course we have toughened glass.. :banghead:

Does $560 sound about right for a new pane of glass in a door? I've got no idea..

I actually got a couple of quotes for dog doors and installation yesterday - one was $200ish (forgotten exactly) for installation and the door, unless we had toughened glass, in which case it would be $560, because they'd have to replace the whole pane.

Does $560 sound about right for a new pane of glass in a door? I've got no idea..

yep that is it windscreen in car is $500 so large door is cheap by comparison

Pet Doors Australia charged me $285 for a custom made door - the whole pane had to come out (it is a small pane). In Canberra where I had a large window (every large) it cost close to $600 for small dog door and replacement toughened glass. I found Melbourne prices to be more competitive than Canberra - so $560 sounds right. In Melbourne I really didn't care how much they charged me, I just wanted it done quickly. So I was pleased it was a good job and reasonable price. Hope this assists.