Kennel Club Dog Photographer Of The Year

teekay

Lovely photos but, does anyone else think the husky reflection might be photoshopped? Wouldn't the reflection show more of the underneath of the dog, to me that looks just like the top photo turned upside down. It's effective but I think it's been manufactured. Call me a skeptic I dont care.

Edited by Kirislin

Lovely photos. I agree about the husky photo though, there is something not quite right in that one. I read some of the comments and funnily enough they seemed to think the border collie in classic working mode in a paddock that won was photoshopped? Looks just like a herding shot to me and has probably had no more than a sharpen, crop, colour tweak.

Just gone back and had another look at the husky one. I see what you mean about the edges of the water Jo, something doesn't quite look right. Shame. I actually love the photo without the refection.

Don't particularly like the Border Collie overall winner though.

Is it just me or are a lot of the photos just not that great? I've seen better from a few of our talented DOLers.

Understand Snook, but I wouldn't take anything away from them. The difference is that the winners got off their butts and entered the competition against thousands of entries. It was open free entry and well advertised, and last year's winners are on Flickr to give an idea of the standard.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/thekennelclub/sets/72157627675892818/

Just gone back and had another look at the husky one. I see what you mean about the edges of the water Jo, something doesn't quite look right. Shame. I actually love the photo without the refection.

Don't particularly like the Border Collie overall winner though.

There are some ripples on the water, but not on the reflection :confused:

.... I wonder how widely it was advertised? The border collie was probably shot with a very angle lens.

heh heh - you mean wide or very wide? (I think just slightly wide and in close but it's guesswork without knowing the crop).

Advertising - I think most photographers who enter comps search them out - google photographic competition they are there, add subject wildlife for instance they pop up - in the UK it was in the papers, Kennel Club website, Flickr threads etc. (Entry form fine print indicates where publishing rights and copyright are required, or retained by photographer etc).

Having said that, our local Ag Show has a good photography comp, entries close tomorrow, and dumbo thought it was closing date next week. So I've missed out, I haven't the energy to get something ready and drive into town to get printed, and matt it, and take to the Comp organiser tomorrow. I'll go along on Show Day just to make myself feel worse.