4 Year Old Riley Found With Beloved Dogs

Squidgy

For everyone getting angry with the mum over the dog comment there is nothing worse than not knowing where your lost child is.

We lost our oldest son for over 30 hours in the snow, overnight. The search was called off overnight and you just can't even imagine (unless you have been through it) exactly how horrifying it is to be warm and safe at a camp, while you know your child is out there on his own - not knowing if he is hurt, cold, hungry or worse, dead..

You really don't think of anything other than the child - nothing else matters..

I am ashamed to say I left my youngest at home with friends while we searched for my son and never thought of how he was feeling or my husband - the only thing that mattered was news of the kid.. He ended up in hospital with a broken shoulder, hypothermia, kidney problems because of dehydration and the cold.. I then spent all my time at the hospital until he could come home and my youngest and husband were left to fend for themselves (I was very selfish but that is the way I handled it)...

Apart from losing my husband last year, it was the worst experience of my life..

Please be patient with her, everyone reacts differently..

If it's in the media, it must be true!!! :)

I strongly suspect it's either a misquoted, or taken out of context and twisted comment made by a distraught, stressed mother.

according to those in the media "the management will not be held responsible for any resemblance to the truth in the quest to deliver a good story" or words to that effect

:rofl:

For everyone getting angry with the mum over the dog comment there is nothing worse than not knowing where your lost child is.

We lost our oldest son for over 30 hours in the snow, overnight. The search was called off overnight and you just can't even imagine (unless you have been through it) exactly how horrifying it is to be warm and safe at a camp, while you know your child is out there on his own - not knowing if he is hurt, cold, hungry or worse, dead..

You really don't think of anything other than the child - nothing else matters..

I am ashamed to say I left my youngest at home with friends while we searched for my son and never thought of how he was feeling or my husband - the only thing that mattered was news of the kid.. He ended up in hospital with a broken shoulder, hypothermia, kidney problems because of dehydration and the cold.. I then spent all my time at the hospital until he could come home and my youngest and husband were left to fend for themselves (I was very selfish but that is the way I handled it)...

Apart from losing my husband last year, it was the worst experience of my life..

Please be patient with her, everyone reacts differently..

It is so hard no know the true extent of the background and how individuals cope with terrible circumstances. From reading your post StaffyLuv and being on this discussion board where so many differences get challenged and assumptions jumped to, I am reminded of how vulnerable we all are really...compassion is so appropriate most of the time! Just having a bit of a compassion fest with myself right now actually!!

:eek: Pretty crazy not to have locks on gates if the kid is a known runner...... Jesus, I'd make the place into Fort Knox

That was my first thought. Although I've known special needs kids to escape Fort Knox like security too.

If it's in the media, it must be true!!! :)

LOL.

I strongly suspect it's either a misquoted, or taken out of context and twisted comment made by a distraught, stressed mother.

Hope you are right, Willow.

If you watched the video, it is quite clear what the mother said about the dogs...but in hindsight, she probably wishes she hadn't said it. If it were my kid & he's done it before, I would have a childproof fence & gate, similar to a swimming pool.

:eek: Pretty crazy not to have locks on gates if the kid is a known runner...... Jesus, I'd make the place into Fort Knox

That was my first thought. Although I've known special needs kids to escape Fort Knox like security too.

True. My Mum works with kids with disabilities and she's seen some pretty crazy escapes :eek:

Probably an over emotional, kneejerk reaction to being aked about the dogs when all she could think about was that her child was safe and that her worst nightmare was over. Also likely to be poorly reported. In all likelyhood staying with the dog(s) probably saved the child from great harm. Of course following them out the gate in the first place.....

I didn't read the bit about the pound but this morning on the Today Show while sittng on the ground holding her son she asked the rescuers about the dogs. She was told they were still missing and seemed upset. She also said she closed the gate and went to bath her youngest 2yo and her son came in (I assume an older boy) and didn't close the gate. It sounded like it was a self-locking gate that wasn't pulled shut. Teh rescuers said he was alone and cold when they found him - no mention of the dogs.