Watermark Opinions Please

Kirislin

I never started out with the intention of selling my photos but I've been taking pics for about 4 years now for a whippet racing club to help raise their profile, and it's worked. I must have taken thousands of pics for them and never sold one. I've decided to offer them for sale now if people want them, I'll still display them on the clubs page for free, but now I'm adding a watermark. This is unfamiliar territory for me. I want the photo to be clearly visible, but the watermark to just intrude enough so that if they want a copy of the photo they will buy it. I would like opinions on what I've put on.

8048721223_e8120fbe3c_b.jpg

5F6A2509dppt wm by kirislin, on Flickr

8048666332_b7660bf4d8_b.jpg

5F6A2514dppt wm by kirislin, on Flickr

Edited by Kirislin

It's quite good, if anything I'd make it a little more instrusive and hard to remove, especially over the actual image. Having the majority of the watermark on the background makes it quite easy to remove. Then again, you need to be desperate to remove a watermark and I kind of think if people want to go to that effort, they deserve to use the image :laugh:

Agreed - anyone serious about buying doesn't need to see it with bare minimum watermark, they still know what they are choosing. If watermark is watered down it is too easily obliterated/removed/edited out. You are under no obligation to the general public to display images, they can choose whether to look at a gallery or not, whether your own website or the Club page. The potential customers will definitely look: they are the ones who matter. It is a sales site, not an exhibition or competition. If you were selling a car you wouldn't leave it on the street with the keys in the ignition, you'd lock it and wait for potention buyer to ask about it. Sort of the same, no point dropping temptation in front of people.

Agreed - anyone serious about buying doesn't need to see it with bare minimum watermark, they still know what they are choosing. If watermark is watered down it is too easily obliterated/removed/edited out. You are under no obligation to the general public to display images, they can choose whether to look at a gallery or not, whether your own website or the Club page. The potential customers will definitely look: they are the ones who matter. It is a sales site, not an exhibition or competition. If you were selling a car you wouldn't leave it on the street with the keys in the ignition, you'd lock it and wait for potention buyer to ask about it. Sort of the same, no point dropping temptation in front of people.

It's not a sales site, this is what I'm struggling with. It's just to display them on the clubs facebook site and still with the main intention of promoting the club. I would imagine the only people interested in buying the photos are the owners of the actual whippets. I haven't created a website and I dont know that I want to. I have created a separate facebook page to display other action shots I've taken and I suppose it might evolve/lead on to creating an actual photography site but I still dont honestly see myself as a photograper. I just feel that I've given away enough photos to private individuals, so now, if they like them so much, they can buy them. Does that make sense? :confused:

I will try a few with a more visible watermark though, thanks for your opinions. :thumbsup:

.... It's not a sales site, this is what I'm struggling with. .... Does that make sense? ..

Yes know what you mean, it's impossible to run with the fox and hunt with the hounds, or be all things to all people. Whichever way you handle it there are teensy problems.

Just put a strong watermark with visible contact detail and see what people say.

Edited by PossumCorner

Plus you can't make out your email address very well, if anything this should be a feature point of the watermark.

Yeah, I know it's not really visible but we're a small friendly club and I figured if they're interested in buying one, they'll ask and I can then take the conversation privately, I haven't put a phone number or address on my separate page Dogs of Phwoar because I dont want it "out there"

.... It's not a sales site, this is what I'm struggling with. .... Does that make sense? ..

Yes know what you mean, it's impossible to run with the fox and hunt with the hounds, or be all things to all people. Whichever way you handle it there are teensy problems.

Just put a strong watermark with visible contact detail and see what people say.

thanks both for your opinions and advice.

here's a couple with more prominent watermarks

8049018944_bcafe9f0f6_b.jpg

5F6A2585dppt wm by kirislin, on Flickr

8049023632_c823f01efd_b.jpg

5F6A2577dppt wm by kirislin, on Flickr

For me they're too distracting like that and the viewer cant really see enough of the photo to know if they'd like to buy it or not. I suppose I can make the water mark brighter but smaller, oh the possibilities are endless! :confused:

I'm not a fan of the dog in the middle of the watermark, but the stronger colour and easier to read details are much better :thumbsup:

You also have to think that sometimes people might share your images, regardless of the watermark, so random strangers might see them and you still want them to be able to track you down.

I don't know, I think it might be too busy? Personal preference, that's all. Mine is just my web address, but for client galleries, I make it bigger and whack it right through their faces. I've had images stolen from galleries before (screen shots taken, because I have disabled right clicking) - thus losing income.

I don't know, I think it might be too busy? Personal preference, that's all. Mine is just my web address, but for client galleries, I make it bigger and whack it right through their faces. I've had images stolen from galleries before (screen shots taken, because I have disabled right clicking) - thus losing income.

In a way, I want it busy, I want it to intrude, enough to make it not worth their while stealing it, but not enough to stop them actually being able to see the photo :laugh: I want everything.

I've wondered about the ones I've seen here of yours, wouldn't that be too easy to remove? And I dont understand what you mean about images stolen from galleries because you've disable right clicking.

I've heard of clients printing watermarked images and framing them :laugh: If they want it, they won't care. As far as I know, I've never had anyone remove a watermark. I tend to put them across faces, so it would be quite difficult and generally, Joe Bloggs won't go to that trouble. For my personal work, I don't care as much.

I just think it detracts from how lovely the image is, that's all :)

Ok, so I go out, shoot my clients in a session and upload their lovely images into a private gallery on my website. They look through the gallery, pick the ones they want to purchase and let me know. Right? Well, in the past I have had someone take a screen shot of the watermarked images in the gallery and keep them. That's it. No order or income for me.

My point is, if people want them, they will grab them - watermark or not. It's a deterrent.

Edited by huga

I've heard of clients printing watermarked images and framing them :laugh: If they want it, they won't care. As far as I know, I've never had anyone remove a watermark. I tend to put them across faces, so it would be quite difficult and generally, Joe Bloggs won't go to that trouble. For my personal work, I don't care as much.

I just think it detracts from how lovely the image is, that's all :)

Ok, so I go out, shoot my clients in a session and upload their lovely images into a private gallery on my website. They look through the gallery, pick the ones they want to purchase and let me know. Right? Well, in the past I have had someone take a screen shot of the watermarked images in the gallery and keep them. That's it. No order or income for me.

My point is, if people want them, they will grab them - watermark or not. It's a deterrent.

Yep, if people are desperate they will do it, so the uglier the watermark the better!

Firstly I think the Watermark is totally clever and I love it, especially with the dog in the middle. Prominent or not I think it would be reasonably hard to remove, then again I'm no wiz with photoshop so what would I know! I like the lighter one better. I am not a fan of looking at any photo with watermark splathered across them but it is becoming a necessity now.

As you know I am in the same boat and also just amped up my watermark to a straight line but right across the lower part of the image but still reasonably see through with a shadow. only just a week ago someone took images I had taken of thier dogs and used them on thier page, I don't even know how they did it.

Id like to know about the right clicking thing too Huga? Is that so people cant copy and paste your picture from Facebook?

I read this on facebook the other day.

Facebook is now a publicly traded entity. Unless you state otherwise, anyone can infringe on your right to privacy once you post to this site. It is recommended that you and other members post a similar notice as this, or you may copy and paste this version. If you do not post such a statement once, then you are indirectly allowing public use of items such as your photos and the information contained in your status updates.

Warning -any person and/or institution and/or Agent and/or Agency of any governmental structure including but not limited to the United States Federal Government/ or Australian Government also using or monitoring/using this website or any of its associated or non associated websites, you do NOT have my permission to utilize any of my profile information nor any of the content contained herein including, but not limited to

...my photos, and/or ... the comments made about my photos or any other "picture" art posted on my profile. You are hereby notified that you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing, disseminating, or taking any other action against me with regard to this profile and the contents herein. The foregoing prohibitions also apply to your employee, agent, student or any personnel under your direction or control the contents of this profile are private and legally privileged and confidential information, and the violation of my personal privacy is punishable by law. UCC 1-103 1-308 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED