Would You Get A Crate / Dog House?

Poison

Hi everyone,

I just wanted your opinion if you would get a crate / dog house in our situation.

I live in an apartment and Shengo - a chow chow - has his own room in our wintergarden which is quite large and next to our bedroom.

At night when we go to sleep he will go in his room, however during the day will occassionally sleep under our dining table or try and fit under the coffee table.

I wonder if the wintergarden is too large a space and if a crate or dog house would be more ideal?

What are your thoughts?

Thanks

P

Sounds like he might enjoy the private space but he may also continue to like sleeping under the table. I think crate training is handy to have in any situation though. When I first started using crates, I was skeptical, but they are so useful. If your dog just needs some quiet time or you need to put them away, for transport purposes and for medical reasons - if there is ever a medical situation and he needs to be rested, it is so useful to already have them crate trained.

If you had a crate/kennel in the wintergarden at least he would have a secure sleeping place within his room. Sounds like he might like that :)

My dogs are all crate trained but the doors of the crates are never closed so they can go in whenever they wish. Crate training makes it easy if the dog needs to stay at the vet or is in need of rehab after surgery or illness.

I don't see any good reason for shutting a well behaved dog in a crate. Buy a crate and leave the door open since he sounds like a well behaved dog that doesn't need to be shut in a crate.

I crate trained my pups by feeding all their meals in their crates, with the door open. Now they run to their crates and wait patiently when they see me preparing their meals.