Hypothetical

cassie

Hi guys, just want to ask something I've been thinking about.

I have two Bernese, they are inside dogs and shed heavily. Next dog will be a Saint. I'm not pregnant or anything but we will probably start trying for kids in a few years time. What would you do if you had a baby that was allergic to dogs? Be it the hair or the dander or whatever? I don't know too much about it as no one close to me has the issue.

I could never imagine giving up my dogs, and would hate to banish them to the outdoors for the rest of their lives. Plus I imagine my kids growing up with dogs as part of the family. Has anyone been in this position before?

Since both OH and I are fine and have no allergies to them, does that mean our children also wouldn't? Or doesn't it work that way?

Not wanting to offend anyone with this statement, but I have no interest in owning any of the non shedding breeds. Plus even if I did it wouldn't solve the problem of my current dogs.

Interested to hear of anyone's thoughts or experiences! Thanks :)

A lot of allergies are genetic, but just because you and your OH don't have allergies doesn't mean there aren't some genes lurking further back - so really your child could still have allergies.

Personally, I work on a first in first served theory. Dogs were there first, so they get to stay. Out with the kid!

I don't know much about where allergies come from, but if it's any help, I'm allergic to dogs (it was MUCH worse when I was a child, I was hospitalised numerous times a year for many years with asthma) and neither of my parents have any kind of allergies or asthma. Nobody on my mother's side does either, and the family I do know from my father's side don't either.

So unfortunately, the fact that neither you nor your husband have any allergies doesn't guarantee that any of your children won't :(

As to what you would do if that situation arose - you can only speculate. I don't think you yourself could even know, it's one of those things that you can talk about and think through til the cows come home, but until you actually go through it.. you just can't say.

I do joke about re-homing the kid, but you do seriously have to think about what you would do if you had a kid that was allergic to your dogs. If you aren't willing to get rid of your dogs in that situation, why would you even bother think about having kids, becuse allergies are a real possibility with kids.

I do joke about re-homing the kid, but you do seriously have to think about what you would do if you had a kid that was allergic to your dogs. If you aren't willing to get rid of your dogs in that situation, why would you even bother think about having kids, becuse allergies are a real possibility with kids.

That crossed my mind too embarrass.gif

Something I've pondered though, are dog allergies different to say, bee sting allergies in that there aren't the injections that you can get to help you become less allergic?

Studies have shown that children who grow up with dogs inside the home have a lower incidence of allergies so that is good.

I would if it were an issue for the child make the child's room dog free and be sure to groom and clean house regularly so common areas were less of an issue. I would only consider other options if it were really severe and proven it was the dogs causing it.

I am an allergy and asthma sufferer, and do react a little to what can be on the dogs coats but I am so glad I grew up with dogs and have them now.

We have family that visit that are allergic to cats so we have an 'animal free' guest room to make sure they have a safe haven and can sleep well.

Edited by espinay2

That crossed my mind too embarrass.gif

Something I've pondered though, are dog allergies different to say, bee sting allergies in that there aren't the injections that you can get to help you become less allergic?

You can, but they're not always effective. I had them for years, but they didn't make a discernable difference.

From my own experience, allergies don't necessarily always show up in childhood.

I was fine with animals until I got to about 18 and then.. allergies. It's not so much the hair that causes the issues (I have a smooth-coated, short-haired breed that drops very little hair) but the saliva.

Any licking tends to leave itchy rashes and if I pat them and then touch my eyes.. the most horribly itchy, red eyes. I'd guess that allergies would be easy enough to manage if hygiene was kept up and the children kept away from direct contact with the animals.

i have 4 cats, one dog and am 19 weeks pregnant

i have thought about this a lot and honestly dont know what i would do.

I guess it would depend how bad it was, if it was the cats i may be lucky to rehome them with my parents, if it was kaos then i guess it would be a dog free area of the house, she could come in once baby was asleep... i dont know.

The though of rehoming them makes me sick, but baby comes first. Fingers crossed it is no issue for us

This is the one thing about having children that scares me to death. I have two non-shedding dogs that live predominantly inside. Actually the only time they are outside is to go to the toilet or if I'm out there. I don't believe they would cope out there all the time.

One of the dogs I could rehome with my parents (but they travel alot so not sure how that would work). I know he would be more than happy to live there. But the other is not rehomable at all so I have no idea what I would do.

I just pray that its not something that I will have to deal with. My niece is allergic to dogs and most other animals really and she isn't allergic to my dogs so fingers crossed being no shedding they would be ok.

I think this is one of those things where you just don't stress about it until it happens (if it happens) cross that bridge when you come to it.

I also think you're asking on the wrong forum for unbiased suggestions :p lol

i have 4 cats, one dog and am 19 weeks pregnant

i have thought about this a lot and honestly dont know what i would do.

I guess it would depend how bad it was, if it was the cats i may be lucky to rehome them with my parents, if it was kaos then i guess it would be a dog free area of the house, she could come in once baby was asleep... i dont know.

The though of rehoming them makes me sick, but baby comes first. Fingers crossed it is no issue for us

I'm with you Teebs. I have no plans to have children but if I did they would come first. That is part-and-parcel of being a parent and is one of the many reasons why I won't have kids. Of course it would break my heart but I'd make sure my dogs go to great homes.

I watched a doco on kids with asthma in the UK. There was a child that couldn't even walk up the stairs without a puffer. Their heart would have been under great strain and their lifespan shortened because of this (there are long term health implications from the inflammation that you suffer from allergies). This child was hospitalised multiple times even though they were on lots of medications.

The family had a cat and part of the experiment was to be cat free for 1 month. The change in the child was enormous - no more asthma attacks or medicine, started playing sport etc. When the month was up the mum said she wouldn't rehome the cat and her child would just have to live with it. I can't fathom someone sentencing their child to a shortened life-span because they can't make tough decisions.

Part of the reason why I bought from carefully selected registered breeders {well, except for the one who was a private rehoming}

One of my questions centered around the fact that my husband and I want kids. If the kids were dangerously allergic, would they take back the animal, if we paid a fee for their trouble? They both said yes, without a doubt, of course they would, as long as I promise not to rehome privately or send them to a shelter.

I keep in regular daily contact {friends on Facebook} with the breeder of my cat and my dog so they know what's going on in our family life.

Twice a year the animals go for visits to their old homes and everyone enjoys it. My cat's breeder cries every time she gives her a cuddle, and assures me there's always a forever home with her if we need it.

If I didn't have this security of the future, I don't know what I'd do. I'd probably end up spending a lot of money on large, amazing dog and cat runs to give them the best of life outside the home, and try and spend as much time with them as possible.

If it was that bad, I might also consider private rehoming, but I'd be extremely picky about where they went, and insist on email updates every year.

I had one child, 4 cats & a dog for the 1st 7 years. No problems. I had them on the bed, everywhere & all was well. Fast forward.

Child number 2 was allergic to the world. Very severely. We lived an abnormal totally allergy free life for 5 years after the solution was discovered at age 17 months old. So many hospital admissions & near death panics, The animals were all re homed with much love & heartbreak. We had some animals under very careful conditions after the age of about 8, starting with a pet duck outside.

As adults now My 1st child who had no allergies developed severe cats & dog allergy in his mid 30's

2nd child has no tolerance at all & has to take 2 phenergan in advance to visit an outdoor zoo.

3rd child has slight cat allergy, slight tolerance but some asthma & sore eyes. She has a cat but he affects her. 13 years old, not sure she would replace when he is gone.

4th child has moderate cat allergy, no dog allergy.

I breed/show cats now they are adults & gone(long wait)& developed a moderate allergy 4 years ago. Tested last year & it has gone to low allergy now I have changed things at home.

We have all had several allergy tests lifelong, been part of research at some stage & have other allergies too. No easy answer. Mine were re homed as it was life or death. The child comes first. If they made them ill & I was sure it was the animals & it couldn't be controlled I would not let my child suffer. It can be dangerous for some.

I grew up with cats & dogs all over, no problem, neither did their father have any problem either. Complete mystery. I think we have polluted the planet & wrecked the next generations immune systems. See what happens at the time. You can't always predict with accuracy. I didn't expect it all. Big shock.

Our daughter is allergic to cats. In the beginning we kept her and our cat apart as our cat wasn't good with babies. Once our daughter was old enough (toddler) we reintroduced them and she started sneezing like mad immediately. We have a large cat run but in the end based on what we had experienced we decided to rehome the cat, despite it being a heartbreaking decision. She could have lived out her days in the run, but she was only 5, and that wasnt fair. She has a wonderful home now and we know we made the right decision.

It's not a decision that is just about the child, though our daughter comes first by a mile, but about the pets too. It wasn't fair for our cat to be in her run 24/7. She was unhappy. We have a small place and we can't have specific 'pet' areas, though even if we did it wouldn't change our decision. As owners, we had to make sure our cat had the best quality of life we could give her, and that meant letting our hearts get broken so she could live out her days as a total part of a loving family.

Thankfully, our daughter is fine with the dogs. But then, the way our guys shed we fully expected her to be born covered in dog hair....

I really think you could drive yourself mad with hypotheticals. I'm a kinda "cross that bridge when I come to it person". Why worry about something that may never happen?

That said, I don't have children and never will (never wanted them), but if I did, as much as I love and adore my dogs (my "substitute" children), I would have to put the child first, it's only right. I guess my solution would be to try and divide off the house so the dogs had a part and the child had a part and never the twain to meet.