Brown / Tan Doberman Male Dog

Shodow Doberman

Hello All,

I have a brown / tan pure bred Doberman male puppy (11 months old). He is very friendly and social with people and other dogs. He is registered in NSW registry. He is not de-sexed yet though. I am confused whether I need to breed him at least once and then desex him. I don't want to stop him passing on his genes. I love him very much. He is a part of my family.

I understand the health risks if I don't de-sex him (about him getting cancer). I also understand the impact of backyard breeders on animals.

I need expert advice from breeders on options, what do I need to do?

Thanks and regards,

Paz

post-46423-0-62199700-1348373499_thumb.jpg

You've spoken with the registered breeder you originally acquired your dog from? What expert advice did you get there?

'Passing on genes' seems to be your sole reason for not getting him desexed. His registered breeder would have dogs from the same genetic pool as your boy... and which he/she is breeding from ... so those genes which produced him are being passed on.

Edited by mita

Hi....

has your pup been shown?

have his parents , and he, have had testing for the relevant genetic problems ?

Is his parentage being shown, or have they been used as working dogs or anything?

What agreement did you sign with the breeder?

What proof will you have if you advertise your boy as stud?

Why should a breeder use your untried dog?

What is just SO outstanding about him in the general world of dogs that he should father puppies? (owner's opinions are biased, like parents :p )

If you love him and care for him- that is all HE will worry about :D

he will not care in the least if his genes go no further, trust me !!!!

leaving him this long before castrating him is great - it means his hormones have helped grow him nice strong bones and a sturdy body :)

Don't let your human emotions confuse you ... you obviously love your pup -

I suggest you end the confusion - have him castrated, keep up with his education , and get ready for years of enjoying each others' company :)

Why is his genes so special is the first question you need to ask yourself??

Do you plan to hip/elbow score & test for all the other issues ??

Not every dog is worthy of passing there genes on & your dog would have to tick all the boxes & testing for any decent breeder to wish to consider him.

Your dog doesn't need a mating either .

Your first port of call should be your breeder,they now there lines & also now what makes a Dobe worthy of being used at Stud over others(providing the breeder is an ethical one themselves) .

Was the dog sold on main papers & in your name?

Was the dog sold on a non breeding agreement ??

There is so many more things i could add

Contact the breeder of your boy and discuss it with them. I notice he still has dewclaws so wouldn't think that he is from a show dog breeder as the dewclaws definately would have been removed.

He looks like a lovely boy but he won't miss what he doesn't have (ie sex :)) and he doesn't need to have a mating before he is castrated.

Personally, I prefer that our puppy people don't desex their boys until at least 18 months as it is far better for the boys growth and structure longterm but ofcourse this doesn't suit some people.

But to avoid prostate cancer or issues about 7 years old is the average age for most males to be desexed as a preventative measure - our boys are done between 7 & 8 years of age (though I have heard of some having issues at 4 years of age with prostrate).

Some boys are happier once desexed - some it makes no difference to. It is a choice only you can make, your dog won't care as long as you love him and care for him.

Gorgeous Dobe!

What does his breeder think about breeding him?

He is still young, perhaps you could start showing him or trialling him in some other disciplines eg obedience, agility, schutzhund etc and if he is successful there then perhaps you will have some interest in him as a stud dog.

You can get hormone injections that will stop them from being able to impregnate a bitch, so perhaps you could use this whilst you're undecided.

Contact the breeder of your boy and discuss it with them. I notice he still has dewclaws so wouldn't think that he is from a show dog breeder as the dewclaws definately would have been removed.

My pup came from a show breeder and still has her dewclaws (but she isn't mains registered).

My pup came from a show breeder and still has her dewclaws (but she isn't mains registered).

some breeds have their's left on.

Hello All,

I have a brown / tan pure bred Doberman male puppy (11 months old). He is very friendly and social with people and other dogs. He is registered in NSW registry. He is not de-sexed yet though. I am confused whether I need to breed him at least once and then desex him. I don't want to stop him passing on his genes. I love him very much. He is a part of my family.

I understand the health risks if I don't de-sex him (about him getting cancer). I also understand the impact of backyard breeders on animals.

Thanks and regards,

Paz

You said he's registered, but is he actually mains registered?

Hello All,

Thanks and regards,

Paz

You said he's registered, but is he actually mains registered?

I don't think so :(

I don't know his lineage as well.

I dint buy him from a breeder. Bought him from a lady who sold in gumtree.

I don't know his lineage as well.<br style="color: rgb(34, 34, 34); font-family: verdana, tahoma, arial, sans-serif; line-height: 17.600000381469727px; background-color: rgb(238, 242, 247); "><br style="color: rgb(34, 34, 34); font-family: verdana, tahoma, arial, sans-serif; line-height: 17.600000381469727px; background-color: rgb(238, 242, 247); ">I dint buy him from a breeder. Bought him from a lady who sold in gumtree.

Ahhh..

you have answered your own query - ..and as you are aware of BYB's - now is a good time to step away from any more associating with them

I'm sure you will be responsible and do the best for your gorgeous boy ..ie: desex and enjoy without extra hassle :D :D .

I don't know his lineage as well.<br style="color: rgb(34, 34, 34); font-family: verdana, tahoma, arial, sans-serif; line-height: 17.600000381469727px; background-color: rgb(238, 242, 247); "><br style="color: rgb(34, 34, 34); font-family: verdana, tahoma, arial, sans-serif; line-height: 17.600000381469727px; background-color: rgb(238, 242, 247); ">I dint buy him from a breeder. Bought him from a lady who sold in gumtree.

Ahhh..

you have answered your own query - ..and as you are aware of BYB's - now is a good time to step away from any more associating with them

I'm sure you will be responsible and do the best for your gorgeous boy ..ie: desex and enjoy without extra hassle :D :D .

Yes, I couldn't have said it better. Desex him and just enjoy him for the beautiful boy he is :)

some breeds have their's left on.

Dobes don't

Ahhh..

Yes, I couldn't have said it better. Desex him and just enjoy him for the beautiful boy he is :)

Yes agreed, love him, spoil him and as you know you won't get a more loyal dog.

Please do not breed from him, you have no idea what is behind him or the potential for any genetic issues.

From someone who lost their Dobe early from Dilated cardiomyopathy, don't breed him. He may pass it on then people like me get their hearts broken.

He is a lovely boy, love him for who he is.

no main register papers means you can only ever backyard breed with him. Desex or not to desex is your choice, I would leave him until at least 18 months of age, but breeding I wouldn't because you cannot put him to registered health tested bitches.

Your boy is an absolute stunner though, you are very lucky! Gorgeous!