Dog Safe Air Fresheners

Guest donatella

Guest donatella

Are there any safe air fresheners I can either plug in 24/7 or leave to pump every 30 mins in the corner that are 100% safe for dogs?

I just worry cause I have inside ones and I don't want to poison them with smell over kill.

Do you really need it 24 hours? :confused:

I prefer to open windows whenever possible, buy fragrant flowers & use smelly candles (I have a particular addiction to these!).

Along with regular bathing (humans AND animals :laugh: ) and washing of bedding & floors, we don't have a smell issue with our 26kg shedding machine.

Much better for all concerned than those chemical spray things.

Guest donatella

No probably not actually I'm just more concerned now that I have 2 and I live with someone else so I'm extra vigilant and paranoid about making sure the place isn't over run by dog (even though there is less then 5kg combined weight :laugh:).

I have been mopping 3 times a week (which is more then my flatmate who has never mopped in our 9 months here ever) but I just want to make sure the house is always schmick! Was going to put something in the lounge room where the dogs don't get to but the smell would waft to the areas they're allowed.

I have some of those "stick" things. They look like a bamboo skewer & they bunch together in a special bottle of room freshner & gradually soak up the stuff & release it into the air. You can put them out of reach on top of a cupboard etc. I got mine from the Kitchen Shop, but they sell them at markets & I have seen them in the supermarket (tho. they may not be very natural).

Guest donatella

Oh yeah, i've seen them Sheena, they sell them everywhere here, I really like them. If they're safe i'll definitely get some of them. I just worry about over bearing smells in the house when i'm not home I'll just have to be sure to leave more windows open.

I wouldn't use that anywhere near my dogs, or myself. We had a bottle in the office and had to remove it as the chemical smell just coming from the sealed bottle was SO strong it gave half the people nearby headaches! It smelled like a combo of nail polish remover and insect repellent :eek:

Oh yeah, i've seen them Sheena, they sell them everywhere here, I really like them. If they're safe i'll definitely get some of them. I just worry about over bearing smells in the house when i'm not home I'll just have to be sure to leave more windows open.

They can be a bit over powering. What I do, is just soak 3 or 4 sticks & then put these into a dry jar/vase somewhere safe where they can release their smell & I put the lid back on the actual bottle of freshner. Then you can do several rooms with just the one bottle & one lot of sticks.

I wouldn't use that anywhere near my dogs, or myself. We had a bottle in the office and had to remove it as the chemical smell just coming from the sealed bottle was SO strong it gave half the people nearby headaches! It smelled like a combo of nail polish remover and insect repellent :eek:

Fair enough - never had a problem with the spray here, though I guess different people might be more sensitive.

I know someone who's house burnt down due to one of the plug in air fresheners. Luckily she wasn't hame and the dogs were not in the house at the time but she lost everything. The firfighters told her that it was a common cause of house fires so I wouldn't use them if you paid me.

I think the stick are fantastic!! The sticks and just in an oil - so safe. Also they are not too over bearing, you just flip the sticks every week. You need to buy the good ones that are $25-30. I usually buy mine from Myer. They last ages - not sure exactly how long but it is at least 6 months.

I agree with DeeLee.

Reed diffusers (sticks) are good if they are in a natural essential oil. But if they are in an artificial fragrant oil, they can smell a bit chemical, and that to me is worse than dog smell.

I dislike the air-freshers that spray automatically, and the sound of them can be disturbing to dogs. When I visit a house that has one, I think it always leaves my clothes smelling a bit like toilet-cleaner.

This thread reminded me to go dip my sticks. They are lovely & fresh but a little too pongy for my liking at the moment, so I will seperate them & put them into different rooms (the lid is back on the oil). Funny thing I noticed, Bindi was only in the room for a few minutes when she started to reverse sneeze. I put her outside to go & look for grass, but she never actually chucked. Maybe the smell was too strong for her. She is now in a room without them & she has settled down. Might bring her back in later & see if they have the same effect on her, then I will know if it's them :(