Rspca Canberra

They've always had a six week waiting list for surrenders at RSPCA ACT and discourage people from surrendering animals to them directly..

A friend who wanted to surrender previously was told to take the dog to pound.. Said they could not guarantee that there would be a place for her dog.. was a large breed... She eventually rehomed privately.

I think it depends on circumstance too.. Maybe they thought the Koolie was a working dog that they couldnt rehome..

Have never had much to do with them but yes their prices are huge..

I don't think that they take any dogs in for rehoming unless they are on their waiting list. Lots of dogs needing homes by the sounds, so maybe the 6 weeks has ballooned out considerably.

Only other "quick option" is the pound unless people want to rehouse themselves.

R

I don't think that they take any dogs in for rehoming unless they are on their waiting list. Lots of dogs needing homes by the sounds, so maybe the 6 weeks has ballooned out considerably.

Only other "quick option" is the pound unless people want to rehouse themselves.

R

The RSPCA's waiting list is much longer than 6 weeks, try 6 months, a lot of people who ring me have been told there is a 6 month wait for surrendering a dog.

Maree

CPR

This was not the person's own dog - it was a neighbour's dog they had saved from being shot. They already have a Koolie in the RSPCA they don't want to hand over to us so I don't think they refuse to take working breeds. I think we have a couple of people interested in taking him anyway so I don't think we will have him for long.

Hi everyone. Michael Linke, CEO RSPCA ACT here. I'd like to share some facts about surrenders at RSPCA ACT. All animals, except adult dogs, are accepted immediately into care. With regard to adult dogs we operate a surrender wait list to assist manage the overall volume of dogs entering our shelter and to maintain our commitment to allowing dogs to stay with us for as long as it takes to rehome them. In addition to surrenders we also take in strays at all times and work with our local dog pound moving stray dogs between facilities to give them the best chance of being reunited with their owner, being adopted or going to one of the rescue groups here in Canberra.

In the financial year just concluded we received 1735 dogs. 282 surrendered, 1316 stray, 52 emergency long term boarding (owners suffering form mental health etc), 46 from NSW Council pounds brought to us and taken off death row in those pounds, 25 puppies were born here, the remaining 14, were seized by our inspectors and form part of ongoing legal proceedings (most will be in care for 12 to 18 months).

We have 40 day to day kennels for dogs, 4 whelping kennels for bitches and litters, six quarantine kennels and four emergency kennels.

Of the 1706 leaving our care, 117 were put to sleep, 244 dogs were transferred to the local dog pound (25 stray dogs were transferred in form the local pound), 910 strays were reunited with owners, 58 emergency boarding dogs were returned to owners, 12 were stolen, 7 died from injuries sustained prior to arriving at RSPCA, 358 were adopted.

Our average length of time in the sheltering environment for dogs is 30 days. Of adoptable dogs the average length of stay is 20 days. We have found that price isn't a barrier or a reason dogs stay with us for long periods. We recently homed a little of standard poodles for $950 each. It took about seven days for all of them to be adopted. The dogs that stay with us for a long period of time are unattractive and reactive dogs that present poorly in our environment. Hamish is one example, check him out on our website. In these cases we offer a range of value adds to potential adopters. I think in Hamish's case we are offering to build a dog enclosure to the value of $1,500. So I think the comments about costs effecting adoptions is not valid.

With regard to pricing we have recently introduced a variable price model for all of our adoptions. This model allows us to charge higher prices for dogs and cats that can attract a higher price and discount other animals that generate less interest. The philosophy behind this is that it allows us to undertake more welfare work and spend more time on less desirable animals as more desirable animals are generating more income. This model is used in some USA shelters to great effect and success, and our use has also proven successful.

Similar to the wait list and working with people to find other options, these strategies are designed to help keep animals alive and place them into suitable homes. If we return to the outdated model of accepting all animals and not engaging with owners, rescue groups etc, what would happen to the over flow and excess volume of dogs?

I hope this explanation answers some of the questions above, feel free to email me or RSPCA whenever you have a question about how we do things.

Thanks

Michael

Thank you Micheal...

Is always best to get it 'straight from the horses mouth'...

Only one question though.. Is there a long waiting list for surrenders & if a person presents to surrender a dog are they given contacts within rescue groups as options as well as the pound??

Thanks..

Thank you Micheal...

Only one question though.. Is there a long waiting list for surrenders & if a person presents to surrender a dog are they given contacts within rescue groups as options as well as the pound??

Thanks..

Garnali...the wait list hovers between four and six weeks and often is based on a case by case basis and need and urgency. yes, we recommend a range of alternate options that includes the pound, rescue groups, private advertising, social media etc.

Thank you Micheal...

Thanks..

Garnali...the wait list hovers between four and six weeks and often is based on a case by case basis and need and urgency. yes, we recommend a range of alternate options that includes the pound, rescue groups, private advertising, social media etc.

Ok it looks like people are telling me porkies as I mentioned in my previous post I have been told 6 months by all who contact me, now I have it from the horses' mouth I am more informed.

Maree

CPR

With regard to pricing we have recently introduced a variable price model for all of our adoptions. This model allows us to charge higher prices for dogs and cats that can attract a higher price and discount other animals that generate less interest. The philosophy behind this is that it allows us to undertake more welfare work and spend more time on less desirable animals as more desirable animals are generating more income. This model is used in some USA shelters to great effect and success, and our use has also proven successful.

Thanks

Michael

Thanks, Michael. It's always good to get information from the source... rather than chinese whispers. This pricing system is similar to that used by major well-respected organizations up here, too. I agree with it.

In relation to my (small) breed of interest, I'm grateful to RSPCA ACT for how they've helped some known purebreds of this type...whose owner met sad circumstances. It was a fair thing to put a higher price on such dogs...who are then subsidizing their doggie mates who are seen as less desirable, or those who need considerable veterinary treatment.

As i've said before...for small dogs, I often point people, in your region, to both RSPCA ACT and Canberra Pooch Rescue, as quality sources.

Edited by mita

Thanks Michael for setting the record straight for us..

In regards to pricing, I don't think it is over the top but unfortunately there are a lot of the general public that disagree..

I would like a dollar for the each person that has commented on rescue organizations wanting $300+ for mutts..

People just don't see that it costs money for everything, rescue, desexing, vaccination, microchipping and that doesn't include food and training that some dogs may need. Or the higher cost medical cases like those that need surgery or other expensive treatments.

I think they are all worth much more that rescue orgs charge but the general public still see them as strays needing a home, so they should be next to nothing if we want them 'saved'...

The ones that I speak to that complain about the costs, I tell them, what price should you expect to pay for a pet for the next 5 to 15 years?

Thanks for the explanation Michael.

Perhaps you can help with another problem we are having with the RSPCA in South Australia who are steadfastly ignoring a man who has a number of dogs on his property which are neglected, allowed to roam free and interbreed, left to get water from the river which runs through the property and feed themselves by killing wildlife. Koolie Rescue were recently given several of these dogs which someone had rescued. They were in disgusting condition (I can send you photographs), we have had them vet treated, desexed, microchipped, given basic training and are currently rehoming them. Apparently the RSPCA, which is the organisation which has powers to control animal cruelty in South Australia has known about this man for a number of years but takes no action against him to prevent him from keeping his dogs or to force him to look after them properly. If the RSPCA can get him closed down we are prepared to take and look after the dogs. Perhaps I could come and talk to you about him and get some advice.

Thanks for the open and transparent response.

Perry'sMum, the RSPCA in the ACT and SA are totally separate.

I am aware that they are separate State organisations but I would like some help and advice from Michael on how to approach them and who to approach nevertheless.