Sheep- Dog.....

Guest crickets

I see this alot at a girlfriends place, she's a groomer and some of the poor dogs that come in would break your heart. All felted up like that and the owners say they've been grooming but then he got wet, or they left him with friends for a couple of days and he wasn't brushed, all lies. She shears it off as you've done, and underneath it's crawling with fleas. She sees their dew claws and even other toe nails curled round imbedded into their legs, sometimes with the dew claws it's difficult to tell which end to cut! She tells the owners and they go Oh.......I wondered why he was limping. or I wondered why he was licking it all the time. One time she had a woman ring up with an emergency, she needed to get her dog clipped right away because he couldn't poo. His bottom had closed over with matted poo and fur. :mad

After they're all clipped off, flea bathed and dried they cavort around like puppies, it must feel so good to them.

I call the closed over bum a 'poo pack' You can only imagine what delights we have to deal with when we 'open it up'!

The very worst scenario is fly strike..... nuthin' like half way through shearing a dog when you suddenly come across a squirming pile of maggots! :vomit: :vomit:

It's awful to think of so many dogs suffering out there. They would have been bought as cute fluffy puppies but the owners either weren't advised or are just too stupid and uncaring to bother grooming them. I tend to think it's the latter because the same people keep bringing in matted dogs, it's not like they learn and from then on the dogs are well cared for.

It's awful to think of so many dogs suffering out there. They would have been bought as cute fluffy puppies but the owners either weren't advised or are just too stupid and uncaring to bother grooming them. I tend to think it's the latter because the same people keep bringing in matted dogs, it's not like they learn and from then on the dogs are well cared for.

Every now & then we get someone who actually 'get's it' and improves their game dramatically after the first matted shave down incident.

The big grey doodle dog above had funky ears and actually had an haematoma on one ear leather. When I mentioned it to the owner the response was 'another one?'...... to their credit they have seen the vet about his ears & try to keep on top of them but the poor dog has now had 3 haematoma from head shaking. He was an awesomely gorgeous boy, I just wanted to take him home with me :(

:eek: I just can't understand how people can let their dogs get like this and whats been described above, its just heart breaking. I feel so sorry for the poor dogs. Really it doesn't take much to upkeep a coat, even a long one. I have 4 and not a knot to be seen, especially since I have dogs with the worse coats in the world (why cant I find Mr winky eye man?) :laugh: I find them quite easy to maintain and i think if people can't embark on basic hygiene and grooming for their dogs they shouldn't have them!

I recently give my youngest a hair cut and did something I don't usually do and trimmed his face off super short, well I have gotten a lot of negative feed back, and I'm like oh well its only fur it will grow back, I think he looks kind of cute, I would prefer it boofier but just for a change I thought I'd try something different!

file-179.jpg

file_zps628f00be.jpg

file_zps3780664d.jpg

Edited by tlc

I wonder how do you hold your tounge when people bring dogs like these matted and maggeted and you have to deal with them, how do you stop yourself from going all Chuck Norris on them! I just couldn't do it!

As much as i'd like to slam their head on a wall, what I have learnt in 2.5 decades of dog grooming, Is that if you become confrontational and rude towards them, ultimately the dog will be the one to suffer because then they are less inclined to come back sooner or at all to deal with the rude groomer. If you can hold your tongue & even try to be positive about the situation, the dog will be the winner and that's all I care about. The classic conversation when presented with a coat disaster is ..... (owner)-"i'm so ashamed/embarrassed to bring him to you" (my response)- "There would be more shame if you didn't bring him to me"

It's generally accepted that unless it is heinous neglect uncovered there is not much point reporting them to the RSPCA or such, as they have been seen to take steps to rectify the problem by seeking help from a groomer.

The saddest thing for me personally is the abject dental neglect I see day in day out.

Edited by Arcane