Monitor Calibration Tools

CrazyCresties

I know nothing about calibrating monitors, I have a mac and didn't do anything to it. Shouldnt they come set up right out of the box? I am also wondering about what setting to have the camera on and does this make a difference to the computer screen. Should the camera be set to RGB or adobe? Sorry don't mean to hijack but thought it was a related question?

The default settings on the old CRT monitors were very accurate, but the new monitors aren't and need adjusting. All your colour profiles are best in sRGB (I've learned lately) because most print shops use it as do most browsers. AdobeRGB is better but unless you have a pro print place that can use that profile then stick with sRGB. I think that was why I have been having colour issues, I was using adobeRGB.

I use sRGB. I have never calibrated, but iMacs are pretty good right out of the box. I did send some test prints off to my labs, they came back spot on, so I didn't adjust anything. I do have my brightness right down to one bar though.

I use spyder products.

Yes, macs will also benefit from calibration - they aren't magic ;)

Best thing to do is send off a few test prints to your chosen lab and make them tricky prints with lots of dynamic range and lots of black/white tones. If they are spot on, don't mess with things and keep the prints handy for reference. If they are off at all, calibrate.

To some extent you can pop stuff up on the net and ask people what they are seeing - really only works if other monitors are spot on, though!

I have one monitor (Asus) that was great right out of the box and one that has a temperament and needs to be calibrated now and again. I admit to being lazy and just using the Asus for colour work instead of recalibrating the other one, too LOL Works for me.

So I ended up getting the X-Rite i1Display Pro and calibrated my screen last night. It was quick and fairly simple to use and the difference was obvious. The below image was one of the first I did on my new screen and it just didn't look 'right' when viewing elsewhere, now I'm a lot happier with how it looks. My screen was too bright and too 'colourful'. I still need to get some prints done to finish the process :)

Before

7961508890_33f767ffb7.jpg

After

7995722878_6dd46b9229.jpg