Contacting People On Gumtree

sas

There are alot of passionate people out there which is awesome but I just wanted to say that if you are contacting people who list dogs FTGH please think what you're going to say to them before sending off a plea to them.

We assist in alot of private rehomings, we don't feel the need to put a dollar value on the dog as we're confident in our ability to screen potential homes and we use many forms of promotion for the dog.

We list dogs as $0 adoption fees on Pet Rescue too but never ever get any e-mails from people warning us of the potential dangers.

I recieve e-mails everyday warning of potential dangers of listing on classified sites, this is one I recieved today:

BE CAREFUL WHO YOU GIVE YOUR BELOVED PETS TO

There has been a group of .....(call them whatever you want) replying to ads especially dogs for free that are using poor defenceless animals for dog fights and if they don't have what it takes they get muzzled and thrown in as bait in these fighting rings.

There has also been instances where dogs get muzzled and thrown in waters as bait to attract large fish

If you care for animals don't let this happen , get background checks on potential buyers.

THIS IS A HORRIBLE WAY TO DIE AND SUFFER

STOP THIS FROM HAPPENING.........WE NEED TO STAND UP AND BE THE VOICE FOR THESE ANIMALS

The problem is with these types of messages is they come off sounding like you're a crazy........you're warning people that their dog could be used to catch big fish? I mean come on, you're not doing yourself any favours.

Try a factual e-mail, that is polite and educational not scare tactics that people will just hit delete and you would have wasted that opportunity.

Again, I think it's awesome there's such caring people out there, the e-mail just needs a bit of a tweak so you're getting the message out there.

Edited by sas

Don't send emails at all would be my advice unless you are actually going to give the pet a home.

Email senders just come across as crazy dog/cat people. They may also make people take their adverts down, which isn't good as at least the people are trying to find the pet a home.

If someone is doing something against the rules of the site - contact the site.

I had both sides of the fence, while looking for a cat sitter for 2 weeks when going away I got multiple "YOUR CAT WILL BE USED FOR BREEDING, LIVE IN A CAGE AND DIE" emails, which were obnoxious because

a) i wasn't rehoming, and it was clearly, clearly stated there I was just looking for someone who did in-house pet sitting in the area, thinking I'd rather give the money to a local mum or someone who perhaps couldn't have a pet than a a Jim's Petsitting kinda thing, and

b) my two have been desexed since as soon as possible, so they'd have a blast trying to get them to breed...I would wish them every luck!

But also, some things you see are just so stupid. There was one a while ago where the vet bills for a little JRT with broken front legs that had healed funny just got too high, so they listed him as FTGH, and said he will need more expensive work, now surely he would have been better off at a shelter or somewhere rather than lumping that on an individual who may find themselves out of funds in a few weeks too?

Lots of dogs are listed as 'ok with some other dogs' or 'good guard dog' etc, which again, is just asking for disaster if they're not employing full disclosure, so again, maybe it's best to have them temp tested before rehoming?

I know the shelters are in a bad way as is, and can't take more than they have, if not less but sometimes it's surely better for everyone?

Still, I'm occasionally guilty of the odd email, I try not to be too nasty or forthright, just offering some contacts for breed rescue or the discount desexing program before rehoming etc. It's always friendly though!

Guest lavendergirl

This point has already been made in a previous thread. People are entitled to email and offer advice if they want to - it goes without saying that ideally it should be done in a polite manner and be constructive. Some people, for example, are not even aware that rescue groups exist or how to find them on the net.

Realistically though there are always going to be zealots who go overboard - you won't change that. I suggest you just reply directly to those that are offensive and advise them of the inappropriateness of their email.

This point has already been made in a previous thread. People are entitled to email and offer advice if they want to - it goes without saying that ideally it should be done in a polite manner and be constructive. Some people, for example, are not even aware that rescue groups exist or how to find them on the net.

Realistically though there are always going to be zealots who go overboard - you won't change that. I suggest you just reply directly to those that are offensive and advise them of the inappropriateness of their email.

With all due respect, this post is to educate those who may send messages in the future as well as now.

I do reply to the e-mails, thanks for your feedback.