Feeding Some Fluffies On A Budget

persephone

Rice. Cook up brown rice, mix with mince (any human grade on sale would do the trick. Roo mince is actually not very expensive.) and freeze in meatball size serves - or freeze in ice cube trays.

If the mix does not bind, add a beaten egg or two and mix that in to make the mix bind into meatballs.

Guest donatella
if eggs are not a problem then they could have a supper of scrambled eggs for a change, with or without a slice of cheese thrown in!

I'm sure they'd love that, too :)

my small fluffy LOVEEEEEES an egg scrambled with a fork in the mircrowave for 1min. ka ching, yum, scrambled egg in under 2 mins!

If they do well on Supercoat and the odd egg, I don't think the soup mix will add anything nutritional to the diet.

The odd packet of marked down chicken bits, no name tuna in oil, or chicken pet mince or decent table scraps would add variety but the diet sounds OK as it is.

I agree here (though I might go for the no name sardines, mackeral or salmon instead of tuna - also look at the no-name brand cat food sardines. They are generally just sardines so an ultra cheap way to add fish).

Thanks ... but she likes giving them a bedtime snack :) ..maybe just a small ball of mince , then?

How about making some dog biscuits? Really easy and cheap to make. A bit of plain flour, some porridge oats, chicken or beef powdered stock, garlic and veggie oil (and a little extra water if needed).

Make into a dough, roll into a log and cut into slices. Bake in an oven until cooked and as crispy as you want them (slow oven is best).

You can add other flavours depending on price and availability - only limited by your imagination.

Edited by espinay2

How about making some dog biscuits? Really easy and cheap to make. A bit of plain flour, some porridge oats, chicken or beef powdered stock, garlic and veggie oil (and a little extra water if needed).

Make into a dough, roll into a log and cut into slices. Bake in an oven until cooked and as crispy as you want them (slow oven is best).

You can add other flavours depending on price and availability - only limited by your imagination.

She bakes heaps - this might be a plan . :o after me saying to give the doggies more meat and less cereal :p

• <br class="Apple-interchange-newline">

She bakes heaps - this might be a plan . :o after me saying to give the doggies more meat and less cereal :p

:laugh: I see the dilemma. I wouldn't go adding rice etc to the main diet, particularly if she continues to feed the Advance rather adding as 'extras' things like the chicken, eggs, fish etc and even some yoghurt (cheap to make yourself) if she can afford it, plus any healthy leftovers from her own meals if there are any. But a bikkie as a cheap 'treat' she can make would IMO be fine if fed in moderation (and the dogs dont have any allergy issues with the grains in questions).

Now just to confuse things, here is my 'basic budget plan' for when the budget is stressed. It does rely on having access to good sources and storage though:

Things to buy:

Basics:

Chicken frames (I buy a 10kg box for $10) - or alternately chicken pet mince (between $1 and $1.50 a kg on average)

'Pet mince' - From your local butcher - my local butcher makes one that includes various offcuts plus things like heart, tounge and liver. Average seems to be around $3.00 a kilo.

Basic meal (for a larger dog - scale down for smaller) - one chicken frame and 1/2 cup pet mince. You can get away with just feeding this for quite a while. It is a reasonably good diet in an of itself.

Added extras:

Fish oil capsules (around $16 to $20 for a bottle of 400 at a discount chemist). average 2 per day per dog (1 for a small dog)

Alternately (or as well if the budget allows), no name brand fish (sardines, mackeral, salmon etc) once a week.

Eggs: one egg once a week (or two if you have them)

Added added extras:

Yoghurt - a spoon or two a few times a week.

Healthy table scraps

Treats such as the dog bikkie recipe given above.

when I forget to defrost the westies meat, I make what I call 'fishy in a dishy' - a third of a 1 kg bag of frozen black and gold mixed veggies heated through in the microwave for four minutes on high. Then mix the can of mackeral with the oil through the veggies. This makes a main meal for three westies - and costs about $2.00. Hope it helps. :)