Feeding Some Fluffies On A Budget

persephone

A friend has lost their job ..and has several small fluffies at home .

they have had supercoat ad lib ..always have ,and do well on it . They also used to get roo fresh ..chicken necks , eggs ...

eggs are not a problem ..chooks lay well :) There was a suggestion ,as well as some supercoat , to cook that packet 'soup mix'..lentils/barley /peas with veges , garlic & a small amount of roo mince for the bedtime snack.

These dogs are not overweight ... .no allergies or anything that I know of ...

I was not sure about too many lentils, etc ...has anyone ever used this for dogs? They would mostly be getting the dry ...

I thought perhaps large tins of nature's gift given as a 'snack' might be economical, or am I wrong?

+1 on the soup mix (I know how windy it can make humans)

What about Chicken mince, I used to get it freshly minced (Bone and all) for about $1.50 per kg. cook it up and add vegies.

I actually shared a house with a girl many many moons ago who insisted we saved all the Vegetable peelings etc. etc and these were cooked up and fed to her dog.

I would be reluctant to use the dried soup mixes due to the (usual) high sodium content.

this has no salt.

it is dried lentils, dried yellow split peas, barley grains ...... nothing else. Sodium is 4 milligrams/100grams

Edited by persephone

If they do well on Supercoat and the odd egg, I don't think the soup mix will add anything nutritional to the diet.

The odd packet of marked down chicken bits, no name tuna in oil, or chicken pet mince or decent table scraps would add variety but the diet sounds OK as it is.

The odd packet of marked down chicken bits, no name tuna in oil, or chicken pet mince or decent table scraps would add variety but the diet sounds OK as it is.

Thanks ... but she likes giving them a bedtime snack :) ..maybe just a small ball of mince , then?

I used to cook up a large pot of stew for my dogs, they loved it and cheap as chips

butcher pet mince, large packet of frozen vegies, rice or pasta, if i had one a stock cube, bit of garlic and water

no frills sardines are cheap

Wolfbix biscuits shaped like a bone are cheap and a good bedtime snack for them, from memory they were about $7 a bag but many bone shaped biscuits in it

Thanks ... but she likes giving them a bedtime snack :) ..maybe just a small ball of mince , then?

How about a dog biscuit? Aldi sell some good ones.

try steer clear of the supermarket pet mince if you can, it's full of gosh knows what and we've always found it upsets little bellies. erk!

maybe go have a chat to the local butcher, I bet they have some lamb flaps and the like for a dollar or two a kilo!

double dilute it would solve that problem

This is not a packet soup mix with flavour/salt/thickener - it is dried lentils. split peas, and barley in a bag ....... no added anything.

yes I saw that but for others who are reading and might like to add/use pkt soup mix if you dilute it you lessen the salt content. Same as occasionally I use a stock cube in hot water but I add extra water.