Treat Value At Obedience Class

Jozlyn

Hi,

Should I use a higher value treat at obedience class as there are SO many distractions? Or the same value that I use at home where there are next to no distractions (until I start adding them on purpose)?

Thanks,

J.

Edited by Jozlyn

:D Good thinking! Yes - as I tell my puppy class people, puppy class/dog club is the worst place for teaching new behaviours - so many distractions. That said, when the owners work hard enough to keep it entertaining and fun for the pups, it's amazing how much they can learn and focus - but yes, high value, soft treats - small pieces so you can use lots - and not crumbly - don't want food all over the ground) - and remember that class is mostly for teaching the owners how to teach the dogs. You then take that home and practise in very small chunks, in low distraction environments, and then very gradually up the ante. (And to save me posting twice - a :thumbsup: for fuzzy92's post in your thread in the puppy forum. :D )

:D Good thinking! Yes - as I tell my puppy class people, puppy class/dog club is the worst place for teaching new behaviours - so many distractions. That said, when the owners work hard enough to keep it entertaining and fun for the pups, it's amazing how much they can learn and focus - but yes, high value, soft treats - small pieces so you can use lots - and not crumbly - don't want food all over the ground) - and remember that class is mostly for teaching the owners how to teach the dogs. You then take that home and practise in very small chunks, in low distraction environments, and then very gradually up the ante. (And to save me posting twice - a :thumbsup: for fuzzy92's post in your thread in the puppy forum. :D )

:thanks: