Licking, Licking, Licking........

Jozlyn

My 17 week old Kelpie puppy, Abby just licks and licks and licks us. If she can't find bare skin to lick, she'll settle for the clothing we're wearing.

While this is much preferable to her gnawing on us, how do we stop this?

Cheers,

J

don't have her where she can access your skin ?

walk away

maybe start N I L I F link HERE

Make sure she has plenty of different textures/foods/toys to explore with her mouth ..rotate toys , provide her with meat on bone meals ..

basically don't put yourself in a position where she can lick you for long periods of time

don't have her where she can access your skin ?

walk away

maybe start N I L I F link HERE

Make sure she has plenty of different textures/foods/toys to explore with her mouth ..rotate toys , provide her with meat on bone meals ..

basically don't put yourself in a position where she can lick you for long periods of time

Yeah, it's an attention thing, when she wants a cuddle or she's tired. Thanks.

Yep, my poodle x has always been licker, it drives me nuts. He's 3 now and still tries :o I hold him off and don't look at him or acknowledge him until he stops.

When he was a puppy I had the advice to catch his tongue and hold it when he tried to lick, he was too quick and his tongue too small to catch but I did manage it with my bigger dog and you may be able to with your Kelpie pup, just be gentle, the idea isnt to hurt them, just to make them uncomfortable.

I had a rescue kelpie x that did this from the day we got to and still does it (she's with my ex now). We tried so many things to stop it but she never associated us telling her 'no' with licking, we tried heaps of different remedies, we painted our skin with gross tasting stuff, we removed all accessible skin from her (she'd start on clothes then) and did just about everything we could think of but in the end we gave up and just let her lick us (our visitors decreased in number lol). It was like it was subconscious or OCD or something, she just HAD to do it. Not 100% of the time, but a fair amount. Sorry I can't help, just if you can find something to stop it now, better than letting it go until she gets older and it's harder to stop. We got Kenya at 1 year old and it was ingrained by then I guess. Terrible habit!

Our old Chi x (RIP) was a licker.

We couldn't catch her tongue either, she was like a wee snake :laugh:

She did it as a comfort thing, and also chewed on blankets, it got to the point where she would have been licking us for ten mins and we wouldn't even notice as we were so used to it!:laugh:

Oh, my pugs are lickers - the youngest has been known to leave big wet patches on my clothes from licking me without me realising!

The other licks the bathroom floor everytime I'm in there, waiting for me to step out of the shower so she can lick the water off my legs. I prefer it to biting!

Oh, my pugs are lickers - the youngest has been known to leave big wet patches on my clothes from licking me without me realising!

The other licks the bathroom floor everytime I'm in there, waiting for me to step out of the shower so she can lick the water off my legs. I prefer it to biting!

Lili does this :laugh:

We have one who does this too!

What is with the blanket/couch/clothing licking thing? One also loves his feet to the point of staining them with his drool, always has. Does anyone know what the actual deal with this is?

The little wet patches are a friend to nobody!

We have one who does this too!

What is with the blanket/couch/clothing licking thing? One also loves his feet to the point of staining them with his drool, always has. Does anyone know what the actual deal with this is?

The little wet patches are a friend to nobody!

Yep, I'm with you! I feel distracting her with a toy may be seen as a reward thus make the behaviour even worse.

My dog likes to lick. She will try it on with certain friends, and my immediate family.

She did try it with me and somehow I persuaded her not to, so she only licks me when there's food involved (ie treat reward for hand targetting sometimes gets a lick).

I think I made it unrewarding for her somehow. Ie removed whatever it was that she wanted. Or I gave her something else to do, like bliss out with an ear gasm or something.