Rspca Denies Adoption To Non-pr

andrewang

The main issue here is why can't I adopt? Let's do the math here, by allowing me to adopt, I reduce the amount of animal they have to care for and therefore reducing their financial strain.

Because you are, as you've stated, a non permanent resident.

That means at some point, you will have to leave Australia. What happens to the dog then? How can they ensure you will honour your agreement? They can't. The only sure thing from their point of view is that you will be leaving the country, so it's a sensible decision they've made in light of that fact. Personally I agree with the RSPCA's decision on this.

I don't see why you refuse to accept their perspective, it's the most sensible decision in terms of the dog's welfare. What is so hard to understand about the fact they don't want to risk you abandoning the dog when you inevitably go home. What if you are called home to an emergency or family issue? What happens to the dog then? Do you even care enough about what happens to the dog to consider what could go wrong here? You are being incredibly selfish, one track minded and shortsighted.

Reading your posts makes me hope that if the RSPCA doesn't have an official policy regarding not giving dogs to non-permanent residents, they develop one ASAP.

Lots of other good options suggested in the thread, try building a rapport with a rescue organisation, a smaller organisation can assess your individual situation better than a large bureaucratic-laden organisation like the RSPCA can.

Edited by Wobbly

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you even care enough about what happens to the dog to consider what could go wrong here? You are being incredibly selfish, one track minded and shortsighted.

I think this a bit of a harsh statement! The OP stated they intended to take the dogs back home to Singapore with them. Is that so hard to believe?

If you know what you're doing and are organised it is really not that difficult to take a dog overseas from australia (getting them back into australia is a little more difficult). Its moderately expensive but affordable for most people.

I understand why the RSPCA has this policy, unfortunately not all overseas students have the same attitude as the OP, so it makes sense.

They are a large organisation and probably not well enough equipped to deal with more complex cases, so they have "blanket rules" which are in some cases unfair for both potential adopters and dogs, but they are made in the best interest of the majority of dogs.

It does seem a shame a dog is missing out on a potentially good home but it is better than going to an unsuitable home who will dump them in a few years (again not saying the OP would do this).

Edited by aussielover

I am being realistic. In this case that translates to being harsh.

I said something similar to you, when I referred to a sense of entitlement. None of us has entitlement to adopt a pet. Any of us can be turned down by those charged with making a call about adoption. For all sorts of reasons.

There are alternatives in this case, tho'. Both in finding ways to spend time with dogs while in Australia... and in later adopting a dog needing a home in the country where the OP has permanent residency. There's even ways to save lives of dogs in that country before return.

Having said that, I can emphasize with falling for a dog in another country where I'm not a permanent resident with associated citizenship. But what happens next is the tricky bit... which may need a dose of reality. And I understand Australian dog shelters & rescues acting on actual evidence that it's too high risk to adopt dogs to people who don't have citizenship.

Edited by mita

I thought you were looking for an English Cocker Spaniel to take back to Singapore with you?

I'm surprised you remembered!

I'm still waiting for my ECS.

Already on the waiting list of one of the most respected ECS breeder in VIC.

My pup should arrive Feb-March 2013.

My gf and I were bored and decided to visit the RSPCA and take a look.

That little fellow some how connected with us.

My pup should arrive Feb-March 2013.

There are a lot of uncertainties here.

Not the least being that the breeder may not have the dog you are waiting for, afterall.

As regards the impulse adoption of an animal because you were bored, I find that very disturbing.

As to how many checks and balances the RSPCA can put into their adoption procedures, I think more education and less regulation might be the way to go.

Certainly, I would not like to be stymied while seeking to procure a dog.

Good luck anyway

I'm surprised you remembered! I'm still waiting for my ECS. Already on the waiting list of one of the most respected ECS breeder in VIC. My pup should arrive Feb-March 2013.

Why is the Cocker Spaniel breeder the "most respected in VIC"? Do they know you are planning to take the pup OS? That's a long time to wait as there are curently 18 litters available on DOL puppy page.

Some people did not read my previous posts and said I am "being incredibly selfish, one track minded and shortsighted".

Let me repeat. I INTEND TO BRING THEM HOME WITH ME!!

Even before I thought of getting a dog here, I asked around in the forum for the price of bringing a dog back home and I got quotes from a couple of different pet transport companies. So before accusing me of "being incredibly selfish, one track minded and shortsighted", know me better first.

Couple of reasons why I wanna get a dog here are as follow:

I love dogs and life without a dog now is just different.

Australia produces good quality dogs. Singapore doesn't have good breeders. I'm a sucker for quality in terms of dogs. I used to own 2 german import Rottweilers because singapore rottweilers are so small. They lived a good life and pass away so now I decided to go for English Cocker Spaniels.

I went to RSPCA that day because I believe fate wanted me to meet that poor fellow. (FYI, I only go for pure breed dogs but I somewhat connected with that shihtzu X)

So let me ask everyone this:

Would you rather a dog take a chance and hopefully find a good, permanent home, or stay in RSPCA for a couple of months and in the end be PTS?

You were bored & visited the RSPCA to relieve that boredom? And 'connected' with a little dog.... whose adoption was denied you on the basis of non-residency as a student. Did you tell the RSPCA that you'd already ordered a Cocker pup.... thus meaning there would be 2 dogs to transport back to Singapore? But fortunately their policy in not adopting to students without permanent residency, kicked in before that.

Frankly, I'm leaving you at this point. Your belief that 'fate' has somehow been prevented by the RSPCA is irrational. 'Fate' brought on by being 'bored'.

Interestingly, you've made no response to the fact that lovely pet dogs needing new homes and needing their lives saved via sponsorship.... are already in the country to which you will return. And where you have permanent residency.

Edited by mita

I'm surprised you remembered! I'm still waiting for my ECS. Already on the waiting list of one of the most respected ECS breeder in VIC. My pup should arrive Feb-March 2013.

Why is the Cocker Spaniel breeder the "most respected in VIC"? Do they know you are planning to take the pup OS? That's a long time to wait as there are curently 18 litters available on DOL puppy page.

Why I'm getting the ECS from them is a long story.

Like I said before, I'm an international student, Asian but have a huge passion for dogs.

Even before I came over, I did my research and found a couple of champion breeders. Being the Champions that they are, do you think they're just gonna hand one of their precious puppies over to a dodgy Asian student? Not really. I started emailing the couple of them I narrowed down to. I told them about myself and my intentions. Response wasn't so good but some did reply me nicely. I called them up on the phone and asked if I could visit their homes to take a look at their dogs. Again response wasn't so good. I asked them if I could visit them in one of their shows. No way they can say no to that right?

I visit their shows usually in KCC park (about 40 mins drive for me) and spoke directly to a couple of them, I can see a change in attitude but not entirely sure yet. I visit the shows a couple more times and became more friendly. One day I made a breakthrough, they invited me to their house to see the difference in behavior at home and away from home.

I went over to have a look at the future parents of my pup to check their temperament at home, asked a couple of questions and the breeder finally asked if I wanna have one. Imagine the joy.

Long story short, I didn't get myself the pup easily. It was a long and tedious journey. I've been here for 18 months. That's how long it took to gain their trust.

You were bored & visited the RSPCA to relieve that boredom? And 'connected' with a little dog.... whose adoption was denied you on the basis of non-residency as a student. Did you tell the RSPCA that you'd already ordered a Cocker pup.... thus meaning there would be 2 dogs to transport back to Singapore? But fortunately their policy in not adopting to students without permanent residency, kicked in before that.

Some people watch tv when they are bored, some people use the computer when they are bored, I like to be around dogs when I'm bored. Is that a crime? I'm sorry but I don't see where you are going with this.

Just be aware that having champion dogs and being respected as a breeder do not necessarily go hand in hand. Ask in the cocker thread, privately is best, and get opinions, and make sure the breeder health tests their breeding dogs.

Frankly, I'm leaving you at this point. Your belief that 'fate' has somehow been prevented by the RSPCA is irrational. 'Fate' brought on by being 'bored'.

Interestingly, you've made no response to the fact that lovely pet dogs needing new homes and needing their lives saved via sponsorship.... are already in the country to which you will return. And where you have permanent residency.

I firmly believe you gotta click and connect with a dog before you can bring him home. I found one in Australia that did just that and I wanna save him. What's wrong with that?

If you're all kind and mighty, why don't you just adopt every single abandoned dog in the world? Geezz.... And what makes you think I never volunteer in Singapore?

I was an international student (from Malaysia) and it saddens me to say this but I have seen so many so many so many cases where international students get pets because they are sooo cute, all the time swearing left, right and center that it will be forever, they will bring it back to their home country with them, etc etc etc only later to decide otherwise and surrender the poor pet, which usually end up highly unsocialized or has a long list of behavioral problems because the student just didn't put in enough effort into the dog, instead just treating it as a cute ornament.

Its sad but true, dog ownership in south east Asia just typically isnt the same as it is here (im sure there are exceptions but this is just based on my own observation/experience). These international students simply lack the education and knowledge about owning a pet as dogs are more commonly seen as guard dogs or backyard commodities back overseas.

Like the OP, I've had dogs all my life, and when I came here, just like the OP, life didn't feel right without a dog. But I knew I was a student and so many unpredictable factors can change and I just knew it would be better to not get a dog during that stage in my life, even though life was incomplete without one. I held off and only committed to a dog after I had my PR, had settled down permanently in Aus, after graduating & getting a job etc.

I agree with the RSPCA's decision in this case. To the OP, why don't you just wait the few years until you go back to Singapore, then adopt from a shelter there? There are thousands of needy animals in SE Asia. It would save you the cost of transport and saves the dog the stress of travel. And you'd still be saving a life. It sucks being without a dog now, but it will much fairer to both the dog and yourself.

Just be aware that having champion dogs and being respected as a breeder do not necessarily go hand in hand. Ask in the cocker thread, privately is best, and get opinions, and make sure the breeder health tests their breeding dogs.

Don't worry about that. They're registered breeders. All dogs are health tested. I don't think it's nice for me to mention names but if I do mention their prefix, you'll see they are good breeders.

I went to RSPCA that day because I believe fate wanted me to meet that poor fellow. (FYI, I only go for pure breed dogs but I somewhat connected with that shihtzu X)

Would you rather a dog take a chance and hopefully find a good, permanent home, or stay in RSPCA for a couple of months and in the end be PTS?

I see a disturbing sense of entitlement coming from you that wasn't evident before and as I mentioned earlier, I know of an o/s student who readily admitted he would return the dog to the RSPCA when he was due to return home. Had this student thought there was anything untoward about dumping the dog when it was time for him to leave the country I doubt he would have been so forthcoming about his intentions.

None of us are are entitled to adopt a dog unless we meet the criteria of the shelter. You didn't meet their criteria. I would not expect any shelter to allow me to adopt a dog simply because I thought I would be the best owner for the dog.

What makes you think this particular dog will spend another couple of months in the shelter only to be euthanised? That's very presumptive. Do you think you're the only person who would be interested in what sounds to be a happy, intelligent, friendly and very likeable dog. I daresay many people will be just as interested in adopting him as you are. They too will probably think fate lead them to this particular dog.

Some people did not read my previous posts and said I am "being incredibly selfish, one track minded and shortsighted".

Let me repeat. I INTEND TO BRING THEM HOME WITH ME!!

Even before I thought of getting a dog here, I asked around in the forum for the price of bringing a dog back home and I got quotes from a couple of different pet transport companies. So before accusing me of "being incredibly selfish, one track minded and shortsighted", know me better first.

Couple of reasons why I wanna get a dog here are as follow:

I love dogs and life without a dog now is just different.

Australia produces good quality dogs. Singapore doesn't have good breeders. I'm a sucker for quality in terms of dogs. I used to own 2 german import Rottweilers because singapore rottweilers are so small. They lived a good life and pass away so now I decided to go for English Cocker Spaniels.

If the dog was a shih tzu x then it's highly likely it will be rehomed to a good, permanent (and stable) home very quickly. Small fluffy dogs are popular so unlikely to remain in a shelter for long.

Also remember that not all dogs would cope with the overseas travel and change in lifestyle that you are proposing.

I was an international student (from Malaysia) and it saddens me to say this but I have seen so many so many so many cases where international students get pets because they are sooo cute, all the time swearing left, right and center that it will be forever, they will bring it back to their home country with them, etc etc etc only later to decide otherwise and surrender the poor pet, which usually end up highly unsocialized or has a long list of behavioral problems because the student just didn't put in enough effort into the dog, instead just treating it as a cute ornament.

Its sad but true, dog ownership in south east Asia just typically isnt the same as it is here (im sure there are exceptions but this is just based on my own observation/experience). These international students simply lack the education and knowledge about owning a pet as dogs are more commonly seen as guard dogs or backyard commodities back overseas.

Like the OP, I've had dogs all my life, and when I came here, just like the OP, life didn't feel right without a dog. But I knew I was a student and so many unpredictable factors can change and I just knew it would be better to not get a dog during that stage in my life, even though life was incomplete without one. I held off and only committed to a dog after I had my PR, had settled down permanently in Aus, after graduating & getting a job etc.

I agree with the RSPCA's decision in this case. To the OP, why don't you just wait the few years until you go back to Singapore, then adopt from a shelter there? There are thousands of needy animals in SE Asia. It would save you the cost of transport and saves the dog the stress of travel. And you'd still be saving a life. It sucks being without a dog now, but it will much fairer to both the dog and yourself.

I'm gonna say something that's gonna sound bad but I like pure breed dogs. Cross breed looks weird and I never really liked them. Personal preference. But when I visited the SPCA in Burwood, I kinda fell in love with that shihtzu cross. I don't know why. We just clicked.

Stop telling me to go back Singapore and help the needy there. I volunteered in SPCA Singapore but I have never clicked with any of the cross breed there. I just help out.

I know everyone is telling me I should go back and adopt from singapore instead but, yes, adopting helps save a life but it's only part of it, you gotta find one that you like too. I'm just saying.

I don't know why people are being so tough on the OP.

They were obviously prepared for a dog, have contacted breeders, know what they're in for overseas transport wise, have guaranteed to take the dog back to singapore with them.

So they fell in love with a dog at the RSPCA and were told they couldn't have it, despite being a responsible owner, able to offer a good home. Don't they have a right to be a little peeved and disappointed, even if the RSPCA policy is a good one?

I don't blame them for visiting the RSPCA when they were lonely. I volunteered at the local pound when I was away in college because I missed having a dog so much. My mum was a bit of a dog stalker when our dog passed away- she would go to dog parks and ask if she could cuddle the dogs there!

I also intend to travel and work in the UK in the next few years, and I have a dog. I knew this even before I had her. I absolutely intend to take her with me. Does this make an irresponsible owner?

I do think the RSPCA policy is a sound one, but I can also understand the OP's frustration.