Cheese For Treats/rewards

I use cheese too! :D

I pick a brand that doesn't crumble, and that you can cut into small squares/cubes, experiment with brands to find one that works (I use woolworths brand, also have used Aldi and a few others). I found it helps if the cheese is not too cold - so I leave it out for a few minutes before cutting it.

As to how much, I don't know, I don't measure, depends what we are training :laugh: but if you do feed a klot of treats, you may need to cut down their food or try to use their food as treats sometimes.

I try to use the 50% fat cheese - just to keep the overall fat levels down. Bega So Extra Light is really good in terms of cutting easily and not crumbling - and is 50% fat. I use a mixture of human stuff for treats - Inghams make a chicken sandwich loaf which a good deli will cut into thicker slices for you - about 1cm thic - then you can cut that up into smaller pieces. Again, it doesn't crumble. And mine might get Devon or Kabana - they never know which flavour they're getting. The salt content is a bit of a worry I guess.

A super duper treat - which technically we can't use down here in tasmania - is lamb liver - I rinse it, soak it in milky water for a little while, then boil it in clean water for about an hour - then when it's cooler, slice it finely, and cut it into trats, and then bag it in zippy bags and freeze it.

How much depends on how much training you do - remember treats don't have to be large - I might break the 1cm cube into 2 or more pieces - even for my adult BCs. The treats have to be quick, not big. You can jackpot with one or two small cubes broken into a couple of pieces each - treat, treat, treat, treat - like a machine gun - pup thinks he's getting more than he actually is. I use the snack size zippy snap plastic bags - and maybe go through one a day for each of my dogs - maybe more if I'm doing a lot.

I keep my dogs on the lean side - because of what I want them to do. My 10.5 year old BC bitch (49cmn at shoulders but finely built) weighs 14.6/14.8 kg, and my 4 year old male weighs about 20.6/20.8 kg - a bit too lean maybe, especially for the sho ring - but hey, he's a performance dog first. I take my guys in to the vet's office to weigh them every few weeks, just to see how we're going. And go by whether I can feel ribs, and/or see a tuck in/tuck up. Less to worry about with a pup - but still good to keep them on the leanish side, especially from about 6 months up.

But again, as Kavik says - just sort of take account of how much pup is getting in treats, and adjust the meals down a little if you need to.

If I'm using food treat rewards I tend to use the Bega cubed cheese - and I chop each cube down into 4 cubes. That's what I use for an adult large dog. You could go smaller again for a pup. Just watch too much of it over a short space could affect stools so keep an eye out. I tend to use lower value treats for stuff already known and easy. Also, I don't necessarily stick to one food treat style for all times. Sometimes cooked sausage cut into very small cubes; sometimes frankfurts; sometimes ......

Much depends on what the dog likes and that can mean variations :).

Edited by Erny

Thanks for the info' folks.

ATM I'm using: "love 'em" puppy rewards (these are the lower value ones), for higher value rewards I use: "Jer High" Milky Sticks for puppies, "Pedigree" Puppy trainers and boiled chicken.

I'm now going to add: cheese, sausage & chicken loaf, keep her guessing :laugh:

Cheers,

J

Have you had a look at this page for some yummy treat ideas...I have posted it a few times...but here it is again Yummy, simple homemade treats & they are healthy too :) I find a bit too much cheese can upset their tummies.

Anything new I give her in very small doses :)

Thanks for the link, I'll check that out now :D

Ohhh and boiled chicken, well the attention was unbelievable :eek:

Have you had a look at this page for some yummy treat ideas...I have posted it a few times...but here it is again Yummy, simple homemade treats & they are healthy too :) I find a bit too much cheese can upset their tummies.

I've just been checking out the recipes and several of them say to add garlic, I was under the impression that garlic was a BIG no-no for dogs, like onion. :confused:

Cheers,

J.

Garlic is not the same as onion, as far as dogs go. A dog would have to eat a whole bulb (clump) of garlic for it to do any harm. Garlic in small doses is actually beneficial to your dog & can help to repel parasites. Many of the more "natural" dog foods contain garlic. My dogs go nuts over those treats I have listed :thumbsup: I roughly cut them up into 1cm cubes, but can then break them up smaller if I feel inclined to do so, & deliver the treat nice & slow or throw them down in rapid succession, depending on what I am training.

Garlic is not the same as onion, as far as dogs go. A dog would have to eat a whole bulb (clump) of garlic for it to do any harm. Garlic in small doses is actually beneficial to your dog & can help to repel parasites. Many of the more "natural" dog foods contain garlic. My dogs go nuts over those treats I have listed :thumbsup: I roughly cut them up into 1cm cubes, but can then break them up smaller if I feel inclined to do so, & deliver the treat nice & slow or throw them down in rapid succession, depending on what I am training.

Ahhh thanks, for some reason I had it in my head that garlic was a no go. Makes life a bit easier, I can actually give her some of our leftovers now.

J.

Please be careful with the cheese, it is best to try & use the Lactose Free cheese & use in small amounts, as dogs can have trouble digesting milk based products.

I have seen a large breed dog been given 1kg of diced cheese within a few hrs, this person did this everyday :eek: that dog now has kidney/liver problems. A few of my friends & my partner tried to tell the owner, talk about ignorance :eek:

chicken chunkers or 4 paws

dog roll

Fritz/devon/chicken roll

liver cake

boiled meat

raw meat/chicken necks

cabana

cooked roo sausage

Any of the above cut into small cubes works well. Just don't give too much of one thing.

I also keep an eye on the salt content of my treats- so try to mix chicken in with my more valuable/salty treats. It picks up the yummy taste but bulks out the amount a fair bit. I use a HEAP of treats when I am out- so for people using less its not an issue.

Edited by Jumabaar

Please be careful with the cheese, it is best to try & use the Lactose Free cheese & use in small amounts, as dogs can have trouble digesting milk based products.

I have seen a large breed dog been given 1kg of diced cheese within a few hrs, this person did this everyday :eek: that dog now has kidney/liver problems. A few of my friends & my partner tried to tell the owner, talk about ignorance :eek:

Did the cheese cause the problems? 1kg per day is a huge amount, I would think the salt and fat content would be a bigger worry than the dairy though?

Did the cheese cause the problems? 1kg per day is a huge amount, I would think the salt and fat content would be a bigger worry than the dairy though?

Absolutely. I wouldn't go through 500gm in a forthnight. And as I've said, I've always got a mixture. 1kg in a dayis just insane - even once.

Having said that, I do warn puppy class people that if their dog is lactose intolerant, they shouldn't use cheese. But for the amounts we're talking about, I haven't known dogs to have a problem.