Home Studio

tlc

Yet another photography discussion, I wondered if anyone has anything set up at home or a mobile studio?

It's something I would like to have but not sure how often I would use it but it would be ace for taking photos for xmas, easter with the dogs, I usually see what I can dig out as a back drop and it never works out the way I want it to. :laugh:

I have been trawling ebay for ideas and found something like THIS It doesn't come with the stands, I'd have to get them separate.

So if anyone has some kind of home studio, I'd love to hear about it or just anyone with ideas of how to go about setting one up. If I never had visitors Id use my spare room but at this stage it would have to be the garage as there is plenty of room.

Those kits are good value to begin, and then decide if you want to go bigger and better. At our previous house we turned a big shed into a studio, but sold the house before getting enough use out of it (after waiting so long to set it up). With a garage you can line it, paint it white, open the doors and tons of natural light comes in (our faced East so morning light was great). Use speedlights and studio lights for fill just as needed, or close the doors and use only lights day or night.

Backdrops: there are cheap starting off ways - the yellow tripod stands for Bunnings workshop lights - heavy curtain rail across between them. Trawl fabric shops, Spotlight, Lincraft etc for end-roll remnants, blacks, whites, autumn-browns etc. And those workshop units for lighting as well, just replace the globe with the "daylight" ones, about $5 each. And read the warning on the box, they run hot hot hot so not for careless use with dogs, okay as long as you are aware.

For comparison, you can hire a "proper" studio light set-up to see if that's what you want, before you spend hundreds-plus on one. Camera House in Croydon were not expensive, or if you are in a Camera Club or Photographic Society they generally have lights that members can borrow or hire short term.

I was happy here without a studio for a year, the outdoor stuff is just so good I didn't worry about it, but now I'm looking at a long narrow annex on our garage that is only horse stuff, gym stuff, and feed/hay. I can use half of it, would be about 4x6 metres, and will start to work out lining/painting. All my stuff is still in storage miles away so you will probably be up and running long before me, but deciding to do it is a start.

Thank you so much for the ideas, I don't want to spend heaps if I do go ahead in case it something I don't use much, so your suggestions are great. Mine would have to be making se of available space with a kit I can pack away, unless I get a bigger house. :laugh: