Got The Hang Of Sit & Drop But....

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Heaps of good advice here already.

Some things I wish someone told me first - If you have more than one dog teach different release words so later you can release dogs at different times. My first two had "Break" but limits the opportunity to play with the release. Sometimes I like to get both to sit/drop. Release just one dog and after a few metres get that dog to sit. Walk further and release the other dog. He runs past the first dog I released who (hopefully)is still sitting. Like playing leapfrog.

Also I taught both dogs to STAY. Not knowing that its better to teach ...STAY means I will come back to you and you will not come to me. WAIT means I will call you to do something in a minute ( or so).

And in regards to a drop going back to a sit. My young kelpie has a default position of a drop. So my pup will drop before everything. Meaning as a position to hold while waiting to work or tug, whatever. I could tell her to sit if I wanted but unless told otherwise she will drop. It seems to come naturally to her anyway.

So sometimes she drops from her sit when I did ask for sit. I could lure her with food and with a sweeping motion, palm up, lift my hand up in front of her and she should rise to a sit. But someone (obedience person) also suggested step forward a little into there space. Even touch their toes gently if needed. Once they get it you would fade the food and the movement forward. Nobody else has mentioned this so wondered if anybody else does this or is it not considered the norm?

I find stand the hardest to teach as I have little dogs too who are always trying to look into your fACE. AS the head comes up, the bum goes down. Fun little buggers aren't they.

Good luck.

Zug Zug - I like your explanation of sit/drop/stand exercises. Will give mine a little go at that. Thanks

Edited by skip