Small Dog Agility?

Tibbie_tabbie

Hello all, I have a small (Tibetan spaniel x) boy, approx 2 years old. He is extremely agile and energetic. He loves climbing, jumping, sprinting to the point that we 'play' agility when out on walks (in the park he jumps up on a low wall and follows me running along side it, we do weaves in between posts etc)

I know they have tibbie agility in the US, has anyone done any with a small dog in Aus? I guess they would need a special small dog group?

Incidentally at a dog day (before we adopted the tib)I tried my lazy JRT x at agility......she ran into the tunnel and lay down in it where I couldn't reach her....... It was suggested agility might not be for her....

You can absolutely do agility with your small dog. They trial at the same trials as the bigger dogs, often on the same courses, they just change the heights.

The standard jumping heights for ANKC agility are:

The 200 group includes Papillons, chis, small JRTs and other little dogs.

There is a bichon x here who is an AGGRCH (and jumpers champion now I think) and did very well at the aussie nationals too, so most certainly little dogs can do agility, and do it well!

Edited by DiscoDobe

Oh awesome! That's great, I've seen a few groups doing it but they were all bc and kelpies, didn't want to approach in case they thought I was mad!

Now I know it does happen over here (I have proof on DOL :) ) I will speak to some of the groups :)

Thank you all for your replies!

Yep any dog can do it my girl Ella is 310mm at the shoulder so she jumps 300 height, my little sheltie also jumped 300 :)

Australian agility is getting more and more little dog friendly with more clubs bringing in separate heights comps which I think is great for the little kids mind you jock didn't have a problem keeping up with the big dogs and neither does Ella LOL

Yep any dog can do it my girl Ella is 310mm at the shoulder so she jumps 300 height, my little sheltie also jumped 300 :)

Australian agility is getting more and more little dog friendly with more clubs bringing in separate heights comps which I think is great for the little kids mind you jock didn't have a problem keeping up with the big dogs and neither does Ella LOL

Hello all, I have a small (Tibetan spaniel x) boy, approx 2 years old. He is extremely agile and energetic. He loves climbing, jumping, sprinting to the point that we 'play' agility when out on walks (in the park he jumps up on a low wall and follows me running along side it, we do weaves in between posts etc)

I know they have tibbie agility in the US, has anyone done any with a small dog in Aus? I guess they would need a special small dog group?

Incidentally at a dog day (before we adopted the tib)I tried my lazy JRT x at agility......she ran into the tunnel and lay down in it where I couldn't reach her....... It was suggested agility might not be for her....

Hi :D definitely can tell you there is Tibbie that competes here in Vic, every trial I have steward at he has been there,

oh boy he gives the bigger breeds a run for their money score wise :laugh: ,

I love watching the little ones go through :D

Hi :D definitely can tell you there is Tibbie that competes here in Vic, every trial I have steward at he has been there,

oh boy he gives the bigger breeds a run for their money score wise :laugh: ,

I love watching the little ones go through :D

Oh awesome!!

I know of 2 Yorkshire Terriers doing Agility in Melbourne. Amazing little dogs, great performers!!

Here are some Tibbies in their very first agility competition. Tibs ought to be fine because their hare-feet give them confidence in climbing.

http://www.seduhin.net/agility.htm

One of the Q'ld breeders told me she took her Tibbies to lure-coursing activities because once again their hare-feet allow them to run like the wind.

The tib boy next door was named Brockie, after Peter Brock, because of his speed in running.

Edited by mita

Thank you everyone for the advice and support. I've contacted a local group and we are going tomorrow morning to watch the training and have a chat about joining up! Yay!

Awesome! Keep us updated on how it goes :)

There really are some great little dogs out there... in NZ little dogs compete against big dogs if there aren't enough dogs competing to "split" a class, and I have seen some very small ones beat Border Collies at the top level of the sport - they certainly are very capable! :D

We have two agility champions at our club - both shelties. They give the BCs and Kelpies a run for their money.

Here's a tibby. There's quite a few on youtube. Including what look like a few with their own ideas of where to go next.

I thought tibetan terriers were a completely different breed :confused:

We had a tibetan spaniel and a x at a club I used to train at in Sydney. They both did agility and flyball.

We have two agility champions at our club - both shelties. They give the BCs and Kelpies a run for their money.

Here's a tibby. There's quite a few on youtube. Including what look like a few with their own ideas of where to go next.

I thought tibetan terriers were a completely different breed :confused:

We had a tibetan spaniel and a x at a club I used to train at in Sydney. They both did agility and flyball.

They are, you get Tibetan spaniels, tibetan mastiffs and Tibetan terriers........although they aren't really spaniels, mastiffs or terriers, just named after the breeds they seemed most like when brought to Europe :)

Guest Panzer Attack!

My midget (3kg Papillon) is the smallest at our club (that I've seen), EVERYONE knows Scooter! He does foundation with a BC, Kelpie x and a big ol pound doggie. He definitely holds his own, lol.