Planning On Doing Agility

Jozlyn

Hi,

I'm planning on doing agility with my Kelpie, Abby (currently 16 weeks old) in the future.

Do I need to have a crate to keep her in at the events?

If so, what size? Would 42" be big enough?

Should I get it now so that she gets used to it or can I leave that for a while?

Many thanks,

Jozlyn.

Having a crate is very handy. For agility you need something or somewhere to keep them while you walk the course and while helping to set up/pack up equipment. I prefer a crate to a tie out for a couple of reasons.

1) They can relax in a crate and get away from the stimulation of the environment - and events can run all day.

2) I know that they cannot approach or be approached by other dogs/people

You want the crate big enough that they can turn around and stand up. Remember that you will have to carry the crate though, it doesn't have to be huge.

You can start crate training at any time, you might as well start now! You want them to be used to going in it well before you take them to training or events and expect them to stay in there for any length of time.

Edited by Kavik

I would also recommend crate training your young kelpie pup. As Kavik mentions its good to have somewhere safe and secure where they can settle when you leave them at training and trials and the sooner you get them accustomed the more readily they can take to it. The other benefit is having a super active breed if you ever have the misfortune of having the dog injured and being forced to strictly rest them it greatly assists to have a dog who is readily accustomed to being confined in a crate for varying periods of time.

You don't *have* to have a crate - but by gosh, it is handy to have a crate & a crate trained dog not just for agility but for a whole heap of reasons. My kelpie loves his, he's not particularly big (bigger than most show kelpies though) & his crate is 90cm long.

I would look into Susan Garrett's "Crate Games". A crate isn't just a place to keep your dog, it can also be used to teach impulse control, really clear criteria for stationary positions, and to transfer joy and drive into whatever you want the dog to love.

I would look into Susan Garrett's "Crate Games". A crate isn't just a place to keep your dog, it can also be used to teach impulse control, really clear criteria for stationary positions, and to transfer joy and drive into whatever you want the dog to love.

I have never read Susan Garrett's book but that is absolutely correct, the reason that my dog loves his crate so much is that I have conditioned him - because if you go into your crate, then you get to come out & PLAY! :dancingelephant: . He will lie in there all day sleeping & just lounging around, but as soon as I open that door - BAM - he is ready to work. It's amazing the amount of drive that you can build up by putting them in a crate :) .

Jozlyn, that looks very similar to mine, the only thing I would say is that metal crates can be heavy if you have to lug them around all the time, in the future think about getting a soft crate as well, they are much much lighter to carry if you go somewhere & then you can leave the metal one to use at home.

ETA - you can get metal crates with plastic inserts or metal inserts, both have some advantages & disadvantages, I guess it's up to you to work out which one would suit you best, I have both metal & plastic trays & I'm happy with both.

Edited by MrsD

I like the security of the metal ones - I worry about the sturdyness of the softcrates - I have seen dogs break out of them - maybe I am just paranoid but I like knowing my dog is not getting out and another dog is not getting in. Yes they are heavier, but I like the security.

Each of my kelps fit happily in a 36" crate, one is a little 19kg pocket rocket (looks smaller tho, she's all muscle :eek:) and the other a long-bodied & leggy 23kg boy so the sizing you've chosen sounds good :)

Edited by Weasels

I would love it, but it's a bit pricey for me atm.