For Those That Haven't Gone To Training Recently

Cosmolo

Things like stays, real loose lead walking, recalls, food refusal, stopping at curbs, leave it, spit it out, that sort of stuff. In real life scenarios, not the unreal environment of a big open expanse at an obedience club. A formal recall on an empty oval doesn't necessarily translate to a recall from a smelly dead possum while on a casual walk in an off-lead park.

Didn't you do the puppy class at Croydon? We do all that stuff in that class. A couple of the lessons are walking around the streets. We do stopping at curbs out on the road. Recalls up at the local school. Ok I haven't taken a real dead possum for the leave it class but I tell them that is why we are teaching it!

I didn't do puppy school at Croydon - started in basic 1. Sounds good though. Maybe that sort of stuff should be in basic 1 as well.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another part of our conversation that appealed to me is her attitude toward my dog's breed. I have had some bad experiences, even from so called "dog lovers", we have been turned away from more than one boarding kennel on account of breed.

Just a bit on this comment Boarding Kennels have to meet the requirements to board pit bulls or crosses .

If the kennels do not meet the requirements then they legally shouldn't take them.

They are bound by all the same requirements as owners are in varying states .

We have strict rules we must follow if boarding Pitties & it is often not the easiest of tasks due to the procedure & also relying on owners to follow procedure to

dee lee - this is what most private training groups do, but most try to teach a loose heel (I'd love them to ditch it, and teach a "stay close/check-in" instead).

That's great! :thumbsup:

Sadly, there seem to be a lack of them round these here parts. :(

Another part of our conversation that appealed to me is her attitude toward my dog's breed. I have had some bad experiences, even from so called "dog lovers", we have been turned away from more than one boarding kennel on account of breed.

Just a bit on this comment Boarding Kennels have to meet the requirements to board pit bulls or crosses .

If the kennels do not meet the requirements then they legally shouldn't take them.

They are bound by all the same requirements as owners are in varying states .

We have strict rules we must follow if boarding Pitties & it is often not the easiest of tasks due to the procedure & also relying on owners to follow procedure to

O yes, I have a very good boarding kennel locally now, I like them, she has to wear a red collar and be boarded alone ofc, but that's appropriate and I just pay for extra play sessions for her so she gets enough interaction with people, the collar immediately lets staff know to take caution around other dogs (they don't really need to under normal circumstances, she's fine if everything's on leash, but no harm in extra precautions with a dog you don't know IMO). But the ringing around to find this kennel was demoralising to say the least. I understand regulations, that's fine, if they had said something like "Sorry but legally we can't", I would have understood. It was just the incredibly snooty attitude that bothered me. "Oh no, we don't take THOSE dogs here". Like she has leprosy or something. :/

dee lee - this is what most private training groups do, but most try to teach a loose heel (I'd love them to ditch it, and teach a "stay close/check-in" instead).

That's great! :thumbsup:

Sadly, there seem to be a lack of them round these here parts. :(

If anyone knows of a place in Sydney that does this, I'm keen too!

I have not been to training in around 4 months. That is only because we are in the process of building and starting a business and my time is very limited.

Yes I will do more training but a little down the track. I go to our local club but do my own thing so don't have any issues with classes too long/boring etc.

I dont have too many issues with dogs lunging or getting in my dogs personal space as I work a little away from them and if any dogs/owners cause an issue they get told.

I stopped goign to formal classes quite a while ago because the so called instructors were nothing more than pet owners that had been "Trained" by the club. It was a joke and some of the things they were recommending people do with there dogs problems were causing more problems. Anyone that knew anything about dog training were effectively shut down by the high and might club stalwarts who thought they knew it all but really had no idea.

I had a look at my old club and found it had gone down hill. Many people had complained numerous times about an aggressive dog who had bitten both people and dogs before was not muzzled and left unattended and tethered only in a high traffic area. Why do you ask? The instructors deemed it was the best thing to do so it could get used to other dogs around???? None of the complaints were ever actiioned by the club either because the dog in question was owned by a so called instructor.

Hmmmmm, this sounds familiar. Are you in SW Sydney?

No Newcastle - so it seems the idiots are all located in Newcastle area. I just can't understand their mentality. The way they run the club is a major disaster waiting to happen. Class numbers are not restricted and there can be 30 - 40 people and dogs in a class!!!!! The other clubs in the area were basically started up by members who were frustrated by this club and guess what they are all the same!!!! Not a single club in this area promotes positive training and none will allow the use of a clicker anywhere on the grounds. Newcastle is still in the dark ages when dog training is concerned.

It's soul destroying going to Newcastle on a Sunday morning. So many dogs who are disconnected from their handlers. I only go to use their classes as a distraction, but I have been told to move away from some classes as playing tug (quietly) with my dog is too distracting. :mad

What was the reason why you stopped training your dog?

A bit of it was lack of time but with contributing factors. One dog he is at the level in both obedience and agility where control off leash is a necessary requirement which at the moment he does not have and so to be fair to the class mates and so I am not constantly getting annoyed at him he was pulled out. With the other dog he stopped going to obedience due to lack of time and as while he excelled at somethings he could not do some of the requirements to pass and I am not sure he will be able to get them without a lot of work which goes back to the time aspect.

Do you feel your dog is well trained enough?

One knows lots of behaviors but lacks control, the other yes to get bye

Did you not get results from previous training attempts?

We got some results and both dogs and I did learn lot

Is training too far away/ too often/ too expensive?

No

Did you find training boring?

No when I went with well behaved dogs I enjoyed it.

What would prompt you to start training again or would you not start training again regardless?

Free time when the class times are and some motivation to make some more effort with them

Edited by Primedogs

Interesting comments everyone, thanks to all who have contributed. We are about to completely restructure our classes and while there are some things we can't change (distance to travel etc) there are lots of things to take into consideration.

For those who have attened clubs or classes that they have found 'depressing' what do you think would be the best way to create change in these situations?

1) What was the reason why you stopped training your dog?

To be honest I attended to socialize Scout as a youngin and to gain his training certificate for cheaper yearly registration [basically pass grade 2]. So once he got his certificate I felt he was adequately trained for being a pet [doesn't pull my arm out the socket when on walks and behaves nicely in public]. Scout started training at 18 weeks old and finished up when he was near 2 years old.

2) Do you feel your dog is well trained enough?

For general pet life, yes

3) Did you not get results from previous training attempts?

Yes I did, Scout learnt to heel beautifully and pay attention to me. If I stop he automatically sits and waits for me to move on again.

4) Is training too far away/ too often/ too expensive?

The training I attended isn't too far away, it's within my Council zone and is run by the Council/volunteers once a week. Was only about $25 a year if living within the Council zone.

5) Are you simply too busy?

Yes and no, depends on the week.

6) Did you find training boring?

No, I always enjoyed training nights.

7) What would prompt you to start training again or would you not start training again regardless?

If I get another pup later on he will attend training until he gains his certificate =]

Interesting comments everyone, thanks to all who have contributed. We are about to completely restructure our classes and while there are some things we can't change (distance to travel etc) there are lots of things to take into consideration.

For those who have attened clubs or classes that they have found 'depressing' what do you think would be the best way to create change in these situations?

As a border collie owning, volunteer instructor with no formal qualifications at a public club I am feeling rather depressed about instructing, lol. All my old pupils look pleased to see me so I hope I didn't do too crap a job!

I like the idea of clubs offering separate competitive obedience and recreation/socialization streams.

This way both serious obedience people and average pet owners can be happy.

In my obedience school, unfortunately neither group is well catered for. The level of precision expected is not high enough for someone who wants to trial but the class work is very "old school" obedience type exercises like 30 mins of "heeling" and boring sit/drop/stay exercises.

I would actually go back to obedience if it was more serious and aimed at triallers, with more experienced instructors and also went for a shorter period. 1 hour is too long for my dog to expect a high level of work with no break.

I don't know if you have access to a better area but as we train on the local oval, there isn't any opportunity for off leash work or recall under distraction which is what many people are really after. Actually, recently the oval was closed for work, and we did street walks and agility exercises which many people found much more enjoyable and beneficial. People generally only want dogs that walk well on lead, can be taken to dog parks and come back when they're called.

I did a "manners" and advanced manners class with my dog when she was younger and found them to be WAY for beneficial for everyday life. We did loose leash walking, trick training, off leash work under distraction, getting the dog to sit quietly at cafes etc. The only downside to these classes were that they were quite expensive (about the same price as a puppy school course so around $200 for 4 weeks).

One of the problems with providing off leash work in distracting environments within a class is that if participants haven't done any foundation recall work, it becomes too risky and dangerous to take them off lead. For this reason it's very hard to promise that off lead work will be included in classes as it depends on many factors.

How do people feel about having to meet certain criteria to move up to another level? Are assessments or progress reports de-motivating if you don't do very well/ need to put in more work to meet the requirements?

How do people feel about having to meet certain criteria to move up to another level? Are assessments or progress reports de-motivating if you don't do very well/ need to put in more work to meet the requirements?

I HATE assessments! They seem to pretty much freak out most people. I assess the class that I take and everyone passes. They tell them this but without fail on assessment day they all turn into crazy people due to nerves. The other side is some people fluke a pass on the day. I think the instructor putting people up as they are ready is heaps better.

Do you think that that can create the perception of unfairness though? When there is no set criteria and it is just someone's opinion?

There should be a set criteria. ie can sit stay for 10 seconds, llw up and back, doesn't eat the instructor during greeting etc.

People in a class normally know when someone is doing well and have nailed it. The major problem I can see with this method is keeping up the spirits of the people that take a while to get to the standard.

I like feedback from instructors on how were going and what we should work on, rather than a formal assessment. I like the sheets you prepare cos, even though I sometimes think licy did better than her score!!

I think compared to most places your classes are interesting and have small groups. My 2c is that I'd prefer a course to be 6 weeks, because often people just seem to be getting it and the class is over.

The first class I did with you way back when was our most enjoyable. The group I was in had basic sits etc, so we did exercises like walking past your dogs, LAT with other dogs. It kept things moving and these are things that people often struggle with.

Personally, I'd drop the heeling all together and teach something like "check in". I use this with fergs when he's off leash and I want him to stay close but I don't want him to do a formal recall. I think "go to your mat" or crate would be very useful for pet owners too. Some control games like "it's yer choice" could help with impulse control too and they're fun to play with your dog. I also think prt owners could use a hand target to help with NILIF - teach them to ask for it before a pat or treat. This helps develop manners.

I'd love a little take home sheet with a summary of what we've learnt - it is so easy to forget. I agree that most people wouldn't enroll in a focus class, but I think it could be snuck in - starting off with bar open, bar closed, playing a game as a warm up etc. Most people are still old school and need to be told that their dog is self rewarding for focusing on other dogs so their reward rate needs to be very high and actually practice giving 10 treats in a row very fast. Things like marker words could be snuck in too - they make life so much easier.