Border Collie Colours

coogie

Can any Border Colie savvy Dolers tell me if it is possible to have a pure bred Border Collie that is the colour of a red and tan kelpie? The puppy in question was a reddy brown and a tan colour - no white, I was told it was a Border Collie and I asked what it was crossed with as I have never seen a Border Collie that colour.The person selling the pup insisted it was pure and they come in that colour,the other two Border Collie puppies they had for sale looked like a merle and a black and white,they were all supposed to be from the same litter.

I have no intention of buying the puppy but am genuinely curious about the colour and don't know a great deal about the breed and colours.

Maybe SparkyTansy! She was really offended and insistent. Not that I was bothered -I hate the place, but after mulling it over I wondered if they really do come in that colour and I was actually the ignoramus - so thought I would just ask here to see if it was even possible to have this colour combination.(Before I ran off at the mouth anymore) :D

The simple answer is yes, it is possible but unlikely unless it is from a working line with no white. The original breed standard in Aust was black/white, black/tan and black tri. The other colours like chocolate (red in a Kelpie) did occur but were added to the standard later so choc with tan, with or without white markings also had to be possible. Having said that, you can usually find some white on a Border, even if it is just the toes and a few hairs in the middle of the tail tip. Choc tri is not in the Aust standard but overseas they can be any colour.

Was it the breeder Coogie? Or just somewhere like a petshop etc who wouldn't really know?

Sounds weird to me if they were all supposed to be from the same litter, AFAIK kelpies don't come in merle colours & BCs don't come in red & tan!

ETA - dancinbcs, that is interesting, I know you can get tricolours but didn't realise they come without any white.

Edited by MrsD

Thanks dancinbcs, I didn't know that. MrsD it was definitely someone who wouldn't know - it was a petshop, it was only after I asked about the cross that I started to wonder - conformation/coat wise the puppy was very like the other two which did resemble Border Collies but the colour was not something I had seen before. Just being a sticky beak really because the shop in question was selling puppies some time ago that were definitely not what it said on the tin, so I always have a look; although not a long look because it is pretty vile. One of the staff just happened to come out to see if I wanted to buy, so out of interest I asked but she got pretty huffy.I think they get quite a bit of negative feedback so are a bit defensive. Doesn't stop them selling puppies sadly.

Not the best photo but I took this pic of a friend's pure BC a few years ago. This dog does have a little white on his chest, but it would be genetically possible to have no white at all. Just not very common as most dogs possess at least 1 gene for irish markings (traditional BC markings). Janba's Cole (the sire of my Whip) is a black tri with only a very small amount of white on him, not much different just black instead of chocolate.

dsc2626avc0.jpg

Not the best photo but I took this pic of a friend's pure BC a few years ago. This dog does have a little white on his chest, but it would be genetically possible to have no white at all. Just not very common as most dogs possess at least 1 gene for irish markings (traditional BC markings). Janba's Cole (the sire of my Whip) is a black tri with only a very small amount of white on him, not much different just black instead of chocolate.

dsc2626avc0.jpg

STUNNING!

I am betting the pup in question in the OP had a dad who jumped the fence ;) Any person selling to a pet store may not to be aware a litter can have multiple sires.