Bull Breeds

nawnim

We talk a lot these days about bull breeds and I wonder sometimes exactly what a bull breed is, apart from the obvious ones such as staffordshire bull terrier, and American pit bull terrier. Are bully breeds defined by their appearance, temperament, or even their ancestry? I am interested to know what other dolers think about this.

Edited by padraic

Yes, anything with bull in the name is a bull breed but normally when people say bull breed they are referring to SBT, Amstaff, APBT, English Bull Terrier. At least in my experience anyway.

If people are referring to a Bulldog or a Bullmastiff they will normally say so, bull breed seems to normally be the breeds I mentioned above and crosses of similar breeds.

Edited by Aussie3

Yes, anything with bull in the name is a bull breed but normally when people say bull breed they are referring to SBT, Amstaff, APBT, English Bull Terrier. At least in my experience anyway.

If people are referring to a Bulldog or a Bullmastiff they will normally say so, bull breed seems to normally be the breeds I mentioned above and crosses of similar breeds.

I hate the term Bull Breed because people think it includes Bulldogs and Bullmastiffs at times, who have completely different temperaments and instincts to the "Bull" Terrier breeds that include SBT, Amstaff, Pitbulls and the actual Bull Terriers as well as crosses of these breeds.

The "Bull" Terrier breeds used to be known as the the "Fighting Terrier breeds" in some books but that term is now considered politically incorrect.

Edited by dancinbcs

I hate the term Bull Breed because people think it includes Bulldogs and Bullmastiffs at times, who have completely different temperaments to the "Bull" Terrier breeds that include SBT, Amstaff, Pitbulls and the actual Bull Terriers as well as crosses of these breeds.

Yep I agree. That's the problem with BSL. Bull breed can mean pretty much anything depending on who's saying it.