Tether Training ..........

persephone

Fred is 5 mths and I have left his tether training later than usual :o

Anyway - today's the day ..and this photo was taken a short time ago ..10 minutes into his very first session with collar & tether . As a reward for spending about a half hour quiet & just watching the world go by ..he now has an almost empty peanut butter jar to entertain himself :p

post-1359-0-53622600-1344921005_thumb.jpg

andrewang .. we use it as our dogs are working sheepdogs...we live in the bush, and dogs are chained when not working, or with us .pups are trained when young ..

I do not recommend chaining dogs in suburbia ...

'tether training' is a good thing for dog shows etc .. :)

So many people in suburbia now use crates to contain dogs as part of a training routine, or during illness :) ..nice roomy crates, and a period of crate training, have taken the place of tethers ..used for many years .

Why do you want/need to tether your dog?

He looks like a smart boy, and quite relaxed about this new job he has!

had to laugh... I took his collar and lead off ... he trotted away & went to the toilet ..then went back to the 'training bed' , ( a place he hadn't been sleeping before) curled up ,& went to sleep :) yayyy, Freddie!

andrewang .. we use it as our dogs are working sheepdogs...we live in the bush, and dogs are chained when not working, or with us .pups are trained when young ..

I do not recommend chaining dogs in suburbia ...

'tether training' is a good thing for dog shows etc .. :)

So many people in suburbia now use crates to contain dogs as part of a training routine, or during illness :) ..nice roomy crates, and a period of crate training, have taken the place of tethers ..used for many years .

Why do you want/need to tether your dog?

I'm getting a puppy soon and I've been looking up on training methods and stuff. Lots of tutorials online on crate training but never actually heard of tether training until today.

Thanks for the info though.

How long do you leave your pups on a tether when training?

..depends on the pup....but normally a couple of hours ..

It is different with our dogs , and I will say , singleton dogs who are part of a family may well react entirely differently....

our working pups/dogs live outside 90% of the time..and that is where they spend time with us ..so they are very used to not having their humans within paw poking distance :)

restriction of movement , and separation from humans is something our guys need to be accepting of, and quiet about!

The first few days of training they are on the back porch ..with a comfy bed, lots of nice things to eat ...and the 'privilege' of being so close to the house/us.

All being well, and having a nice relaxed pup, they are gradually moved away , until they are content to then have their own space somewhere away from the house.

Fred came to the basket this morning after their run ..and was quite happy to have me put collar/lead on , as he waited for his portion of peanut butter toast :p ...