Need Your Experienced Eye

Guest donatella

My advice and the advice that was given to me from one of Australia's best Pom breeders, buy from a breeder who SHOWS their Poms. Then you will know they are truly bred to standard as many strive for the best conformation and not just to push out puppies.

This is truly the best advice I have received and my next purchase will only be from a Pom breeder who shows their Poms.

They look like Poms though, have you read through the Pom standard?

Guest donatella

Do they come with pedigree papers? If not, walk away.

pedigree paper do not mean they are bred to standard!

I am not a pom expert, so I can't give you an opinion.

I will say it is a risky move to ask the views of strangers in public - for various reasons you may not get a realistic answer and you may put the breeder offside.

Many people are sensitive these days about a) others putting up public pictures of their dogs online & b) those dogs being critically critiqued in public. The breed groups on FB are full of drama that arises from these two things. I am not commenting on whether I think that's right or wrong, just saying that it's a source of potential hassle.

If I was new to Poms, and I wanted to show, I would pick a breeder who has success in the ring (look at the pointscores) and then ask a helpful all breeds judge or experienced toy person if they would be prepared to give me a quiet, private opinion on the dog I was considering. I would listen to Pom people, but I would bear breed politics in mind. This comment is not supposed to reflect poorly on Pom people. For all I know they are lovely people who all get on. I'm just going on my own breed :laugh:

PS - We once asked someone an opinion about a dog we were thinking of purchasing and they weren't aware that the litter existed and they hopped in ahead of us, got a pup and we missed out. So another trap for young players!

The puppies papers only come after you have it. The ad says you can get copies of the parent's pedigrees beforehand via email. This is normal and recommended.

Nothing wrong with advertising in the trading post - it is where a lot of people go to buy a dog.

That said, pols are popular so there are some dodgy registered breeders out there. I'd follow SSM's advice and ask for breeder recommendations...just be prepared go wait.

Guest donatella

PL, You're in Victoria, one of the best Pom breeders in Victoria is Denise of Dochlaghie in Melbourne. Her Poms kill it in the show ring, she breeds to standard, beautiful tiny full coated babies. If you want a Pom true to standard with a breeder of over 35 years experience talk to her.

She rarely advertises as she is so popular people approach her http://www.pomeranian.net/pom/

Guest donatella

hmmm the ad is from the trading post, i'd question the status of their breeder registration to be honest.

This also raises red flags for me: Certificate of Registration and Pedigree of parent is available by request via email

You should receive your puppies registration in the mail not via email, sounds like they are breeding the parent on the side and aren't a Reg Breeder themselves tbh.

buyer beware.

I could be wrong!

I have all of the breeder's details, prefix name & no. and checked it out with Dogs NSW, she is a registered breeder. I have an active mind and questions come to mind, how can I make sure she is breeding from the dogs she is claiming to breed with?

Probably no easy way but to have a little faith being that you've done your homework on her. That is a damn good price for reg pom puppies! is the one you want a little boy or girl. squeeeeeeeeee, how exciting?

Can you ask her to take a pic of the parents with the puppy? you know a recent picture?

eta: there is 6 puppies available, i'd strongly question that the 6 pups came from the same litter seeing as a normal litter is 1-3 with 4 being a large litter.

Edited by donatella

I presume you are seeking a pet, not a show dog?

The adults look like poms to me. The pups look like poms too, and the cream one is very cute. If the breeder is registered, and has shown, I see no problem. The question of whether the parents are really the parents is problematical ..... and I would say that MOSTLY the dogs advertised by registered breeders as the parents are the parents.

If you buy a registered pup as a purebred pom, and it grows up to be half border collie, you have 2 avenues of redress - one is the local canine control who registered the pup, and they will take action in a case like that. Then you have redress to the civil tribunal.

The question of whether the pups are to the standard is problematical -- they look ok to me - but I don't have poms. If they have a few faults, it is not the end of the world ... most pups have a few faults.

Some registered breeders are dodgy, but most are not. Some are just nice honest people, with the lovely hobby of breeding dogs. And they want you to have a lovely pet that they are proud of, and which you will love for life

By all means, contact the people recommended by posters here, but you may have a long wait!!

I'd normally be asleep by now but was disappointed to discover that she edited her ad this evening and now claims she has another 6 pups for sale, this excludes two cream puppies, one that was reserved for me and one that she claims she already had a deposit on, so that adds up to 8 puppies which she had assured me are all from the same litter!!!! I also discovered that she has placed another ad claiming that she wants to sell a number of breeding dogs as she no longer wants to breed, the photo for that particular ad is not of her pom, she downloaded it from the net and it belongs to a breeder in the US, she has also used another suburb for this ad but she had mentioned to me earlier this morning that she has a friend residing in that suburb. I fell in love with this pup but I just don't feel secure any more, any advice would be much appreciated.

Edited by Perfumed Lillium

Go with your gut. Always.

You want a breeder with whom you can build a rapport; if you feel the foundations are already shaky AND you have doubts as to the confirmation/lineage of said pups then walk away, heavy heart and all :(

Edited by Pheebs

Guest donatella

Go with your gut. Always.

You want a breeder with whom you can build a rapport; if you feel the foundations are already shaky AND you have doubts as to the confirmation/lineage of said pups then walk away, heavy heart and all :(

Wonderful advice Pheebs!

Guest donatella

PL here is the Pom club of NSW breeder page http://www.pomclubnsw.com/australian%20breeders.htm

are you specifically after creams? Crouchent do cream with big coats, the teddy bear look. Her Poms hit the ring.

There is also 2 cream pups advertised now on dogzonline puppies for sale from a Reg Breeder

My dream pom is a Pomquest Pom. They are soooooo beautfil and the breeders are lovely. Hopefully next year :D

Edited by donatella