First Crack At Action With The 7d

tlc

I'm assuming anniek's suggestion for a shutter speed of 1/4000 or higher is a typo and she means 1/400

No,not a typo..lol

One of the main reasons I upgraded from the 400D - which had a max of 4,000 was to get a max of 8,000. I usually shoot as close to 8,000 as I can for action - greyhounds run bloody fast you know!

:laugh: I was about to answer Snook to say not a typo at all, but it's already been answered.

slower shutter speed if you're going for this effect. Same combo as you have 7D and siggy 17-70, although I suspect one of your little fluffies couldn't go as fast as this little whippet so you might not get quite the same result :laugh:

7396795848_f38d5a63a3.jpg

IMG_1588dpptc by kirislin, on Flickr

Camera Canon EOS 7D

Exposure 0.004 sec (1/250)

Aperture f/7.1

Focal Length 70 mm

ISO Speed 400

slower shutter speed if you're going for this effect. Same combo as you have 7D and siggy 17-70, although I suspect one of your little fluffies couldn't go as fast as this little whippet so you might not get quite the same result :laugh:

7396795848_f38d5a63a3.jpg

IMG_1588dpptc by kirislin, on Flickr

Camera Canon EOS 7D

Exposure 0.004 sec (1/250)

Aperture f/7.1

Focal Length 70 mm

ISO Speed 400

That's a great shot, I definatley know Tullys not as fast as a whippet, she played data nd mouse with one at the park one day, she did a great job of keeping close but the whipped was always a few steps ahead. :laugh: Although I suspect they run a lot faster when chasing the lure!

About this shot, if the dog is frozen and the ground is moving is that because you were moving the camera too? Is that a panning shot?

Edited by tlc

That's a great shot, I definatley know Tullys not as fast as a whippet, she played data nd mouse with one at the park one day, she did a great job of keeping close but the whipped was always a few steps ahead. :laugh: Although I suspect they run a lot faster when chasing the lure!

About this shot, if the dog is frozen and the ground is moving is that because you were moving the camera too? Is that a panning shot?

Yep, I love panning shots to convey speed. I've been told I have a steady hand with my big heavy camera and lens combo. I even had an experienced racing photographer tell me he couldn't pan as steadily as me. :o

This is a friend of mine at a track day last year. My first time photographing motorbikes. Very slow shutter with no IS

5894732001_eb86c63746.jpg

IMG_3064dpp by kirislin, on Flickr

Camera Canon EOS 7D

Exposure 0.013 sec (1/80)

Aperture f/13.0

Focal Length 200 mm

ISO Speed 100

It's been favourited by alot of men (I assume) on flickr who like girls in leather, I was a bit creeped out when I saw the company my poor girlfriend is now keeping :laugh:

Here's another one at 1/80th, it's harder to get slow shots of dogs because they're not rigid like vehicles, bits of them are flexing every which way, so there's alot more luck involved in getting their heads sharp at slow speeds.

7238670546_2d8ca0bca1.jpg

5F6A0312dpptcr by kirislin, on Flickr

So I suppose my point is, for action shots, you either go very fast, or very slow.

Edited by Kirislin

Excellent panning shots, I can imagine how heavy the camera would be if you were using the 70-200, you have the 2.8 yea?

With panning, do you lock focus on the subject or can you let the camera track it while your moving? I must go back to an old thread about panning (might have been a challenge) I'm sure I took some at the park one day that were passable, no where near this standard though.

Excellent panning shots, I can imagine how heavy the camera would be if you were using the 70-200, you have the 2.8 yea?

With panning, do you lock focus on the subject or can you let the camera track it while your moving? I must go back to an old thread about panning (might have been a challenge) I'm sure I took some at the park one day that were passable, no where near this standard though.

any shots you take where the subject and or you, the photographer are moving, the camera must continue to re focus as it follows the moving subject.

With my old DSLR, to try these sort of shots, I had to either wait till the subject got close enough or continuously refocus the shutter when the subject got close enough to shoot. Is amazing what new technology there is with cameras now.

I'm working on it, they are so quick and by the time I get myself sorted to take the shot the moment has passed. :laugh: these are cropped a bit too. I haven't had much chance to use AI servo (tracking) apart from these running shots, I had a few in a row that the first couple were perfectly in focus but the next few were blurry each one blurrier than the last, not sure what happened there, I think I moved of the subject to much and the camera lost its focus.

Anyway I'm having fun figuring it all out. Can't wait for nicer days, we had sun today but the wind was freezing!