First Crack At Action With The 7d

tlc

Hey Guys, just thought I'd pop some pics in here, we went to the park today and I had a good go with the 7D although it was cold and over cast and started to rain we didn't spend a lot of time but I think for my first outing with the dogs the shots came out pretty good.

I am getting on top of focusing which was my biggest thing. One thing I have noticed with canon is the colours I think are really great and very consistent, I shot all these in jpeg and hardly did anything to them in PP.

If anyone has any CC feel free, I hope I will get better as time goes on, i do feel in the short time I have had the camera my pictures have improved already, now I just need the weather to get better and we will be set!!

af31f889.jpg

21c5ffd0.jpg

043171d0.jpg

80711344.jpg

7457341a.jpg

Perils of the local dog parked, its shard with the pony club!

4dd934f4.jpg

bd1a273f.jpg

4ab7770c.jpg

7cc7b230.jpg

The first one looks a bit fuzzy still. In some of the shots the background is distracting. But all of them are better than what I could do so well done :)

ETA: I think I like the third one the best

Edited by Lollipup

at the 70mm end, also it was cropped.

f/5

1/200

iso 100

I like this next one, seems to be in focus, but a much higher shutter speed at

1/1600

f 3.5

iso 320

the lens was at 34mm in this shot.

258630e7.jpg

Thanks Lolli, I liked that one too, again a faster shutter speed than the first one at 1/1250 and its not as busy in the back ground. ISO 100 and f/4 and the 70mm end of the lens. I cropped it a bit too, the very next photo was this, he looks like he is on a mission! :laugh:

cdb12a90.jpg

Yep, 1/200th is way too slow for action.

Actually looking at it now compared to the others its a wonder he was in focus at all. :laugh:

I went back and checked the exif, and it was definaltey 1/200 and looking at the pictures each side of this one they are only good for the scrap heap so it must have been a fluke! :laugh:

bump up your ISO to 1600 in those conditions, and aim for a shutter speed of 4000 plus

Why would you bump up the ISO so high? Wouldn't that cause graininess? Genuine question, I'm a beginner.

for action shots in those conditions you need a fast shuter speed = high ISO

on the 7D ISO 1600 is more than fine if you expose correctly

Edited by anniek

bump up your ISO to 1600 in those conditions, and aim for a shutter speed of 4000 plus

Why would you bump up the ISO so high? Wouldn't that cause graininess? Genuine question, I'm a beginner.

for action shots in those conditions you need a fast shuter speed = high ISO

on the 7D ISO 1600 is more than fine if you expose correctly

Okay, I have a Nikon D7000 which should be close. So I will keep that in mind, thanks. I probably have read it somewhere before and it hasn't sunk in yet haha

ETA because I wrote Nikon 7D instead of D7000 whoops!

Edited by Lollipup

Thanks Annie, I wasn't sure about putting it up much higher than 400 as the sky was so white and whishy washy especially where they were jumping, so I thought it might completely blow it out and look funny, next time I go I will experiment a lot more.

Jo I think your right, I just wanna get the look I want then I can aim for composition!

Thanks Annie, I wasn't sure about putting it up much higher than 400 as the sky was so white and whishy washy especially where they were jumping, so I thought it might completely blow it out and look funny, next time I go I will experiment a lot more.

Jo I think your right, I just wanna get the look I want then I can aim for composition!

ISO 400 is pretty much my 'standard" - I very rarely go any lower (number) than that.

Mostly shoot outdoors anything from 400 to 3200 - and indoors 1600 - 6400

But I do have trouble holding the camera steady, which is why I need a fast shutter speed - even for portraits..lol

Thanks again for the advice, Snook so basically your saying if the iso is higher then the shutter speed will be faster yea? So If I stay in Aperture priority and play with the iso then the shutter speed should adjust accordingly.

I'm assuming anniek's suggestion for a shutter speed of 1/4000 or higher is a typo and she means 1/400

No,not a typo..lol

One of the main reasons I upgraded from the 400D - which had a max of 4,000 was to get a max of 8,000. I usually shoot as close to 8,000 as I can for action - greyhounds run bloody fast you know!

Ok got it!

You should see my white girl run, she is lightning fast! She is defintley not your average pet dog. :laugh: Think she might have been a whippet in a former life. :rofl: