E-collars, Prongs, Etc

Guest Panzer Attack!

It's about the fallout that occurs when it's used incorrectly AND the probability of the equipment being used incorrectly.

Exactly. Even used competently things can go wrong, and fall-out isn't always obvious (the cause of a problem may not be correctly attributed). We need to balance those risks against the dog's welfare. I look at it a bit like medication. I can weigh the risk of side-effects up against the risk of not taking the drug. I can weigh the risk of something going wrong against the risks of not solving the problem. Fortunately I have a well developed tool-box of +R solutions that mean I rarely have to worry about adding risk.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's about the fallout that occurs when it's used incorrectly AND the probability of the equipment being used incorrectly.

Good point. This is why I don't generally use prongs or e-collars on client's dogs. I know that for one thing I am not experienced enough with them but the main issue is handing over such a tool to the client and then leaving it in their hands. The only tool I sell regularly to clients that they can give corrections with is a martingale collar. They still need to be shown how to use it correctly but fallout is less than with an incorrectly used prong or e-collar. When I give them the option, most clients will just choose a front attach harness anyway as a quick fix solution rather than spending training time. I wouldn't want them to approach the prong or e-collar with the same attitude.