Soft Food Only

Guest Tess32

Guest Tess32

So I have a dog that requires soft food only, not even dry.

I'm wondering if anyone has an ideas beyond pasta, veg, boiled chicken etc.

Guest Tess32

Apparently chicken carcass minced isn't soft enough as there are some little bones in it. He's a large dog (has weighed around 30kg) so bit worried about the cost!

Is the soft food temp. or permanent?

because of gut problems?throat problems, or mouth problems? is it part of other treatment ...

if it's a temporary thing, you can get away with more stuff like yoghurt, plain mince, scambled egg etc ....whereas if it's permanent .. there needs to be a better balance of nutrients...

and obviously, if dog is having digestive issues... some foods are best left alone :)

Guest Tess32

Not sure how long, but they said possibly a few months so long termish. He swallowed a turkey wing whole, which lodged about his heart. He's had it removed now but it's very painful for him to eat and they said it could remain this painful for quite a while.

Ouch ! :(

Well, any RAW mince, (raw meat, esp. mince is much softer and easier to swallow.. trust me .. I am a big 'steak tartare fan )

with all the other goodies , such as small quantities juiced/pureed veg , eggs, yoghurt, and some nice pourable porridge with a bit of butter to help keep him warm and full :)

Did they suggest a feeding schedule?

I would be inclined to maybe do at least 4 small meals a day ... so there is less pressure on the area , and so the oesophagus doesn't have to stretch much....or for very long .

hope he gets comfortable very soon :)

I would be doing a stew of varying meats & feeding on a stand to make eating easier .

Chicken mince with veges or any other meat ,you could vary cooked /raw

scrambled eggs

You could do a porridge for breakkie & as someone else said break the meals up.

Many options but no it won't be cheap but these things happen

What about the kind of pink slushies that puppies get started on?

I used mince and rice cereal inititally and then went to mince, porridge made with goats milk (could just use lactose free milk or even water) yoghurt and egg. You could also do veggie pulp like for barf patties and give him most of the veggie juice with just a bit of pulp stirred through with the mince and other stuff.

Royal canin starter mousse? I havent used it but going by it's name I would imagine it is slush. Or soak his usual kibble in hot water and then blend or mash it.

Poor boy, fingers crossed he recovers quickly.

Guest lavendergirl

You can get good quality canned food if you stick to the premium brands. The new "Wellness" range - available at Petbarn - have good quality canned varieties very soft. Natures Gift is OK also. At least you would know that he is getting the proper balance of nutrients.

Guest Tess32

The vet gave us two cans of this hills brand gastro can food, what is that like? Never seen it before. He won't eat soft dry food for some reason, even though he'll eat everything else that even resembles food.

Ta, I might try natures gift for a while. It's meant to be three times a day.

He's been in ICU for a few days and still has pneumonia from aspirating food into his lungs as well so he's a bit sorry and sore.

What if you could put his food through a food processor along with some home-made chicken, beef or fish stock so that it is more like a soup. I have been adding a bit of warm liquid home made stock to my guys kibble at night lately because I don't think they drink enough water for my liking, but in their case it is just added at the last minute cause I don't want to soften their kibble.

I have a lurcher who cant est hard food.

I make his meals a feed ahead e.g i make dinner in the morning and breakfast at night for maximum softness.

As mentioned Puppy slushie with kibble soaking then blender and warmed to serve. Bon appetite!!

Raw or scrambled egg

Yoghurt

cottage cheese

Goats milk

Beef mince or any other ground meat

Pureed and mashed veggies (if short of time use the baby food veggies in the screw top sachets).

Farex baby cereal if you really must do cereal (IMO not necessary)

Beef or chicken stock with warm water to help make it more appetising (and he may like it better at room temp or slightly warmed)

Add fish oil (squeezed out from the capsules or in oil form) and perhaps Vit C powder.

Mashed fish such as salmon or mackerel or sardines.