8 Yrs Old Boy - Nose Bitten Off By Dog

Guest crickets

Guest Arcane

ouch!

Does anyone have any other information/links on this dog attack?

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-australia/dog-bites-nose-off-eight-year-old-boy-at-port-lincoln/story-e6frea83-1226433857371

AN eight-year-old boy is recovering in an Adelaide hospital after a dog bit his nose off in an attack in Port Lincoln.

The boy also suffered injuries to his eye in the vicious attack.

The Royal Flying Doctor Service airlifted him to Adelaide, where he was taken to the Women's and Children's Hospital, at 7.35pm on Sunday.

Port Lincoln Council's dog control officer is investigating the incident, but has not yet identified the dog involved.

It is not yet known what the breed of dog was or if it was known to the boy.

An SA Health spokeswoman said the boy's family had requested no details be released about his condition.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Arcane

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-australia/dog-bites-nose-off-eight-year-old-boy-at-port-lincoln/story-e6frea83-1226433857371

The boy was bitten on the face, severing his nose, when he looked over the fence of a property between 4.30pm and 5.30pm Sunday.

Port Lincoln Council registrar of dogs Bob Milic said the owners of the Australian bulldog had agreed for it to be euthanased.

"Council's investigations have located the owners of the dog, who initially were unaware of the incident as they were not home at the time," he said.

"They both became upset and distressed when told of the incident knowing their dog was involved.

"After due consideration the owners of the dog, on their volition, have had the dog euthanased."

The boy was taken to the Port Lincoln Hospital after the attack and later flown to Adelaide by the Royal Flying Doctor Service and transferred to the Women's and Children's Hospital.

Mr Milic said the injured boy's parents did not blame the dog and do not want to pursue a complaint or lay charges against the dog owners.

The boy also suffered injuries to his eye in the vicious attack.

It is not yet known if the dog was known to the boy.

An SA Health spokeswoman said the boy's family had requested no details be released about his condition.

The attack comes as governments around the nation seek to reduce the number of disastrous dog attacks.

:( So the dog was on it's own property and now it has to die. What a sh*t situation.

I'd like to know how high the fence was. If your dog is going to bite off a part of someone's face if they look over the fence into your yard then you need to have a very high fence with no gaps.

:( So the dog was on it's own property and now it has to die. What a sh*t situation.

I'd like to know how high the fence was. If your dog is going to bite off a part of someone's face if they look over the fence into your yard then you need to have a very high fence with no gaps.

True. It makes you wonder. I also wonder if he was with his parents or a supervising adult at the time.

Aussie 3 If my dog bit a kid and took his nose off it would be euthanased. Not only is there the chance that the dog might re-offend, but also what about the neighbours. How would they feel living near this dog? And also the more distant neighbours. The dog has shown itself to be HA. For this dog to be given its wings is the kind thing to do. IMO

Edited by padraic

True. It makes you wonder. I also wonder if he was with his parents or a supervising adult at the time.

The boy was 8. Eight year olds often walk to school or go to the park to play with a ball or their friends by themselves. Some even do errands for their parents.

The dog might not be HA though, it might be territorial - there is a big difference between the two. The kid might have teased the dog and barked at it. We'll never know, and unfortunately finding out what really happened so things can be prevented in the future never seems to be a priority.

The dog might not be HA though, it might be territorial - there is a big difference between the two. The kid might have teased the dog and barked at it. We'll never know, and unfortunately finding out what really happened so things can be prevented in the future never seems to be a priority.

Yes, exactly.

The boy was 8. Eight year olds often walk to school or go to the park to play with a ball or their friends by themselves. Some even do errands for their parents.

I know, I was just saying it would be interesting to know.

The difference eludes me. In my book a dog that bites an 8 year old boy is HA whatever the reason. Territorial dogs bark and threaten. They don't necessarily carry through with it.

The answer is probably with education. Children need to be taught how to treat dogs. Even when they have dogs of their own often this doesn't happen because the parents don't even know. How many times have children, even with their parents, bowled up to you when you are with your dogs and reached out to pat your dogs without asking. :mad

Whilest it is very unfortunate what has happened to the little boy I would not put one of my dogs down due to this incident, who knows if the child had been teasing the dog or not but the child should not have had any part of himself over somebody elses fence.

Animals should be safe in their own property without risk of being pts....

The difference eludes me. In my book a dog that bites an 8 year old boy is HA whatever the reason. Territorial dogs bark and threaten. They don't necessarily carry through with it.

The answer is probably with education. Children need to be taught how to treat dogs. Even when they have dogs of their own often this doesn't happen because the parents don't even know. How many times have children, even with their parents, bowled up to you when you are with your dogs and reached out to pat your dogs without asking. :mad

Human aggressive means aggressive towards humans. Territorial dogs protect their territory - often against dogs, other animals or humans. If someone broke into your house and your dog defended it, would you say the dog was human aggressive?

That is the difference.

I feel terribly sorry for the boy, but I wonder when did society expect that dogs should allow anything to happen to them (including being teased and hurt, have strangers rush up to them, bark in their faces etc) and they should just sit there and take it?

Whilest it is very unfortunate what has happened to the little boy I would not put one of my dogs down due to this incident, who knows if the child had been teasing the dog or not but the child should not have had any part of himself over somebody elses fence.

Animals should be safe in their own property without risk of being pts....

Edited by padraic

Human aggressive means aggressive towards humans. Territorial dogs protect their territory - often against dogs, other animals or humans. If someone broke into your house and your dog defended it, would you say the dog was human aggressive?

That is the difference.

I feel terribly sorry for the boy, but I wonder when did society expect that dogs should allow anything to happen to them (including being teased and hurt, have strangers rush up to them, bark in their faces etc) and they should just sit there and take it?

It would depend on how my dog defended my property. I would expect my dog to make a lot of noise, but I am not sure I would want them to actually bite someone.

I'd prefer mine would bark too, but I wouldn't kill them for biting an intruder! Sorry, but you seem to think that a dog should take anything. Where do you draw the line? If I kick your dog, can it bite me?

The dog owners did the responsible thing in this situation, a sad situation, but for a dog to do that damage is serious.

I love how people always blame the kids, it's never the dog...it would be lovely to live in a black and white world, however we don't, there are always "Shades of Grey"