My New Camera Arrived Today!

Lollipup

Well done! I agree about the ear tips. The colours (and your processing) are just lovely on that camera.

Thank you. Must be a brilliant camera because its not me! I'm so happy with it, can't wait to take some horse shots later on

LOL the lady that owns the malamutes and one of the huskys saw the photos and is now off to buy a "camera like mine" and asking me for advice! :laugh: I think she just wants to get the same as me to get the same style photos

Your probably just getting the feel for the 50mm, (did you use 50mm for this shot?) after a while you will get to know how far you need to be away from the subject. You can always be a bit further away and crop your shot to your liking.

Your probably just getting the feel for the 50mm, (did you use 50mm for this shot?) after a while you will get to know how far you need to be away from the subject. You can always be a bit further away and crop your shot to your liking.

Yes I used the 50mm here. I also got the rest of my purchase today - the 18-55mm. So I tried them all out at the horse paddock. When I changed them around I wanted to do more on the 50mm but accidently put the 18-55 on instead so the shots were nothing like I wanted :laugh: then it was dark

I only use uv filters, They are basic and keep your lens protected, imagine spending over $1000 on a lens to get one little scratch on it and its ruined. Especially if you are working around animals. If you get a scratch on a filter you just take it off and pop another one on.

I only use uv filters, They are basic and keep your lens protected, imagine spending over $1000 on a lens to get one little scratch on it and its ruined. Especially if you are working around animals. If you get a scratch on a filter you just take it off and pop another one on.

Just looking on camera pro and looks like they range from around $70 to $170, does that sound right?

Edited by Lollipup

They can be pretty pricey, I have used ones from ebay and they have been fine and a lot cheaper. You have to make sure you get the right size for the lens too, so your 50mm would need a 52mm filter.

They can be pretty pricey, I have used ones from ebay and they have been fine and a lot cheaper. You have to make sure you get the right size for the lens too, so your 50mm would need a 52mm filter.

Oh wow yes way cheaper on ebay, thanks. So just one that says UV filter, 52mm? Some of them say B&W, does that matter or does that mean it will make it black and white?

Sorry for the newbie questions

Just looking on camera pro and looks like they range from around $70 to $170, does that sound right?

Some of the cheaper filters can reduce the quality of your images. I purchased Hoya HD filters for my lenses which are in the upper end of the price range but I also considered what I paid for the lenses and so didn't want to risk a cheaper filter impacting the image quality. That being said, I didn't put any filters on my old lenses in the three years that I had them and I'm sure some of the cheaper filters are perfectly fine. I'd still stick with a well known brand like Hoya though (there are others but I can't think of them off the top of my head).

I found some fairly cheap Hoya ones and ordered one, and another cheap one that was only $1.15. I knew the name Hoya because my day job is at an eye clinic and they are one of the brands of lens implants used for cataract surgery :)

Where do I find the size that I need for filters for the other two lenses I have? I looked on the side and wasn't sure what number to go by but the 18-55 said 52 and the 55-300 said 58, is that it?

I would think that sounds right, 52 for the small one and 58 for the zoom. You can find the specs for all lenses on canons website, it has filter sizes for the lenses too.

I like the horse shot but find the trees a little distracting.