Advice On Raw Diet - Urate Stones In Bladder

Thanks in advance for your help.

I have a friend with a Pug who has just been diagnosed with Urate tones in the bladder (numpty me thought that only Dalmations got these :o ). This Pug has just had a liver test and I will have a copy of the results when they come through.

I am thoroughly confused after doing a search on DOL for similar questions. When trying to alter a raw diet to cope with these stones, it seems that we will need to await the liver tests (including U/S to check for shunts etc) before deciding on diet approach - is this correct?

Dr Dodds Liver Diet has been recommended but some recommend alterations depending on complex factors that my brain is too fuzzy to grasp at the moment.

We want to provide excellent nutrition but (I am assuming) keep the purine intake low ( which purines are the baddest?) and try to keep an output urine Ph of neutral to slightly alkaline? Have I got that straight or might that change defending on the liver test results?

We are accustomed to struvite stones and occassionally oxalate stones but urate stones in Pugs is new to me. Porto-systemic shunts are not unknown in the breed though, could these lead to urate stones?

Does anyone have an actual recipe or diet components that worked well for their non- Dalmation in a similar situation? Will flooding each meal assist?

Sorry, that is a LOT of questions.

Bladder problems was one of the things that sent me to the vets with amber were I ended up with a liver shunt diagnosis.

Yes lots of dogs with shunts have stone problems.

Should the pug have a shunt (hopefully not) the diet will be different from a low purine diet. Amber is on a low purine,vegetarian diet. Liver shunt dogs don't do well on animal proteins.

I was advised not to use a home cooked diet with Amber as she was displaying neurological symptoms. She is on Hills L/D and doing well on it. I was advised this by a liver support group btw not just the vets.

So you really need to wait for the liver tests before considering diet.

While the condition is prevalent in Dalmatians, it is certainly not the only breed that can be affected. Pugs seem tyo be another breed where it can be an issue and I have often seen it listed in the past in literature on the condition.

The info used for Dalmatians is still useful for other breeds (it is just easier to find more info used by Dally folk as they have had more 'practice' shall we say).

Some links that may be of help:

http://preymodelraw....es-raw-feeding/

http://hattrickdalma...eFormation.html

Having the liver tests will certainly help give a fuller picture.

Edited by espinay2

I had a Border Collie with high urea levels once, nothing wrong with her liver, but she had gout in her feet. She lived on fish (not sardines), vegatables and home made dog biscuits for a whole year and recovered, with it never re-occuring. She mostly had canned salmon and tuna and did very well on it. He coat was amazing but I was so sick of the smell of fish by the time we weaned her off it.

My 14 old dally has just had surgery for the second time for urate stone blockage.

I did lots of research last time ( 8 years ago), low purine ( fish is very high), i have a list of the high foods.

He was on Advance chicken and rice, and wings and necks.

We are awaiting results, Hills test for free ( as they want you to buy their food), but we are pretty sure they are urate again.

my vet ,( different one to last time), has suggested addding bicarb to his food to level out the ph.

Thanks, guys.

Friend has just moved from QLD to WA so is waiting for her car to arrive, then she will suss out the local vets there, get records transferred across and get the liver function test done and, if warranted, an x-ray or ultrasound for shunts.

Meanwhile she is feeding raw per advice given directly to her by Dalmation person, I know it's not exactly the same, but shouldn't do too much damage in the week or so before she can organise the tests.