Correct Diet For Skinny Dogs Just Out Of Quarantine

Just got two imports out of quarantine and they are sooooo skinny. They were on Advance dry in quarantine.

I will be feeding them 3 meal per day but I want to be careful I don't make them sick by feeding rich (fatty) food too quickly.

Normally I feed BARF but initially I fed them boiled chicken mixed with Hills Sensitive Stomach yesterday evening....this morning I fed Nutrience Puppy mixed with doggy porridge (no lactose). I need a lunch time feed idea???

I thought about feeding chicken necks midday but wondered if it would be too taxing on their digestive systems this soon as I was planning to feed them BARF of an evening......not sure if I should wait a while to feed BARF or not???

What do you all think?? Any ideas would be appreciated.

They may be skinny but I would have continues with the Advance just for a little while and then start adding other things gradually over the next week or so.

If you start changing their diet drastically you might have 2 new dogs with diarrhoea so be careful with what you add for now.

Congratulations on your new additions ~~~ What breed and how old are they and of course pics please.

Yes, it must be very stressful in there so I am giving them lots of quiet times at the moment.

They are eating like horses and will hoover up what I put down in about 1minute....I hate to see dogs like that!!

IF it were me, what I might do is make sure I established a good routine, reduced stress as much as possible, gave Vit C, and I would likely start on a raw diet right from the beginning, though may keep it simple at first. I would not 'over compensate' with the diet, but just build the weight back on slowly with good nutrition (i.e. slowly introduce what you want to feed the dog 'normally'). Particularly if the dog is still youngish and there is a possibility of growth spurts if you give them too much too quickly.JMHO

Edited by espinay2

I have decided to feed them 3 times a day for a few days and then go onto twice daily feeds.

I fluctuate Espinay2 between just giving the boiled chicken and Hill Science Sensitive Stomach or feeding the BARF of an evening. What I don't want is to overdo the fatty food and BARF does have a fairly high fat content because of the bones/marrow it contains.

Last thing I want is a skinny dog with diahorrea.

Perhaps stick to lower fat meats at first. chicken necks/turkey necks etc or frames with the fat pads removed?

Fingers crossed the transition is smooth and they are all settled and back to health soon :)

I know what some can look like coming out of quarantine and yes, it can be worrying when they are skinny like that.