Acreage Fencing Ideas

Winterpaws

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Ari and Jules.

Whilst I am here, can I ask about using sump oil to paint fences? The previous owner is going to leave us heaps of it to paint the fences but I've got noooooo idea what to do with it. :laugh:

Thanks Ari and Jules.

Whilst I am here, can I ask about using sump oil to paint fences? The previous owner is going to leave us heaps of it to paint the fences but I've got noooooo idea what to do with it. :laugh:

It prevents termites.

Put one end in the oil an allow it to seep through to the other end.

They do nice fencing!! Are you using those guys Nic?

I love those gates also!

I'll try pull down some pics of the new place. The fencing is very ummm rustic? It will look good when we tidy it up and repaint etc. I'd link you to the for sale thingo but it has the address all over it ....

Yes, I love their fencing and he is such a great guy, very down to earth and brilliant in what he does. We have heard so many fantastic things from very happy customers.

I cant seem to see the pics of your new place, though it sounds like heaven :heart: I love rustic! it is so rewarding to do little things and then enjoy :) Our place has certainly kept me out of mischief :laugh:

If I could go back 14 years I would have taken before and after photos, I wish I had thought of that.

If you get a chance get some photos, you will be blown away with the difference you will make :)

Thanks Ari and Jules.

I have never used it though lots of people do. You can paint the entire fence with it, it protects the timber and also oils it :laugh:

Thanks Ari and Jules.

I have never used it though lots of people do. You can paint the entire fence with it, it protects the timber and also oils it :laugh:

Yes, but you have to watch the horses don't lean on it as it takes a while to soak in.

My little paly shetland was covered in it after ahe scratched herself on the roundyard rails. She was so filthy and greasy. It took ages to get off as it was practically water resistant. :laugh:

Yes, but you have to watch the horses don't lean on it as it takes a while to soak in.

My little paly shetland was covered in it after ahe scratched herself on the roundyard rails. She was so filthy and greasy. It took ages to get off as it was practically water resistant. :laugh:

yep - ditto with the back of your pants if you like to perch on the fence and survey your dominion .....

Love all these pics ... that giddiup stuff is beautiful ..

Congrats on the new place WP.

One of the wire places has just sent us some more info and pics of their products installed. One of the pics showed exactly what I was hoping to achieve.

Hopefully it will attach OK so you can tell me what you think

post-3016-0-60888300-1342500575_thumb.jpg

:laugh: at sump oil on ponies and pants.

Yes Winterpaws could end up with this.

post-15010-0-02719100-1342510463_thumb.jpg

Instead of this

post-15010-0-22480500-1342510482_thumb.jpg

Winterpaws i love that fence. It looks nice and sturdy and at the end of the day i always think if it's worth doing it's worth doing right the first time. Even though at the time it is expensive it is worth the peace of mind.

1342505727[/url]' post=' :)

I used to soak my horses tails in sump oil before I went back to boarding school each term. It would keep their tails knot free while i was gone and then I would soak the tails in sunlight soap at the start of the hols to get it out. Old bushies trick!

I am also getting quotes for fencing for our 5 acres at present.

Is is expensive. The cost go up considerably once you have timber rails as well. Timber is expensive and there can often be a wait for it too. Thats what the fencing guys told us.

I have opted for the rabbit wire that is about 4 ft high then 1-2 plain strands on top. This helps to be able tension the fence as well.

I didn't want the high ones as at least the 4ft one, you could probably climb between the mesh and wire if in a hurry. If the fences are too high, then you have to ALWAYS go to the gate to be sure to place your gates in a convenient place for both pedestrian and car access. I am already thinking I am going to get annoyed at the new fencing because I am currently used to walking out and getting through wherever I want. I can hop between paddocks, across to neighbours etc with no problem. Providing I turn the power off to the current fence. I hate it when I forgot it is on!!!!!

I like the hinged wire (dog fence, pig fence) but I have sheep and horses. That kind of wire is no good for horses as it is a good size for them to put a hoof though then get it stuck. It is also a bit of a problem for sheep if they have horns. They can push their heads through but the horns stop them getting it out again. I have a bit of it around my roundyard to and I have come home many times to find a sheep has been stuck in the fence all day. Dogs can also put heads through and some smaller ones will wiggle through.

We got a quote from "IRONBARK FENCING" very nice guy and easy to deal with and also another guy.

Yes Winterpaws could end up with this.

post-15010-0-02719100-1342510463_thumb.jpg

Instead of this

post-15010-0-22480500-1342510482_thumb.jpg

Winterpaws i love that fence. It looks nice and sturdy and at the end of the day i always think if it's worth doing it's worth doing right the first time. Even though at the time it is expensive it is worth the peace of mind.

:laugh: Little monkey!

1342505727[/url]' post=' :)

I used to soak my horses tails in sump oil before I went back to boarding school each term. It would keep their tails knot free while i was gone and then I would soak the tails in sunlight soap at the start of the hols to get it out. Old bushies trick!

Very clever! Love the old bushies tricks :)

Mummbles is a shocker, his mane and tail tangles in a flash.