Warning: Toxic Mould Poisoning From Food

megan_

I started a thread in off topic (because that is were I post the most) but someone suggested posting a thread here so that more people are aware of the risks.

My mini schnauzer is in hospital after getting into my nephew's school bag where there were some mouldy lunches yesterday.

I must have come home as soon as she'd done it and within 5 mins she was shaking and couldn't walk properly (she was crab-walking and was distressed). I raced her to the vets immediately and she was diagnosed with mould poisoning. It can be fatal but she is going to be okay because she got treated so quickly.

If your dog gets into mouldy food and starts shaking or walking funny, please get them to the vet immediately. Don't waste time posting on DOL about whether you should take them into a vet or not, or wait and see if they calm down!

Even if they don't show symptoms, it is a good idea to get them to the vet to either throw up or have a charcoal meal (the charcoal absorbs the nasties). I was very lucky to come home when I did. I'm not the first DOLer that this has happened to either.

Note that it also impacts humans. How my nephew is fine I'll never know.

Guest english.ivy

I never knew this was an issue, thank you for posting.

I need to check your thread in Off Topic ..