Sluggish & Stiff(ish) Gait - Please Help

Wobbly

I wonder if you could get her to a greyhound vet. They might refuse to see her though, I'm not sure, the other thing you could try is a chiropractor, but one who is an expert in greyhounds. If there's something out on her somewhere, they'll probably find it. Good luck, it's awful when you know for sure something is wrong, you just dont know where.

I wonder if you could get her to a greyhound vet. They might refuse to see her though, I'm not sure, the other thing you could try is a chiropractor, but one who is an expert in greyhounds. If there's something out on her somewhere, they'll probably find it. Good luck, it's awful when you know for sure something is wrong, you just dont know where.

I thought she was the staffy upside down on the couch. :confused:

I can really envisage a piched nerve happening in the dog in the photo.

I thought she was the staffy upside down on the couch. :confused:

I can really envisage a piched nerve happening in the dog in the photo.

Yes, I think it is the staffy but greyhound vets (in my opinion) are much better at diagnosing soft tissue injuries and/or even chiropractic type problems. Ordinary vets dont seem to have the touch, or if it doesn't show up on an xray they're often at a loss.

Where about are you? If you're in Vic, then Ray Ferguson at Monash is the best vet to see in this case. He owns and races greyhounds too and understands dog physiology much better than your average vet.

He transformed my boy who had an injury that our normal vet (who is a good vet by all accounts) didn't even find. He does trigger point therapy and bends your dog like a pretzel. There are also physiotherapists and Bowen Therapists (very, very gentle) who deal with dogs too. I've taken my boy to a Bowen therapist here in Melbourne and he just melted on the table in a total state of relaxation.

I agree with Kirislin re: seeing someone who deals with greyhounds. The theory is that greyhound folk won't trust their valuable dogs to just anyone so they seek out the best-of-the best.

ETA: Just realised you are on the Central Coast so my post isn't much help! Hopefully the greyhound people can point you to a local.

Edited by megan_

Where about are you? If you're in Vic, then Ray Ferguson at Monash is the best vet to see in this case. He owns and races greyhounds too and understands dog physiology much better than your average vet.

He transformed my boy who had an injury that our normal vet (who is a good vet by all accounts) didn't even find. He does trigger point therapy and bends your dog like a pretzel. There are also physiotherapists and Bowen Therapists (very, very gentle) who deal with dogs too. I've taken my boy to a Bowen therapist here in Melbourne and he just melted on the table in a total state of relaxation.

I agree with Kirislin re: seeing someone who deals with greyhounds. The theory is that greyhound folk won't trust their valuable dogs to just anyone so they seek out the best-of-the best.

Definitley agree as well. Both vets and chiros that deal with Greyhounds all the time, are the only ones worth seeing to diagnose odd injuries. Our chiro in Sydney does Greyhounds, horses and performance/show dogs. They deal with injured dogs every day so can pick all sorts of things a normal vet can't.

Haha yeah she's the Staffy looking dog in my sig! Actually more AM Staff than staffy, apparently the odd yogi contortions, I believe can be something of a breed idiosyncrisy. XD Definitely nothing to do with this injury though, which I think she sustained during madcap exercise.

Wow, I do love DoL I would never have thought of seeing a greyhound vet, but of course it makes sense that they'd be the unparalleled experts in soft tissue injury in dogs. For the moment she seems OK, she had her little half hour walk today and there's no sign of stiffness or limping. Fingers crossed all stays well.

In the event that her symptoms reemerge, I would really appreciate the recommendation of a good greyhound vet Stan'sMum (Jarrah sends ankle licks, knee licks and ofc back licks) or your chiro sounds great too DancinBCs. I am in the Central Coast, but if this flares up again I'm willing to drive to Sydney for the best advice and treatment. If you guys would be so good as to let me know the contact details of those vets (either in the thread or via Private Message) I would be very grateful. Hopefully things will stay good & I won't need to use them, but if not, having the numbers to ring order to make appointment ASAP would be wonderful.

Thanks guys

:laugh: Thanks for the back licks Jarrah. I know there is a greyhound vet at Belmont, I was there a couple of weeks ago. I'll make some calls and get back to you asap. Give "the love sponge" a cuddle for me :)