I Had My First Today

biker girl

Today I caught up with a girlfriend to do some dog training at the local dog park.

My sheppie boy is going through the grumbles atm with unknown dogs.

My friend gave me the heads up that an unleashed swf was coming up quickly behind me, so I called out..... nicely...... that my dog isn't friendly and her answer was.........

"Oh but my dog only wants to say HI!!" doh.gif

So I called out "Mine doesn't..........!!"

At least she listened and popped her swf back on it's leash and walked the other way clap.gif

I was in a situation recently where it was raining and I was under a shop awning waiting for it to stop with my maremma. A lady was standing about 2 to 3 meters away with a SpanielX of some kind. It was wagging its tail and trying to meet my boy who was doing the same. She looked worried to which I replied "It's ok, he's friendly" She snatched her dog away that had been happily wagging its tail and sniffing at a safe distance and said "I'm not taking that chance!" Her dog then started barking and snarling like a banshee...My boy looked at me so confusedly. I was like...OK. It was very strange. Congrats on having a friendly and responsible person get their dog.

I was in a situation recently where it was raining and I was under a shop awning waiting for it to stop with my maremma. A lady was standing about 2 to 3 meters away with a SpanielX of some kind. It was wagging its tail and trying to meet my boy who was doing the same. She looked worried to which I replied "It's ok, he's friendly" She snatched her dog away that had been happily wagging its tail and sniffing at a safe distance and said "I'm not taking that chance!" Her dog then started barking and snarling like a banshee...My boy looked at me so confusedly. I was like...OK. It was very strange. Congrats on having a friendly and responsible person get their dog.

Welcome to my world :( I have greyhounds,muzzled by law and have posted here many times the horrible things people say about my greys.I try to educate when they will listen but the hysterical ones I just walk away from these days.

ETA At least they listened biker girl.

Edited by stans mum

I don't have aggressive dogs. I do have an entire male who thinks he is god and all should bow before him, hence he isn't allowed to greet dogs as he would like. (poor mean me makes him sit and wait until I have the situation under my control, nasty, I know) However I'm now copping it with the other dog. Poor old guy is going blind so he now hates dogs running up to him. He is fine if he is introduced slowly enough that he can see them but the offleader that rushes up into his face scares him and he will growl. Sadly I have only met 1 person with an off lead dog who has called their dog back instantly when I ask. Most spout the " but he/she just wants to say hello!!!!" Great, and my dog wount mind, but on his blurry terms... :(

For the first 10 months of having Wilbur i've managed to luckily avoid inappropriate off-lead encounters with other dogs...then in the last week we've had three. The first was with at dog-friendly accommodation where another guests little dog came aggressively at us from a considerable distance; i took a swipe with my boot ~ it ran off luckily. The next day the dog ran over to us again and lunged at Wilbur. Then last night in a street away from home on our way back from a visit to the part two men were walking their two dogs off-lead. They called out that their dogs were friendly..and i asked if they were off lead and they said yes. then before i could tell them to put the dogs on leads and control the situation one of their dogs ran right up to us.

Tomorrow i'm buying a riding crop...any dog that comes near me is gonna get a whack.

I don't care if off-lead dogs are friendly...that approach fails to account for my or my dog's needs...i have NO choice in the encounter. No body asked me if i want my dog to interact with their dogs. It's at best rude and selfish.

In off-lead areas like dog parks I don't mind other dogs approaching Elsie - I don't take her to the dog park to keep her away from other dogs, and most people at dog parks don't have a lot of control over their dogs, so I go in with the expectation that other dogs will go up to Elsie.

At regular parks I always ask if off-lead dogs are friendly and if Elsie can say hello before I let her go over.

I don't let Elsie greet dogs that are on-lead, and don't really let her greet on lead unless I know the dog well.

My boy hates other dogs rushing up to him and will always react. I walk him on a retractable lead, and when I see other people approaching with a dog, I retract the lead and make him walk to heel. He's fine with this and will ignore the other dog, so long as it stays away from him.

The other week when I was walking him, a young fellow was approaching with his offlead, very bouncy, uncontrolled labrador. He saw me bringing my dog to heel and shouted out, "Oh it's okay, my dogs friendly" I responded "Mine isn't, please keep your dog away" He half heartedly called his dog which completely ignored him, rushed up to my dog and started bouncing all over him. My dog reacted of course, growling at the dog which still didn't get the message, so my dog snapped at him. The guy then came rushing up and grabbed his dog, making noises about how terrible my dog was. When I pointed out that we were in an onlead area, my dog was on lead and under control and it was entirely his fault for failing to control his dog, he started to back track very quickly.

My dog plays quite happily with other dogs when proper introductions have been done, he just hates rude approaches.

I wish my dogs looked scarier so people would give them space! Had an incident last week where a young guy was dragged across the path by his 'friendly' dog and basically trapped me on the fence. I told him to keep walking and got the 'he is friendly' response. I had to say that mine weren't. I didn't really like his dog's body language and it was big enough to do damage.

suziwong66

I think you'd be safer to get one of those walking/hiking poles that people take on the kokoda track or whatever - then at least you'd have a lawful excuse for carrying it. And you'd have a much longer reach for blocking or fending off an approaching dog.

suziwong66

I think you'd be safer to get one of those walking/hiking poles that people take on the kokoda track or whatever - then at least you'd have a lawful excuse for carrying it. And you'd have a much longer reach for blocking or fending off an approaching dog.

thanks for the suggestion - there are some good light weight poles about without the spike at the end :thumbsup:

Mixeduppup - just because an off lead dog is friendly (according to its irresponsible owner) doesn't mean that my dog (and entire male) stuck on the end of a lead will react well to the uninvited intrusion or that i am comfortable with another dog approaching me; i don't like strange dogs at all ~ they make me very nervous - We all have the right to walk the streets without being put in unwelcomed situations where we have no control. There is a simple solution to so called friendly off-lead dogs getting a whack from me if they approached - put them on a lead.

I sometimes walk mine at the local park/oval, which is an on lead area, and I find that people are more likely to let their dogs rush up to mine when I'm walking my two smaller dogs. When I'm walking my bigger dogs (they're only medium sized), the same people will call their dogs away and put them on lead. Unfortunately it's my smaller dogs, one in particular, that needs space.

I disagree with the riding crop. It's not the dog's fault that it's off lead, I understand whacking for aggressive behaviour but a friendly dog approaching, that could make it aggressive...

Nope sorry MUP.My greyhounds have skin like tissue paper.A friendly dog rushing up and just having a nip can result in stitches for my dogs.I don't go to offleash areas so if I'm walking along a suburban street and my dogs are rushed at by an unleashed dog friendly or not they will get a swift boot from me.

I disagree with the riding crop. It's not the dog's fault that it's off lead, I understand whacking for aggressive behaviour but a friendly dog approaching, that could make it aggressive...

May not be the dog's fault but why take the risk of it turning into an ugly encounter?

My two boys have been attacked by larger aggressive off lead dogs while out walking and it was only by sheer luck (and a few people helping) that there wasn't more damage done. Too bad they are now a bit wary of larger dogs and one boy despises a certain breed because of it. I wished at the time I was carrying something like a riding crop, maybe my dogs wouldn't have been harmed?

I now carry a stick around as there is no way in hell a dog is getting close enough to mine to do damage, especially seeing as my girl hates dogs rushing up into her space. My job as their owner is too protect them and while I love dogs I love my dogs more and will do anything possible to protect them from damage :)

suziwong66

That's a good idea actually, I've been carrying around a stick.....you know to throw for the dogs ;)

Edited by tollersowned

tonight i bought a pair of Australian telescopic walking/trecking poles on eBay for $26 including postage - there were cheaper versions from Hong Kong and China but the sellers had very dubious feedback. If they're crap, i've only lost $26.

So many of these off leash problem threads, the problems of people being rushed by dogs with the "He/She just wants to say Hi" excuse is epidemic. I have a big strong dog, an entire male and I don't let him off lead to do his own thing, he is friendly and more often than not does just want to play.. But his play could easily damage another person or dog so I don't let him do it.

And 95% of Dogs that Rush up to him and want to play "Dont" ... little dogs seem to hate him with a passion and are often snarling balls of fluff by time they get to him. '

People just seem to forget that it is the Law of 99% of Councils that Pet dogs be ON A LEAD in Public areas unless otherwise signposted. You have just as much right to walk somewhere with your dog on a lead without being accosted as you would expect your child to be able to walk somewhere in peace without forcing them to interact with someone they may not want to.

I really think more councils should be running a more active message to encourage people to do the right thing and walk their dogs on a LEAD. "NO matter your Breed - It belongs on a lead!" Just as K9Pro Steve was saying in his blog in addition to all this, how many dogs are killed/injured by cars etc because their owners thought it was safe for them to be off lead on the footpath?

I really think more councils should be running a more active message to encourage people to do the right thing and walk their dogs on a LEAD. "NO matter your Breed - It belongs on a lead!" Just as K9Pro Steve was saying in his blog in addition to all this, how many dogs are killed/injured by cars etc because their owners thought it was safe for them to be off lead on the footpath?

I agree...our council appears not to be policing off-lead dogs/owners so a campaign is at least something in the way of being more proactive regarding the (what appears to be) growing issue.