Coliotis - I Want To Hear Fro Peps Who Have Had Dogs Hard To Figure Ou

Hi guys,

Well I have had my dog on a meat/bone diet for at least 7 days that the herbalist suggested. What I'm finding is either she hardly poos or tiny poos, or she finally does a half decent one but then it's followed by soft or liquid poos.

Have been trying to add slippery elm but have had difficulty doing that as she's still been on meds and it affects absorption. I was also told a tablespoon and by what came out the back end that's too much.

What I want to know is what worked for people who had a dog who was presenting with coliotis symptoms...bear in mind at the moment we are in remote WA and the vet here charges huge prices so options we would look at in the city are difficult financially here and also what is available. She used to be alright on supercoat sensative being a gluten free product and chicken based. with such meat as turkey mince, chicken, fish etc. Since getting here (DEC)we have had 2 bouts of it and doesn't seem to recovery well either. Dropped alot of weight. Have given drontal after advise of vet and next day tummy symptoms had slipped backward. Not sure if it's that causing what has continued today either. Yesterday she had firm poos in the yard when I got home then just before dark noticed wet ones around the yard. Some today, solid then wet or runs again. I do suspect fat is a huge issue for her as well. She hasn't been on lamb or beef since striking this issue.

Any constructive feed back would be most welcomed. Feel like I'm chasing my tail and not sure what is working at the moment.

Sigh..... :(

Herbalists do come up with some ill informed ideas sometimes!

Bone contains fat ie. the marrow is fat and fat aggravates colitis.

Hills I/D dry dogfood worked for us, then progressed to Hills Sensitive Stomach dry dogfood.

You can cook for the dog but it should be bland food like chicken & rice etc.but you would also have to supplement vitamins & minerals.

The severity of colitis can vary from dog to dog so it is a matter of seeing what work for you.

Yeah, I have had the bad experience with a huge bone with my GSD....never had a dog so good at munching bones and got all the marrow out of one....our first full blown episode. I have been cautious and only given chicken frames and turkey necks to avoid bones with alot of marrow. But something isn't working. Will look again at the hills ingredients for our girl.

I had a dog who was a bad suffered badly.

We found apples helped & for bad attacks tribacterial tablets from the vet .

We also accepted that was part of his life & that the more stress & change in his food the worse it was .

We didn't feed any bones or raw foods .

We stuck to simple food items.

Your choices up there will be limited or very expensive .

I would also go to the chemist & buy a pro biotic to help gut bacteria /

Our dog was feed tuckerime Garlic roll & dry plus apple ,his attacks would last 2/3 days & would hit the blood stage ,

We never had weight issues though .

Worming on an already sensitive tummy could cause issues & not something i would have done unless there was a worm issue.

I would be doing chicken/pumpkin or sweet potato for as long as possible

Yeah we use protein which is a probiotic. I have put her back on rice, human grade turkey mince and roo, rice, pumpkin.

We have excepted this will not go away just really need to find something that works for her and provides some stability. Thankfully she isn't fussy and will eat whatever u give her.

Sorry to hear Koda is still having problems. My 4 year old GSD has had diarrhoea problems for most of his life. Pancreatic insufficiency has been ruled out. He cannot tolerate any raw meat or bones so is fed Artemis dry food. He does sometimes have the odd bout of diarrhoea but nothing like he used to have. When he does have an episode (probably only one every two months at the moment) he gets a capful of Peptosyl mixed in with his food until his poo is back to normal in a day or two.

Edited by Kynan

Hi Kynan,

Sorry to hear you have one as well. The vets didn't think it was EPI for Koda either. She can tolerate raw meat. It seems to be grains and fat firming up as the culprits so far. I had to take her off the raw meat and bone diet from herbalist as it didn't seem to be working. I put her back onto her supercoat sensative kibble, rice/potato and raw meat with slippery elm added. Also adding a little yoghurt too. She seems to be alright so far. I was told by the herbalist to use 1 tbspoon of the slippery elm but I found that was too much so have lessened it and seems to be working ok.

Before we had this issue I tried to move her onto artemis kibble and that's when we started to have these problems....not saying anything wrong with artemis as there were other factors happening at same time but not game enough to go back and try again.

Fingers crossed she will settle again for us.....have been using the drug salzipram (spelling wrong) which is relatively cheap and can be used every other day to maintain these sorts of dogs. Might be helpful for yours.....as it gets processed it also turns into an anti-inflammatory chemical so it helps that way too.

We use Canidae food for our girl with EPI, it's a great wholistic food which is grain free and comes in chicken and salmom, can be a little hard to find, but its a premium food and goes a fair way.

My girl with EPI has no issues with tolerating meat as long as it's not fatty.

Other things we add to keep her healthy are acidophilous, B12 tablets to maintain good gut flora and helps reduce SIBO incidents which go along with EPI. We also use these if any of the other dogs get loose bowel and certainly helps in a day or two