Help With A Photo

tlc

Jo do you have any photos here on DOL, or don't you post here? Or I've been living under a rock and missed them. :laugh:

Thanks for all he help and useful tips!

And thanks everyone for the feedback it's been great!

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've only posted my experimental stuff so far but I should put some of my stuff up to get some fresh eyes. I'm trying to tackle different subjects and shooting styles instead of the usual things I shoot. I'm about to finish processing the next batch of pics for the next comp night at my club, I'll put a few up tomorrow. I'll tidy up my flickr gallery as well so I can just direct people there as well.

Right now I consider myself a good photographer, but I'm working on becoming a great one.

Edited by Reverend Jo

Nice :thumbsup: I've just made a second flickr account so I can keep one clear of experimental crap :laugh: Now have to rename some files before I upload as the names are a bit stupid because I code them. I'll post the link in here tomorrow so you can see some of my stuff, and feel free to CC them too!

There you go TLC, I've uploaded a few of my photos. Some of my best stuff is on slide which I have to have scanned, getrting it all out of storage next week. I've started going through some old shots and processing those but some of it is new. This is the first time I've done mono so be as brutal as you like, I won't be offended.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/81363891@N04/

Yeah, that zebra shot bothers me too, but was good to practise as I had to do a bit of burning as well as toning. I want to enter three in the mono section of the club comp next week and needed a third. I have some awesome shots of the zebra foal playing with another zebra and every bloody one has some softness around the muzzle of the foal :mad I've got a list of shots to try mono on so I'll pull out another one to enter, I'm getting better at letting go of sentimental shots and only entering decent work.

I am hopeless at photographing people, we went out last night to the greyhounds and I had a short lived go at taking a few of one race, of course being so far away I didn't have a hope and the shots were woeful to say the least! :laugh: I am however impressed with the new camera, the pics I took inside mostly with the flash were great and I turned the flash off and snapped a few on manual with some success. ifs funny thought even though I take so many shots of the dogs, its what I enjoy the most, I guess thats silly otherwise I wouldn't take them. :laugh: I find it a bit of a challenge to get them all together and all looking so if that happens I do have a feeling of accomplishment. I might post a few in here from last night and today to see what you guys think!

:laugh: spidey senses!

We were only just talking last night about people not wanting their photos taken, I said we (me and two of the guys love photography) need some people models to practice on!

This was one of the ones I liked as soon as I saw it on the camera.

6a8807a6.jpg

I don't want to crash your thread TLC but I have a very similar issue with not being able to decide on a photo due to the fact I suck at post processing. Does anyone have any recommended resources. Here is my best attempt (It's for camera club with a theme of red):

Original Raw

7464580446_90c5894e72.jpg

Best Edit

7464601214_92e0919e19.jpg

Firstly, can you retake the shot? I'd get down on the ground and try some different angles to make the wheel barrow as dramatic as possible. I'd get up close and maybe put something spilling out, rope, dog something :laugh: It's lacking a good composition and without that the PP won't help you much. If you can't take another shot what have you done so far with PP?

Firstly, can you retake the shot? I'd get down on the ground and try some different angles to make the wheel barrow as dramatic as possible. I'd get up close and maybe put something spilling out, rope, dog something :laugh: It's lacking a good composition and without that the PP won't help you much. If you can't take another shot what have you done so far with PP?

I am definitely able to re-shoot, it's a few weeks until it is due. I was't going to use this for sure and I'm going to be compiling a few to choose from :)

I only have one lens, a nifty fifty so I will try and experiment a bit more with dramatic angles/doing more with the barrow. Might get Toby into the action :laugh:

As far as editing I played around with making the red stand out more and then changed the white balance to cloudy (which it was) then used Apeture's "Auto Enhance"... Which seemed to make the picture a bit brighter and put that hilight on top of the wheel barrow.

Just so you guys also don't think I'm overestimating myself I am preparing for the Novice category of camera club, the club is a good one and gives feedback on all entries, so I am really doing this for feedback/to practice more with my camera, not because I think I am a potential winner or anything!

Ok, we can use this to improve your basic PP skills. Don't be afraid to just set the WB temp yourself, even if it's cloudy sometimes that temp is too high for some shots. Auto features are a last resort so we can go through some basics when you have a few shots to choose from.

If you want, I'll go through my basic workflow so you can get an example of one and adapt yours from there. Don't apologise for anything, if we don't get our stuff out there we can't improve. I put things up online and in comps for feedback as well, knowing they won't win but I might be stuck with some aspect that I need help for.

Crash away, were all learning something!

Did you say you use aperture? I downloaded it and just couldn't get the hang of it. I have been using Light room and more recently having another crack at PS.