Question For Greyhound Pet Owners

iggy mum

I'm in Victoria and have been told differing stories on how to obtain the green collar. I know GAP will do the assessment but how do I organise it without handing the dog over to the GAP program (which is one of the things I was told I would need to do). I'm interested in knowing how to initiate it with GAP so there are no misunderstandings in relation to the dog being given over or just assessed. That's why I'm asking greyhound pet owners, surely there must be some here that have had an assessment done on their own dogs, how they got it.

About 8 years ago a friend of mine had a race bred greyhound that was given to her as a puppy, considered by the breeder to be unsuitable conformationally to race. She just arranged with GAP to take it to Seymour for the day and it was assessed there and then. She had to pay a fee, I think at the time it was about $40 and she got the green collar, I think it was posted to her later. I'm certain fees have gone up, but I hope in your greyhounds case he will be assessed in the same manner.

About 8 years ago a friend of mine had a race bred greyhound that was given to her as a puppy, considered by the breeder to be unsuitable conformationally to race. She just arranged with GAP to take it to Seymour for the day and it was assessed there and then. She had to pay a fee, I think at the time it was about $40 and she got the green collar, I think it was posted to her later. I'm certain fees have gone up, but I hope in your greyhounds case he will be assessed in the same manner.

I've tried that, rang GAP, and was told that I had to book the dog in and sign the dog over to get an assessment. And there was a long waiting list to get the assessment. Again, conflicting information.

Is there anyone from GAP Vic on the forum that could clear this up for me please?

Hopefully Larissa will come on and clarify. They might have changed their procedures since my friend had Flynn assessed. I know she definitely didn't sign him over to them. She took him up for the day and came home again with him.

What is the conflicting info? If you've heard it directly from them then surely they know better than Internet randoms?

Well that's all very well, but why would a person hand/sign over a dog they plan to keep as a pet when all they want is the green collar assessment?

So do you have a GAP assessed greyhound?

Edited by iggy mum

If you've phoned GAP, then the information you have been given is correct. We no longer do one off assessments but require the dog to stay with us for a week (this can range from 5 to 7 days, depending on when and how the owner wants to collect their dog).

The fee is $150 which includes the boarding, staff time and the collar.

I'm currently off work but when I was last in the office, we were fully booked up until September. We bring around 15 new dogs into the Program each week and simply can't take any more than that at present. We can certainly let you know if we have a cancellation prior and bring your dog in earlier.

You don't "sign the dog over" to us - the dog is yours and remains that way. You do have to sign a contract when you get him back with his collar because that is what the law requires (to go muzzle free the legislation states that the dog must be assessed by, and adopted under contract to, the Greyhound Adoption Program).

If you have further queries specific to the assessment process, it's best you phone GAP and talk to Melanie :)

If you've phoned GAP, then the information you have been given is correct. We no longer do one off assessments but require the dog to stay with us for a week (this can range from 5 to 7 days, depending on when and how the owner wants to collect their dog).

The fee is $150 which includes the boarding, staff time and the collar.

I'm currently off work but when I was last in the office, we were fully booked up until September. We bring around 15 new dogs into the Program each week and simply can't take any more than that at present. We can certainly let you know if we have a cancellation prior and bring your dog in earlier.

You don't "sign the dog over" to us - the dog is yours and remains that way. You do have to sign a contract when you get him back with his collar because that is what the law requires (to go muzzle free the legislation states that the dog must be assessed by, and adopted under contract to, the Greyhound Adoption Program).

If you have further queries specific to the assessment process, it's best you phone GAP and talk to Melanie :)

Thankyou for this information, it certainly clears up the uncertainty that I was told. But, when I rang GAP I was told that I had to complete a "Transfer Ownership to GAP" form as well as supply current vac certs before the dog could be assessed. The way I heard it was that the dog would stay with GAP. Perhaps there was a miscommunication in the telling/hearing. I've already booked the dog in for August but was concerned that he wouldn't be coming back to me. I will give them a ring today and confirm that this is what he is booked in for. Again, thanks heaps for your reply.

Not sure who you spoke with Iggy Mum but they must not have understood that it was a COLLAR ASSESSMENT. You don't sign a transfer of ownership for that, but your dog does need to be desexed and have a current C5 vaccination. When you call back, just make sure they understand it's a collar assessment. If you call today you'll get Caitlin.

What is the conflicting info? If you've heard it directly from them then surely they know better than Internet randoms?

Well that's all very well, but why would a person hand/sign over a dog they plan to keep as a pet when all they want is the green collar assessment?

The rules changed some years back. The dog remains yours but does come under the GAP umbrella so they need to be sure about it before issuing a green collar. There are legal requirements to be met. If you don't want to board it then don't do so. Most greyhounds could care less if they are wearing a muzzle or not. And yes I have had GAP greyhounds in the past. I don't understand why you don't believe what GAP told you :confused:

The rules changed some years back. The dog remains yours but does come under the GAP umbrella so they need to be sure about it before issuing a green collar. There are legal requirements to be met. If you don't want to board it then don't do so. Most greyhounds could care less if they are wearing a muzzle or not. And yes I have had GAP greyhounds in the past. I don't understand why you don't believe what GAP told you :confused:

Because they misinformed me by saying I had to sign the dog over to them. They obviously misunderstood what it was that I wanted. gapvic just answered my question, just look at the above post. Now I know what the requirements are I can sort it out properly.

Edited by iggy mum

Not sure who you spoke with Iggy Mum but they must not have understood that it was a COLLAR ASSESSMENT. You don't sign a transfer of ownership for that, but your dog does need to be desexed and have a current C5 vaccination. When you call back, just make sure they understand it's a collar assessment. If you call today you'll get Caitlin.

Just out of pure curiosity only, would your organisation accept a titre test instead of a vaccination certificate.

Always remembering the vaccination certificate says the dog has been vaccinated, where the titre test proves that the vaccination has worked. :)

Just out of pure curiosity only, would your organisation accept a titre test instead of a vaccination certificate.

Always remembering the vaccination certificate says the dog has been vaccinated, where the titre test proves that the vaccination has worked. :)

might be best to ring GAP direct. Remember the poster gapvic is on holidays :)