Can An 11 Year Old Dog Still Stud?

Guest donatella

Guest donatella

I've just seen an advert of someone wanting to stud out their 11 year old dog and it got me thinking is that even still possible at that age?

If it were me and I were considering using a dog that age, I'd like to see either recent puppies on the ground sired by him, or better still, a good semen evaluation.

But theoretically, if a dog is fit, healthy and still fertile, there is no real reason why he cannot be used, and used successfully.

I wonder if the semen quality reduces as they age, like humans. I also wonder if there is a greater chance of birth defects (although, as semen is produced "on demand", I believe age isn't an issue like it is for ovums).

I wonder if the semen quality reduces as they age, like humans. I also wonder if there is a greater chance of birth defects (although, as semen is produced "on demand", I believe age isn't an issue like it is for ovums).

Semen quality definitely deteriorates with age. I believe it also deteriorates with inactivity, so "use it or lose it" applies. As I said above, I'd want to see recent puppies or a proper semen evaluation done before I'd pay a stud fee or count on a "special" litter sired by a dog of that age.

But it isn't impossible.

Wow, you learn something new every day! I thought that would have been too old.

For a fit and active dog, no. But on the other hand I wouldn't recommend somebody just pull a senior citizen out of cobwebs and suddenly decide they want a litter by him with no planning or forethought. They might be lucky, but they just as likely won't be.

At least you'd know the dog had made it to 11 still fit enough to sire a litter, better than using a young dog that developed health issues later in life.

Yep, In fact I remember someone saying that at a seminar I went to years ago. Talking about some breeds in the US and popular sire syndrome - everyone using an imported dog young and the dog and his progeny going on to have hassles as they aged and it being near impossible to find lines clear of that dog 5 years down the track.

They went on to say that they think it better to only use them a few times while young and then when they reach double figures if they are healthy and able to do the deed. and the progeny from the litters they sired when they were young are healthy then they are a good contributor to the gene pool so let them be used a few more times.

We had a 14 year old kennelled when 'Sooki' was in season and he was keen and agile enough to mount.

He wasn't allowed though.

The semen must have a minmum sperm count of 200 -400 million, when a normal healthy count is 2000 -3000 million.

Too old? Not likely. They're mammals and its a boy thing.

At least you'd know the dog had made it to 11 still fit enough to sire a litter, better than using a young dog that developed health issues later in life.

Yep, In fact I remember someone saying that at a seminar I went to years ago. Talking about some breeds in the US and popular sire syndrome - everyone using an imported dog young and the dog and his progeny going on to have hassles as they aged and it being near impossible to find lines clear of that dog 5 years down the track.

They went on to say that they think it better to only use them a few times while young and then when they reach double figures if they are healthy and able to do the deed. and the progeny from the litters they sired when they were young are healthy then they are a good contributor to the gene pool so let them be used a few more times.

Definately agree and something i think about often.

Definately agree and something i think about often.

It was 1 of those things that really sat with me and I couldn't tell you much else from the weekend but I have always remembered that. Basically it was expanded on saying a dog should have no more contribution then a bitch would during the same time frame (and I think they said 2 to 7 years of age as average breeding ages for most breeds). At the point where you would retire a bitch from breeding, the dog should be left to continue to enjoy his life while you wait and see. By the time he is 10 you should have some 5 or so year old progeny to evaluate, as well as the health of the dog itself and if all of that is fine then use him a few more times.

I know I can definitely think of examples where a dog has been used prolifically only for problems to turn up in the progeny at 2 to 3 years of age by which stage there are already another dozen litters on the ground.