Pet Shops And Puppy Age?

Darkrai

I have a pic of their price tag stating 7wks with full price and members price...and doesnt mention a waiting time. Knowing this shop if someone walked in they would sell them a 7wk puppy.

I have a pic of their price tag stating 7wks with full price and members price...and doesnt mention a waiting time. Knowing this shop if someone walked in they would sell them a 7wk puppy.

Technically they can have the pup in there at 7 weeks, and take a holding deposit but legally can't sell it til it's 8 weeks old. (What actually happens in some establishments is anyones guess.

Tragically ironic is the fact that the pup would actually be better off in most homes at 7 weeks than in the shop isn't it! :(

Guest english.ivy

What do they do with the puppies who are getting too old and are still in their glass cage at the pet shop?

I went in to a pet store on the weekend [bad idea] :(

Word is new codes about to come in especially in Victoria will lower the age to 7 weeks.

Fact is decades ago puppies went home at 6 weeks and everyone was happy with that but vaccine protocols came in which said we had to keep em until the vax cut in - at 8 weeks assuming they are done at 6 weeks. New vaccines only need 3 days .

There is lots of research to suggest they are better off in their new homes at 7 weeks.

Word is new codes about to come in especially in Victoria will lower the age to 7 weeks.

Fact is decades ago puppies went home at 6 weeks and everyone was happy with that but vaccine protocols came in which said we had to keep em until the vax cut in - at 8 weeks assuming they are done at 6 weeks. New vaccines only need 3 days .

There is lots of research to suggest they are better off in their new homes at 7 weeks.

Certainly better off than in a glass cage in a Shopping Centre.

What do they do with the puppies who are getting too old and are still in their glass cage at the pet shop?

Dump them in rescue or put them down.

I was told years ago that they go back to the "breeder"

Dump them in rescue or put them down.

I was told years ago that they go back to the "breeder"

In that case it would be dump them on rescue, put them down or use from first season for breeding the next crop

i thought research and RSPCA said they were better off with their mums and littermates until at least 8 weeks - for immunity from mum's milk and for social skills with mum and litter mates.

They shouldn't be in the pet shop until at least 8 weeks. sigh. But I agree they'd mostly be better off in a home than the pet shop.

i thought research and RSPCA said they were better off with their mums and littermates until at least 8 weeks - for immunity from mum's milk and for social skills with mum and litter mates.

They shouldn't be in the pet shop until at least 8 weeks. sigh. But I agree they'd mostly be better off in a home than the pet shop.

At 6 weeks it is usually a pointless vaccine as they may, or may not be, covered by Mum's antibodies. Eight weeks vax is ideal, then rehomed at 10 weeks before second shot at 12 weeks, then another at 16 - 18 weeks. Of course, if you are using Protech that is a different story .....

They get the immunity from Mum via the placenta and the first few days of feeding - they are not more immune if they feed longer and most puppies are weaned prior to 8 weeks anyway.

Research into socialization points to them fitting into a new human environment between 7 and 8 weeks before the fear period cuts in as they learn what they need to know about how to be dogs prior to 7 weeks from their Mum's

Many years ago 7 weeks was a good age to go to a new home. They had time to settle before the first fear period hit.

Research into socialization points to them fitting into a new human environment between 7 and 8 weeks before the fear period cuts in as they learn what they need to know about how to be dogs prior to 7 weeks from their Mum's

:) should have kept reading before posting :o