Size Variation Between Dog And Bitch

Hounder

Hi all, This may seem like a sily question but it is one that has been bugging me for some time. I am planning on mating my dog and bitch at her next season. My dog is a good 5 inches or so taller than the bitch. My concern is that when they tie, is this going to be a problem for either the dog or bitch?

I know that there have been some weird and wonderful crosses with incredible size differences, but it is something that has been worrying me.

Cheers

I recently mated my very big dog with my very small bitch, not sure the exact height difference, but he is 39kg she is 26kg. We didn't have too much trouble once he got the hang of it, the had 1 hour and 25 minute tie. Just needed a couple of extra people to help me out.

What breed has a 5" height difference? :confused:

From a mating perspective try to stand the bitch on a higher platform or at least uphill. The bitch being much smaller will also need someone to support the combined weight under her chest as the dog will be very heavy for her. Once tied you need the bitch to stay on a higher level or get them both to lie down.

From a whelping perspective the puppies may be too large but more likely you will get some very big and some very small puppies. Don't expect the sizes to even out because they rarely do if you breed big to small.

Thank you for the replies. The breed is Deerhounds. My bitch is just shy of 30" and my boy is 35". I did ask our vet regarding his weight on top of her and he said that the dog will put most of his weight on his hind legs rather than on her.

Thank you Dancinbcs for the info. I was told that they would produce a mixture rather than averaging out...shame.

Thank you for the replies. The breed is Deerhounds. My bitch is just shy of 30" and my boy is 35". I did ask our vet regarding his weight on top of her and he said that the dog will put most of his weight on his hind legs rather than on her.

Thank you Dancinbcs for the info. I was told that they would produce a mixture rather than averaging out...shame.

Ok, that explains the huge height difference. :)

With a tall breed like that she may cope with weight better than the longer bodied breeds do but it would still be a good idea to sit on something sturdy and be ready to steady her under the chest.

Once they are tied if they move around and the height difference is too great, a solid block of wood under the bitches rear feet will help matters. The more tension there is, the longer they tie. That is why I used to train my BC stud dogs to lie down on command. I would lower the bitch and tell the dog to down at the same time. No chasing tied dogs around, everyone more relaxed and most ties no longer than 20 min.

I don't think you would have much trouble with Deerhounds.

I just look for an area with a height difference maybe somewhere with a small wide step if their is a height problem. :)

When I mated my bitch back in 2010 we did a fresh AI because of the size difference between the two dogs. My bitch was about 45kg (middle of the range for a bitch of my breed) and the dog 75kg (oversized for a dog of my breed), so a 30kg difference. I couldnt see my bitch holding that weight for too long, so opted for the AI. One AI, 11 puppies (and no huge monsters like their dad,lol. But there was a few bigguns in my other litter by him.

Edited by Kaffy Magee

• 2 weeks later...