Wanted: Schnauzer To Adopt

genry

Hi All,

My partner and I are looking to adopt a young/adult Schnauzer for our home. Does anyone have any tips as to how I go about finding one? I have emailed some breeders etc but thought someone might have another direction to point me in.

Any help would be appreciated :)

What size are you after ??

Most people who contact us say Schnauzer when infact they want the mini not the Standard .

All you can do is email the breeders or look at the mature dog pages.

Also be prpepared to wait as mature dogs are placed in like minded homes for the best fit

The standard schnauzers are very different personality wise to the mini schnauzers, apart from looks they are quite different dogs, If you haven't already I would plan on meeting a few of each breed to be sure which breed you are actually looking for :)

Thanks Ktig. That is a good idea. I have met some standard ones before and they were a bit more 'mellow' than the minis. It would be worth meeting them though to get a better idea.

Thanks Ktig. That is a good idea. I have met some standard ones before and they were a bit more 'mellow' than the minis. It would be worth meeting them though to get a better idea.

This is definitely not usual. They are lovely dogs in the right hands but they are very stubborn and smart. People often say they are the hardest of the schnauzers to live with and train.

This is definitely not usual. They are lovely dogs in the right hands but they are very stubborn and smart. People often say they are the hardest of the schnauzers to live with and train.

Nonsense. I have had both and the standard boy was not stubborn at all and did all he could to please. He was a joy to live with and would protect the family as well as his mini companion with his life. You are right in saying they are smart, but so are the minis.

I know a few standard breeders twodoggies and have a few standards in my family too, what I have written isn't "nonsense". They are wonderful dogs in the right hands but the breeders I know would only sell them to experienced homes because of their strong personalities.

To the OP - maybe PM becks. She is in the UK but knows a lot about the breed. If you want an older dog it might be worth getting a breeders rehome rather than a rescue as standard schnauzers are rare in Australia.

Edited by megan_

I've not found this from my personal experience, of the three sizes I would say the minis are by far the most mellow. I have done a bit of training with all 3 sizes, I think the standards have the most attitude and can be the more difficult of the 3 to work with. Giants are pretty full-on too, lots of energy in a BIG dog!

]

Nonsense. I have had both and the standard boy was not stubborn at all and did all he could to please. He was a joy to live with and would protect the family as well as his mini companion with his life. You are right in saying they are smart, but so are the minis.

Two doggies it isn't non sense at all.

The Stds & any decent breeder will tell you as those who have had many dealings with the breed that whilst highly intelligent they can be extremely stubborn ,dominant & very quick to rule the roost with the wrong owners.

I have been involved with both sizes for nearly 30 years now & in Standards have experienced the all facets of the breed temps especially those with a high working drive.

This description of the Standard is one of the best i have read

A FAMILY DOG that thrives best on close interaction with his human family, it needs the proper outlet for its above-average intelligence that only living as a family dog can provide. The Standard Schnauzer possesses a very clever, inquisitive, creative and sometimes stubbornly determined mind along with a great sense of self-dignity. Properly and carefully raised, they make an affectionate friend and confidante for the children of the immediate family

Any breeder that says otherwise is not telling the truth ,Stubborn isn't a dirty word but an honest aspect that this variety can display & any prospective owner should be aware of

I had a friend who did obedience with hers & it was the States top Obedience dog for many years running & even till this day she comments on the stubborn streak of this variety & it did all dog sports & she does lecture Aussie wide .

Many of us Schnauzer folk often refer to this size as the "dog with a human brain " due to there intelligence after all there success at many aspects of dog sport just proves that & the fact they are one of the breeds used as Cancer detection dogs in the US

People under estimate the working nature of the Std & whilst loyal to there family they will take every inch if allowed & as such people planning to own a Std should be aware of the pro's & cons .

With the right owners they area marvelous pet but they are not bigger versions of Minis & of the 3 sizes are the hardest to live with

Edited by showdog

Understood. Then I must have had an exception to the breed standard. He was never 'stubborn', obeyed in every sense of the word, and you didn't have to tell him twice, or 'order' him to do anything. You just had to basically carry on in a normal speaking voice and he did what was asked of him. Our family was blessed to have such a wonderful companion in the family and we would have taken in another standard, but decided on the smaller mini because of our age.

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

My partner and I are looking to adopt a young/adult Schnauzer for our home. Does anyone have any tips as to how I go about finding one? I have emailed some breeders etc but thought someone might have another direction to point me in.

Any help would be appreciated :)

Hi Genry, I know of a beautiful pedigree standard male schnauzer in Sydnney looking for a home. I think he is anyway. Are you still interested.

Please email me [email protected]. I personally would have taken him, but my last standard died only recently and my heart isn't quite ready to take on another one. They can be very stubborn and wilful but i wouldn

t have it any other way.

Cheers, Wendy