Dog Doors

As the heading says Can you get dog doors for medium sized dogs?

Mine are 21inches at shoulder height and around 22kg.

I'm seriously looking into doggy doors as mine want to go outside at least once during the night and also if I go out for more than a couple of hours I have to lock them inside.

Thanks

Do you rent or own? Do you want it fitted into a solid/security screen door or will it go into a sliding glass/screen door? Do you want a doggy door that is permanently fitted or one that can be taken and used in anywhere? There a number of options, you need to decide which type is best for you.

Bunnings have them, they are typically a lot cheaper than pet shops that sell them. If yu have a sliding door, the pig in mud doors are excellent and easy to install. HERE is an old thread about them.

I have one - mini schnauzer sized - got robbed twice through it!

Oops, always a risk I guess.

I put in a 'large' which works fine for both the greyhound and the chis (plastic clear flap). At the time I was looking, I read some reviews of dog doors somewhere which considered things like: would they be noisy at night (for example); did the flap blow up in strong wind? how heavy is the door - some have more heavy, metal doors. Might be worth a search (or go with the installer person's recommendation. He wouldn't put them in if they didn't work OK).

I ended up with a common brand you can get at Petbarn but I'm very happy with it.

Got locked out once and considered crawling through the dog door - figured my hips wouldn't fit through - it wouldn't be that easy to do but kids and skinnies no doubt could. At my place they'd be faced with four unhappy dogs though. Love the dog door - great invention.

Always a risk, and the larger the door the greater the risk. My dad used to be a locksmith and you would be surprised by the number of break ins that occur through doggy doors. Me personally? I'd never get one larger than a JRT sized one simply because of this issue, if the door is not secure you won't be covered by insurance...A medium/large doggy door will mean it is unsecure simply because someone can fit through it

Always a risk, and the larger the door the greater the risk. My dad used to be a locksmith and you would be surprised by the number of break ins that occur through doggy doors. Me personally? I'd never get one larger than a JRT sized one simply because of this issue, if the door is not secure you won't be covered by insurance...A medium/large doggy door will mean it is unsecure simply because someone can fit through it

The insurance did pay up twice, even though the second police report said that this is how they gained access. The first set of numpty police insisted that I must have left a door unlocked, which I hadn't. They also insisted that they were druggies and wouldn't come back, but they returned that night but couldn't get in. They returned again 2 days later and stole my laptop which was in my bedroom during the first robbery, which is where the dogs would have run to.

The second police officer told me that it was common and some professional thieves look for houses with dogs because they're likely to have dog doors. My dogs put on one hell of a show if someone pitches up when I'm home. Alone, with no back up, most dogs run and hide, and maybe growl a bit.

The insurance did pay up twice, even though the second police report said that this is how they gained access. The first set of numpty police insisted that I must have left a door unlocked, which I hadn't. They also insisted that they were druggies and wouldn't come back, but they returned that night but couldn't get in. They returned again 2 days later and stole my laptop which was in my bedroom during the first robbery, which is where the dogs would have run to.

The second police officer told me that it was common and some professional thieves look for houses with dogs because they're likely to have dog doors. My dogs put on one hell of a show if someone pitches up when I'm home. Alone, with no back up, most dogs run and hide, and maybe growl a bit.

Lucky you! about the insurance I mean, I guess it depends on your insurance company and the police report

I was worried about this aswell, so iv fitted mine to the laundry door then i put beds and what not in the laundry then i took the normal (hollow) door to the rest of the house and replaced it with an external door with a dead bolt and we can lock that if we feel the need.