Photo Finish

tlc

I can't believe the girl at the rspca ignored the brief about doco style shooting and put up a posed shot. Not an easy shoot that's for sure.

yeah, I was pretty shocked that she just couldn't help herself :laugh:

But I am a Wagga girl myself and our local papers certainly don't do any candid shots at all! So maybe she just couldn't get it!

I actually think the camera wasn't the best for this shoot. It didn't seem to have a good ability to handle low-light, which didn't make it easy for them with a lot of activity going on indoors.

What mainly surprised me was that she didn't choose one of the shots with the greyhounds which would have fitted the brief.

It certainly gave me an appreciation of just how challenging photojournalism is.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was yelling at the tv. Again.

They all needed to take a step back and let it happen. So frustrating. But I shoot PJ a lot - even in session work. It's lovely and organic and my favourite thing.

• 2 weeks later...

I was going to post in here earlier but too busy posting elsewhere! :rofl:

I can't wait to watch tonights, I take heaps of shots with my iPhone and it might be interesting to see what they come up with.

But the dressage is on tonight at 8.00.

I'll have to call in tomorrow to see what the non-Olympics people think of street photography with a mobile phone. Both of those aspects are interesting, although there is some terrible stuff presented under the name of 'street' wrong on a lot of levels. Mobile phones can give some terrific results and some people might be more comfortable with one than previous entrants have appeared with a camera.

If the reports sounds good I'll catch a replay. Back to the Games.

I just finished watching and totally agree Snook, it's a pity she didn't lighten the image slightly on the left side of the mans face but it was definatley spot on fitting the brief perfectly.

A PJ thread would be awesome it's something I've always been interested in but never really shot much of, might pop a new thread up now, I've started a few in the last week what's one more and it seems like there might be some interst. I wont put it in challenges I'll put it in photos so it can be ongoing.

:laugh: me too. I think I'll be like that girl on the show, way to shy to actually ask people if I can take their picture! Actually do you have to ask people? I think there was a thread on it a while ago, think I even posted in it. Must go have a look, I know it was long but I'm not sure there was a definitive answer about getting people permission? I could be wrong.

Edited by tlc

Yea I remember now I think it started out with someone querying about someone taking a random picture of their kids. It did get a bit out of hand if I remember rightly :laugh:

I agreed Snook, I thought either of the other two photos were much better than the one they picked, Admittedly it would have been tough in the light she had to work with but they told her the camera was capable of dealing with the low light but she didn't seem to take them on board. I felt most of her shots she was just snapping away hoping to capture something. I guess thats all she could do considering the group she had to work with. She did also seem genuinley shocked at winning. The judges made out that the shot was a deliberate set up shot but I don't think it was, just a snap in amongst all the others.

Did anyone happen to see exactly what camera was used, it was definaltey a canon, my guess was 7D or the 5D but they made sure everytime the camera was on the camera the cameras badge wasn't visible. I was waiting for them to mention it at the start but they never did.